Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 11:50 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,472,836 times

Advertisements

Castle Island park sometimes has more Asians hanging out than Chinatown. I used to think there were so many Asians hanging in Southie it was indicative of a different weird problem.

There are always plenty of Black folks hanging in pleasure bay as well. Nobody seems to have a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 06:00 PM

5,788 posts, read 5,102,477 times
There are many "types" of Asians, just like there are many different Europeans. South Boston, like Dorchester, is favored by the Southeastern Asians like the Vietnamese, filipinos and Cambodians. The Chinese and the Indians tend to go for Quincy and other points south like Sharon and Canton. The Vietnamese like to fish because Vietnam has a very long coastline...that is why you see these "Asians"-Vietnamese- fishing at Castle island park.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:54 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,799,060 times
South Boston is nothing like it was back in the 70s and 80s. Heck, even until the mid-90s South Boston is a lot different than it is today.

Lots of gentrification, a large amount of condos and the like have been built and are being built. It really is crazy the building boom that has happened over the last 5-7 years in the neighborhood. I have lived in South Boston for almost 4 years and the amount of new buildings that have been built and empty lots that have been filled in is amazing.

As such, South Boston is a prime area for burglars. You have a large amount of young professionals, a good amount of which have some money, who are working all day.

In my experience, a lot of the locals are somewhat bitter towards the new people, calling us yuppies and p*ssed off that the places that were once affordable are now out of their reach. There are also a number of them that have seen a nice windfall from either selling their homes to developers, or renting out places passed down through the family to renters.

Old 05-10-2016, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,786 times
Neighborhoods like Hells kitchen in New York in the Sunset District in San Francisco have been gentrified over the past couple years. But Crocker Park San Francisco (CPSF) still holds on to it strong Irish roots in is a rough neighborhood in the South East part of San Francisco.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:39 AM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Wow. I forgot I commented on this thread many years ago.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:33 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,970 times
back in the 70's/80's/part of the 90's all of the major cities in the u.s.a had crime and drug problems. south boston used to be an irish ghetto but is fairly affluent now; redlining created ethnic divisiveness that still exists a generation later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzKong View Post
I'm a Filipino-American looking to move into this part of the city but a few of my friends have told me that its still a bit racist.

For people who live in South Boston now, or have in the past, have anyone noticed any racism in the area?
i havent been in south boston in 5 years but all of boston (all of the u.s.a.) is still bit racist so i dont think its isolated to just south boston.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:18 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,320,773 times
Default Re

It's pretty much fine here but there are some projects and the area near andrew station is a bit rough. Remember that story a few years ago where the girl was held at gunpoint at an atm by some junkies...then killed. Very sad.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:55 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
It's pretty much fine here but there are some projects and the area near andrew station is a bit rough. Remember that story a few years ago where the girl was held at gunpoint at an atm by some junkies...then killed. Very sad.
I frequent the Polish triangle and like to meet some friends over there. Used to just wait for them at the T station. I do NOT recommend that.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:14 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,668,702 times
I ran into a really rough crowd the other day at Bon Me ... Let's not even talk about Flour! I'd avoid Southie if I were you ...

Old 07-09-2016, 02:27 PM

26 posts, read 159,301 times
Southie is not really rough at all. It does however, have an drug problem, but every town in MA has that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston