U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 09:46 PM

1 posts, read 9,507 times

Advertisements

I used to live in Boston years ago and is planning on moving back. Long story but I just love to be around black folks and their communities. Lately I been hearing about gentrification in Roxbury and other so called "ghettos" in Boston...which would be roxbury, lower dorchester, and mattapan.

So my question is...

If you were to drive into roxbury, dorchester, or mattapan in the year 2012
what are your feelings about the DEMOGRAPHICS (e.g. percentage of whites, blacks, asians, hispanics, etc) of these neighborhoods

PLEASE!!! I"M JUST ASKING FOR YOUR PERSONAL ESTIMATE..

SO NO RESPONSES ABOUT RACE/DISCRIMINATION/"POLITICALLY INCORRECTNESS" and that b.s.

JUST TELL IT THE WAY IT IS
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 07:29 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,679,820 times
In each of those neighborhoods, it will depend a bit on which street you happen to pick. They all still have large black populations, but also quite a bit of other ethnicities. Roxbury has a large latino population, as does Dorchester. Dorchester also has a large asian community. Both Dot and Rox also have quite a few white residents. Matapan is probably the least diverse at this point, so it might be closest to what you want.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:17 AM

2,269 posts, read 4,115,319 times
The percentage of whites in Dorchester and Mattapan has been declining with every census since the '60s, when both were practically all white. The first blacks to settle in those neighborhoods were genuine African Americans. Now the cultures and ethnicities are more complex-- lots of Haitians and other West Indians and some Africans. Dorchester has Asians and Roxbury has people from Cape Verde. Roxbury is very Latino along the edge of Jamaica Plain. Whites in Roxbury are mainly in Fort Hill and Mission Hill. In Dorchester whites are all along the red line although very much mixed with others. It's still predominantly white in southeastern Dot. So you have lots to choose from!

Old 05-10-2012, 06:40 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,371,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznjojo View Post
I used to live in Boston years ago and is planning on moving back. Long story but I just love to be around black folks and their communities. Lately I been hearing about gentrification in Roxbury and other so called "ghettos" in Boston...which would be roxbury, lower dorchester, and mattapan.
So, I guess "gentrification" (whatever you mean by that) and being black are mutually exclusive? Funny, I live in Roxbury and there are a fair amount of "buppies" around me. But, never you fear, there are still plenty of black people of all kinds (and nationalities) in those neighborhoods. So, I doubt you'll have a problem finding what you're looking for ... whatever that might be.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:11 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,987,464 times
Mostly Black, Dorchester does still have a Irish section near Quincy, and The South End is growing into "Regular" Roxbury but all 3 are predominantly Black. There are some white people on the Mattapan/Dorchester Border going down where the Morton/Gallivan switch happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Whites in Roxbury are mainly in Fort Hill
HOLY CRAP! I completely forgot about that place, good call.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:45 PM

13,258 posts, read 5,710,487 times
You should first know the concentration isn't really there anymore. We've moved south and north into the burbs.

To the south-Milton is 15-20% AfAm, Avon is 20% AfAM, Randolph is 45% AfAM Canton is ~6-8% AfAm, Stoughton is ~10-12% AfAm.

To the north-Lynn, Malden and Everett are both 15% AfAm. Somerville and Chelsea are 8% AfAm. Revere is 5% AfAm

Waltham Newton and Brookline are all about 5% black and Cambridge is 12%.

Geographically, the heart of the black community is now roughly Franklin Field. Politically and socially, it would be Grove Hall.

Roxbury in 2014 is prolly 45% Black 35% Latino 15% White and 5% mixed

Dorchester 40% Black 25% White 15% latino 10% asian 10% mixed

Mattapan 75% Black 15% Latino 5% Mixed 5% white

Hyde Park 50% Black 25% White 20% Latino 5% Mixed

YES HYDE PARK BECAME A BLACK NEIGHBORHOOD WHILE YOU LEFT. It became solidly more AA than Dorchester by ~2007-2010.
The South End became white.
Westie is only 70% white now

Rozzy is a majority minority neighborhood now. ~25% Latino 20% AFAM 5%mixed 5%asian

Old 03-03-2014, 05:27 PM

729 posts, read 807,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
You should first know the concentration isn't really there anymore. We've moved south and north into the burbs.

To the south-Milton is 15-20% AfAm, Avon is 20% AfAM, Randolph is 45% AfAM Canton is ~6-8% AfAm, Stoughton is ~10-12% AfAm.

To the north-Lynn, Malden and Everett are both 15% AfAm. Somerville and Chelsea are 8% AfAm. Revere is 5% AfAm

Waltham Newton and Brookline are all about 5% black and Cambridge is 12%.

Geographically, the heart of the black community is now roughly Franklin Field. Politically and socially, it would be Grove Hall.

Roxbury in 2014 is prolly 45% Black 35% Latino 15% White and 5% mixed

Dorchester 40% Black 25% White 15% latino 10% asian 10% mixed

Mattapan 75% Black 15% Latino 5% Mixed 5% white

Hyde Park 50% Black 25% White 20% Latino 5% Mixed

YES HYDE PARK BECAME A BLACK NEIGHBORHOOD WHILE YOU LEFT. It became solidly more AA than Dorchester by ~2007-2010.
The South End became white.
Westie is only 70% white now

Rozzy is a majority minority neighborhood now. ~25% Latino 20% AFAM 5%mixed 5%asian
Can't forget about the smaller towns of Holbrook (9%), Avon (10%) and the city of Brockton (31%)!

This thread is kind of dated but it's a great relic of CD's past, added to the fact that OP moved away years prior. I grew up in a less segregated Boston metro, I can't imagine the days when you could really only find Black folk in Boston (Rox, Dot, SE, etc.).

Not to mention the Black community in Boston is now dominated by CV, West Indian, AA and a burgeoning African (Nigerian, Ghanian, etc.) diaspora.

Last edited by MassNative2891; 03-03-2014 at 05:38 PM..

Old 03-03-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
Can't forget about the smaller towns of Holbrook (9%), Avon (10%) and the city of Brockton (31%)!

This thread is old but it's a great relic of CD's past. I grew up in a less segregated Boston metro, I can't imagine the days when you could really only find Black folk in Boston (Rox, Dot, SE, etc.).

Not to mention the Black community in Boston is now dominated by CV, West Indian, AA and a burgeoning African (Nigerian, Ghanian, etc.) diaspora.
Avon is hard to get data on but 'm pretty sure its quite higher than 10% AfAm, there Junior-Senior High School is 30% AfAm. And Brockton was 32% as of 2010, after having been 17% in 2000, so seeing as it is 2014, and things don't seem to be moving in the opposite direction I'd expect it would be about 35% Af Am by now at least.

I also wouldn't say its DOMINATED by those groups. Its still clearly AA with the most influence followed by Haitians then Puerto Ricans and possibly CV's and the Africans are much newer and sort of a non-factor up to this point.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:58 PM

729 posts, read 807,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Avon is hard to get data on but 'm pretty sure its quite higher than 10% AfAm, there Junior-Senior High School is 30% AfAm. And Brockton was 32% as of 2010, after having been 17% in 2000, so seeing as it is 2014, and things don't seem to be moving in the opposite direction I'd expect it would be about 35% Af Am by now at least.

I also wouldn't say its DOMINATED by those groups. Its still clearly AA with the most influence followed by Haitians then Puerto Ricans and possibly CV's and the Africans are much newer and sort of a non-factor up to this point.
If we had to go by ethnicity, it have to be split between AA and CV (Politics) and AA/West Indian for Social; For population though, it's very West Indian/CV outside of the city.

I did say dominated but hear out my context. Boston before was a VERY AA city, it is really multi-ethnic now (Within our African American context of course) . So many civil rights activist came here during the Civil Rights era and left a lasting legacy. Leading up to the 90's Boston was very AA, with Cape Verdeans around as well.

Nowadays though, I think our metro has so many different types of viable black communities outside of the AA/CV enclaves, that actually contribute socially, politically, and economically.

Remember, when people talk about Mattapan going Brown; that was due to AA's not the West Indians and Latinos we see today. They replaced the original African American populace in the 90's.

Most of the minority officials in Boston are of CV or AA descent but outside of city limits; it's a different ball game.

You're right about the African part though, that's a suburban Boston uptick. Based of the census West Indians now make up 108,912 of the 368,133 AA's. I think the reason this isn't as visible in the city, is because the high rate that the West Indians and Africans have moved out the city in recent years.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:14 PM

At the same time though, There are many African Americans still in the city and I think overall they still make a slight majority of Blacks overall. I agree political wise its AA/CV and socially absolutely AA/WI. I think this give AA the overall dominance still and talk to most any Boston Black teen, there gonna seem AA until they mention there Trini or Haitian or Jamaican but they're so assimilated. I think most AA's now go to private school and Metco. And yes African thing is definitely more of a suburban phenomenon. Pockets of Boston are still AA dominated, most notably the heart of Roxbury and the Franklin Field Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston