Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-22-2007, 03:28 PM
 
46 posts, read 202,035 times
Reputation: 18

Advertisements

I visited Boston last week with my lil ones and only managed to briefly stop in Brookline....the first impression I got was it was a very quiet place...is that so??
I had narrowed down Brookline, Lexington and Arlington as potential towns to move to. My husband will be taking another trip in Dec by himself to find out more about the areas. My reasons for choosing these towns are
-close proximity to Boston
-good schools
However I have no idea if there is enough to do in these towns alone without having to go to Boston.
My rental budget is around 2500 +/_ 200, and eventually will be looking to buy around 650K ...I am aware that for that I will get a condo in brookline and maybe bit more in Arlington.......but if anyone has anymore info on these towns it will be greatly appreciated....how is the community in these areas and attitudes towards newcomers!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-22-2007, 07:13 PM
 
Location: North Adams, MA
746 posts, read 3,499,662 times
Reputation: 815
Brookline is a town within the city of Boston, seperate and independent, just look at a map and its ideal locaton. It has its own mansions, but also apartments and condos. Very diverse, depeding on the neighborhood, and well served by the MBTA. Better schools than Boston. Better public services.

Most people in Brookline still see Boston as their cultural and sports destination, and Fenway Park is just a few blocks from the east border of Brookline. The downtown area is probably Coolidge Corner and vicinity.

I once lived in a very large apartment on Dwight Street, near there. I also lived at the other end of Beacon Street, near Cleveland Circle and the Reservoir T stops which was a little further out. Would bump into Mike Dukakis hanging on a trolley strap every morning. We all left him alone, he was on his way to the State House. It was one of the things I liked best about Boston, the commonality of the community. Times have changed, of course.

You might do some further research on line on Brookline, it has a fascnating history and progressive leadership. Not sure they still send a plow to do everyone's sidewalk in the winter though. That blew me away. All the sidewalks were walkable even after a heavy snow! Of course you had to do the stretch from the front door to the main sidewalk near the street. But what a joy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2007, 09:34 PM
 
Location: Southern New Hampshire
4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Reputation: 4626
They certainly have! Can you imagine running into Deval Patrick hanging onto a trolley strap? Maybe if the caddy is broken and conditions aren't quite right for the helicopter
Patrick defends use of Cadillac - The Boston Globe

Quote:
Originally Posted by litlux View Post
I once lived in a very large apartment on Dwight Street, near there. I also lived at the other end of Beacon Street, near Cleveland Circle and the Reservoir T stops which was a little further out. Would bump into Mike Dukakis hanging on a trolley strap every morning. We all left him alone, he was on his way to the State House. It was one of the things I liked best about Boston, the commonality of the community. Times have changed, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2007, 08:50 AM
 
Location: 42°22'55.2"N 71°24'46.8"W
4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Reputation: 2962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
They certainly have! Can you imagine running into Deval Patrick hanging onto a trolley strap? Maybe if the caddy is broken and conditions aren't quite right for the helicopter
Patrick defends use of Cadillac - The Boston Globe
Didn't Tim Murray say he was going to take the commuter rail from Worcester everyday to the State House? He said he was going to evaluate the service and then suggest improvements if he was unsatisfied. I wonder how that is coming along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2007, 08:53 AM
 
Location: 42°22'55.2"N 71°24'46.8"W
4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Reputation: 2962
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
I visited Boston last week with my lil ones and only managed to briefly stop in Brookline....the first impression I got was it was a very quiet place...is that so??
I had narrowed down Brookline, Lexington and Arlington as potential towns to move to. My husband will be taking another trip in Dec by himself to find out more about the areas. My reasons for choosing these towns are
-close proximity to Boston
-good schools
However I have no idea if there is enough to do in these towns alone without having to go to Boston.
My rental budget is around 2500 +/_ 200, and eventually will be looking to buy around 650K ...I am aware that for that I will get a condo in brookline and maybe bit more in Arlington.......but if anyone has anymore info on these towns it will be greatly appreciated....how is the community in these areas and attitudes towards newcomers!!
Brookline is quiet if you on the streets w/single family homes. Otherwise, it can get pretty noisy in the daytime in the multi-zoned areas. I remember taking a test once at the Prometric on Beacon and my computer was next to the window (2nd floor). I couldn't concentrate very well w/all the noise down on the street! The area near Longwood will also have many ambulances driving by which have loud sirens, so make sure you don't live on the main street near there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2007, 09:50 AM
 
Location: DC-Baltimore area
265 posts, read 1,063,763 times
Reputation: 153
"Quiet" is not a word I'd associate with Brookline, unless you luck into a "somewhat off the beaten path" residential street.
Did you visit on a Sunday, by chance? (less traffic)
When I lived there, the two places were every bit as urban as parts of Boston.
It's pricey because it's close in and has good access to public transit to Boston (via trolleys and buses) and is much in demand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2007, 12:16 PM
 
46 posts, read 202,035 times
Reputation: 18
thank you for the replies...is there a good time of the year to rent. I know in Aug/Sep due to students there is a lot of demand but when does it really calm down and do rents ever come down in certain months?.........I am thinking about moving between April and June so I can have a few months before winter to get accustomed to the area...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2007, 10:05 PM
 
Location: North Adams, MA
746 posts, read 3,499,662 times
Reputation: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
thank you for the replies...is there a good time of the year to rent. I know in Aug/Sep due to students there is a lot of demand but when does it really calm down and do rents ever come down in certain months?.........I am thinking about moving between April and June so I can have a few months before winter to get accustomed to the area...
May and June are good. Many students leave at that time, there is a slight slump in demand, and you see somewhat better offerings than you do in August.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2007, 06:06 PM
 
68 posts, read 398,154 times
Reputation: 43
Default Brookline is a cool place, also.

I lived in Brookline for a year when I was still in college, and, I can honestly say that if I had to move back to suburbia, Brookline would be the only suburb that I'd be amenable to going to, because Brookline gives me the overall feeling of actually being in Boston, even though it's technically not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2007, 06:10 PM
 
46 posts, read 202,035 times
Reputation: 18
thank you for saying that...thats exactly what I'm looking for , I am feel suffocated in the suburbs of Sacramento and looking for a big city feel without actually being in the middle of it!! So i think so far Brookline seems to offer that....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top