Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 11:02 PM

925 posts, read 2,745,345 times

Advertisements

The worst traffic In America? It's not Los Angeles - Yahoo! Autos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 12:20 AM

67 posts, read 167,846 times
This is surprising. I think the problem with Boston is that there aren't enough highways that go to and from the city. (All they really have are routes 93, 90, and 9). Los Angeles area traffic is overrated. Boston traffic is worse than Los Angeles in my opinion. Southern California has so many freeways that if there's traffic on one, you can switch to another and avoid traffic. I think if Boston expanded their amount of highways and number of lanes, this would help immensely with their traffic problem.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:35 AM

86 posts, read 254,604 times
Not really surprising, mostly from what YahYouBetcha pointed out. Limited number of routes and typically 4 lanes max, usually just 3.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:36 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,206,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YahYouBetcha View Post
This is surprising. I think the problem with Boston is that there aren't enough highways that go to and from the city. (All they really have are routes 93, 90, and 9). Los Angeles area traffic is overrated. Boston traffic is worse than Los Angeles in my opinion. Southern California has so many freeways that if there's traffic on one, you can switch to another and avoid traffic. I think if Boston expanded their amount of highways and number of lanes, this would help immensely with their traffic problem.
Boston sits on a much smaller footprint than Los Angeles! Therefore, where would you add your proposed extra highways and lanes without displacing thousands of homes and a price tag that would be higher than our Big Dig project????

The only real option is to have less cars going into the city, like what London does and to add more public transportation. Personally, I would like to see less people living and working in Boston.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:55 AM

10,758 posts, read 23,861,094 times
The interchanges and bottlenecks are bad too. Especially the 128-95/93 interchange in is Reading horrible and dangerous with the cross merges. Most other metros with interchanges this busy have flyovers, heck even Albuquerque has flyovers on the I-25/I-40 interchange. I-495/I-93 interchange needs to be rebuilt also, those antiquated cloverleafs are causing a lot of congestion. The bottleneck from 3 to 2 lanes on US Hwy 1 in Revere is especially bad also. Add a lane from Rt 60 to 99 and it would get traffic flowing better there. The Southeast Expressway? Well that would take some monumental engineering to rebuild that road and solve its congestion, and is really not attainable for Boston for at least another 20 years as the residual Big Dig cost will be around for many years to come. At least the traffic on the Central Artery and Airport tunnels has vastly improved. They could possibly add an HOV lane to 95/128, and tell Mass DOT to stop wasting money on replacing highway signs on ones that don't need to be replaced, they've wasted a lot of stimulus dollars doing that when it could have been put to much better use.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 05-25-2012 at 08:06 AM..

Old 05-25-2012, 08:16 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,206,433 times
Twenty years ago, our highways were adequate. The difference today is that Boston's population has grown and the area around the city more developed with business and residential real estate. The solution is not adding more highways and roads. Plus whose going to pay for all of that!! We need to downsize the population! Move the business centers and people to areas that are less congested.

We need to downsize the population of our planet and to a culture addicted to personal motor vehicles for transportation. Instead of building more roads, we need to put the money into our commuter rail system.

Lastly, as a whole, we have to stop thinking that continuous growth and development/construction equals success. That sort of philosophy only gives short term prosperity, and then we have to deal with the long term consequences of severe congestion or empty abandoned buildings.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:21 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,405,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Boston sits on a much smaller footprint than Los Angeles! Therefore, where would you add your proposed extra highways and lanes without displacing thousands of homes and a price tag that would be higher than our Big Dig project????

The only real option is to have less cars going into the city, like what London does and to add more public transportation. Personally, I would like to see less people living and working in Boston.
London has the congestion charge for traffic entering Central London. It's actually helped. Perhaps Boston should consider doing the same, but only in lieu of improvements and expansion of its public transport network, namely rail and subway. As good as Boston's public transport is by American standards, it is not as extensive as what you'd find in a European city of similar size.

The roads do need improving though, particularly I-95/128, which was the bane of my existence for several months. The road should be widened to dual 5 lanes, major intersections should be modernised to cope with 2012 traffic levels and 2012 vehicles (as these cause so many bottlenecks and were designed in the 50's).

I do not think you can build more freeways in Boston itself. The key is improving public transport.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:02 AM

782 posts, read 1,088,439 times
There should have been a ban on commercial expansion along RT.128 a long time ago. Officials should have forced that growth out towards and along RT.495.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:31 PM

61 posts, read 202,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Twenty years ago, our highways were adequate. The difference today is that Boston's population has grown and the area around the city more developed with business and residential real estate. The solution is not adding more highways and roads. Plus whose going to pay for all of that!! We need to downsize the population! Move the business centers and people to areas that are less congested.

We need to downsize the population of our planet and to a culture addicted to personal motor vehicles for transportation. Instead of building more roads, we need to put the money into our commuter rail system.

Lastly, as a whole, we have to stop thinking that continuous growth and development/construction equals success. That sort of philosophy only gives short term prosperity, and then we have to deal with the long term consequences of severe congestion or empty abandoned buildings.
Older folks I know speak the same about route 128/95. There used to be only traffic during rush hour. Now, at almost any time of day aside from 12am-5am, there is a constant flow of traffic. New condos/apartment complexes towering over the highway are not only an eyesore but just add to the traffic problems.

The last part of your post is spot on. Too many people are stuck in a mentality that the only way to 'prosper' is to keep building, to keep expanding, and to keep consuming. This is a death sentence and is a classic 'quantity over quality' mindset that will make everyone unhappy in the long term. It's how this whole country has operated for most of its history and isn't sustainable for the future.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:31 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,808,390 times
You can expand the highways as much as you want and add more of them, in the end it won't matter. Mass transit is the key to alleviating traffic.

As others have mentioned, Boston is a very dense city and sits on a much smaller footprint than Los Angeles does.

Besides, one of the nicer things about the Boston area is that it's not littered with a ton of highways like some cities are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston