Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 05:40 PM

5 posts, read 12,004 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Boston from San antonio, Texas from July 1st onwards.We are married and my husband's workplace would be 655, huntington avenue, Harvard School of public health, Harvard University, 02115. I was looking for one bedroom or studio type (with kitchen) apartments in brookline and huntington avenue.I enquired many nearby apartments, either they were sublets or sharing type and one BR/studio is not available until aug-sep.I have even searched in craigslist and many are redirected to realtors.I don't want to get stuck with realtors as i can't see the apartment in person.I don't know many are real or not. I don't have any contacts in Boston.I need a safe place to stay as my husband is in research i have to be alone most of the time.I need some information about T line trains i heard that red line trains would be easier to commute.Kindly clarify this.
I got some 1 BR apartment in Allston.But we had to go and sign in person.So we are confused and now looking for other places also.Does Allston has good transportation and is it safe? Which place would be safer,easy to commute to my husband's workplace, also if any indian community lives nearby that's well and good.I am looking for a quiet and clean apartment with t-red lines access within 1000-1100 dollars.A somewhat spacious studio with kitchen is also fine.We are looking apartments near to his lab but he can travel upto 20-25 mins if we couldn't get anything nearby.If anyone lives in huntington avenue or nearby this school kindly give some information about the apartments.I need your valuable suggestions and help regarding this.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 06:02 PM

12 posts, read 25,171 times
The red line goes to Harvard's undergrad campus NOT the school of public which is in Longwood medical area (WAY WAY away from the undergrad campus)

You want to live on the E BRANCH of the GREEN line OR along the 39 bus route - see MBTA.com > Official Website for Greater Boston's Public Transportation System - for public transit easy to HSPH

Don't live in Alston unless you're 19 to 22 and drink all day and night or enjoy listening to people who do

For a convenient commute, you want to live in Jamaica Plain, Brookline Village (or possibly other areas - but the Brookline Village area is the best commute), Newton or (possibly) Mission Hill. (I've lived and worked in these areas for nearly four decades and commuted to Longwood on many occasions..JP probably has better housing stock and greenspace but no train (the 39 bus instead), Brookline Village is a bit more $ but more convenient, Newton is more family oriented although the commute would be trickier and living there without a car may be challenging, Mission Hill may not be as desirable as the other areas but is very convenient.)

DO NOT rule out using a real estate agent - they are used to people in your situation and may be very helpful to you (I am a private landlord of one unit - I strictly rent through Realtors as to MANY private landlords of the better apartments (often privately owned condos, etc not run by big mass landlords who own multiple properties )) - look at agents in Brookline Village area - I know there are a few there I would trust - do a google search 'brookline village rental agent' to get phone numbers

Since you don't seem to need parking or a lot of space you should be fine finding a place - don't forget it will cost you quite a bit though to move in (first, last rent)

Good luck and enjoy Boston

Old 05-21-2012, 07:41 PM

So nice to see your reply beachbum3. Thankyou for giving lot of information, especially on the green line, because i was clueless regarding the trains. So as per your advice i will look into brookline village, but is there any way to go to cambridge or harvard square from there?
Regarding the realtors, I will try to get the numbers as you said, but could you give me some numbers of trustful realtors.
We don't have plans to bring our car there for now,so no need of parking space.
Thankyou so much

Old 05-21-2012, 08:39 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,248,532 times
From the Brookline Village area, you can take the Green Line inbound 7 stops to Park Street and transfer to the Red Line, 2 stops to Cambridge, 4 stops to Harvard (~20-25 minutes).

Old 05-21-2012, 10:40 PM

Thankyou so much vfrex for your information.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:52 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,108,654 times
Last time I looked at Craigslist Boston, there was a way to screen out realtors from the results and see only owner-advertised apartments.

Here ya go - craigslist | apartments

Old 05-22-2012, 05:51 AM

226 posts, read 586,280 times
As BeachBum suggests, you are interested in the Green Line (E branch) rather than the Red line (which is for Harvard's main campus). I live a couple blocks from HSPH just on the other side of the Museum of Fine Arts (incidentally, a great reason to live in the area). My neighborhood--next to the Longwood neighborhood in which HSPH is located--is called Fenway, which I noticed BeachBum did not recommend. Personally, I would HIGHLY recommend it, especially if you are going to be dependent on public transportation. There are two parts of Fenway, the one west of the Fens call Fenway-Kenmore, and the one east of the Fens, sometimes called Symphony. Both are just a couple blocks from HSPH. Fenway-Kenmore is a bit more professional, Symphony has a much more studenty vibe and is dominated by Northeastern University. Both are very safe and there are some "adult" buildings in Symphony, but if you want to steer clear of any student-ghetto vibe, stick to Fenway-Kenmore. The prices here in Fenway are a bit higher than you are looking to pay, so maybe JP or Mission Hill are possibilities though JP is not quite as convenient or interesting (in my opinion) and Mission Hill can be a little rough around the edges (but nothing scary).

Old 05-22-2012, 09:41 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,879,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeeskar View Post
So nice to see your reply beachbum3. Thankyou for giving lot of information, especially on the green line, because i was clueless regarding the trains. So as per your advice i will look into brookline village, but is there any way to go to cambridge or harvard square from there?
Regarding the realtors, I will try to get the numbers as you said, but could you give me some numbers of trustful realtors.
We don't have plans to bring our car there for now,so no need of parking space.
Thankyou so much
From Brookline Village, you can either take the Green Line to Red Line, as another suggested, or you can take the 66 bus, which goes directly to Harvard Square.

Regarding the overall question -- places to live -- you can expand your options a bit depending on how comfortable you are with more complex transportation options. You can, for example, live on the Orange Line, or one of three different commuter rail lines that all stop at Ruggles (with a shuttle from there to Harvard's Longwood campus). Likewise, if you are particularly interested in living on the Red Line, there is a shuttle from Harvard Square to the medical/public health site.

I know somebody who lives in Somerville and uses that shuttle to commute to the School of Public Health. I used to know somebody who lived in Roslindale who took the commuter rail to Ruggles, then shuttle from there. From what both have said, these are reasonable commutes, and needless to say, Somerville and Roslindale are less expensive than Brookline or JP.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:19 AM

Thankyou so much Woof,tombstoner and HenryAlan.Glad to see such good helping people in the forum.
Tombstoner now i understood Green line is more comfortable to commute to HSPH, and Fenway, Jamaica plain, Mission Hill and Brookline are the nearest places, the travel time in public transportation is 15-20 mins, and drive 5-7 mins.But fenway/kenmore is quite expensive but nice place to live in.

I got lot of info from Henryalan's post i understood we can live outskirts of boston and hence there is different modes of transportation it would be easy to travel and rent would be less. Am i right?
Actually my husband wants to stay near his school because I have to be alone and his work won't be from 9-5 as he is in research, if he comes even in late evenings/nights i should stay safe, that is his priority but i think it won't fit in our budget. I think i can look around Brookline/MH/JP if i couldn't find any then i can go for Fenway and then Somerville/Roslindale.If anyone comes to know any vacant affordable (1 BR/ studio with kitchen) apartments in Brookline/MH/JP/ Fenway or even in your own apartments, Kindly let me know.Thanks a lot and i highly appreciate your help.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:47 PM

56 posts, read 72,498 times
You could try to get a summer sublet from a current student before committing to a full year lease so that you both can get used to the area before deciding where to rent long-term. See if your husband can get access to a website or listserve that lists student sublets (he can probably get information from his department at HSPH). Also, the HSPH website has numerous resources on housing, you should check it out if you haven't already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston