Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2012, 11:53 AM

2 posts, read 3,039 times

Advertisements

So I am student living in Allston right now. My roommate is leaving the city for good and has left me with all the furniture in our current apartment. I myself am going to study abroad next semester so I will not be here for the fall semester. Yet I am moving to a friend's place next spring. My future roommate is moving to an apartment for the first time and he has no furniture. I told my future roommate that he could use all my furniture . The problem is that I am leaving for my trip around mid-July and my lease ends August 31st. My friend's lease starts September 1st. I told my friend that the cheapest thing we could do
is for him to stay a few days at my place in late august and then on August 31st he could rent a U-Haul move all the furniture into the U-Haul stay in a hotel that night and the next day move all the stuff into his new apartment. The cost would be split between the two of us. I think it is the easiest thing to do. My friend thinks that it is better that I leave all my furniture in a storage and then he can come and pick it up. For me this does not make much sense because we would have to pay for that storage and move all my stuff from the apartment to the storage and he would still need to move all the furniture from the storage to his new apartment. The only good thing about the storage is that he would have more flexibility to move the stuff, he would not have to move everything in a single day yet I don't think that is is worth the money or the hassle just for him to have more flexibility to move the stuff. What do you guys think? am I right or is he right? Am I overlooking something?

Also the future apartment is in a street residential parking area. Do I have to get a permit for the truck to park there the hours that he is moving there? Or how would the parking work? Please let me know. I would greatly appreciate any input you guys have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 06:36 PM

404 posts, read 826,804 times
I will be much easier to move your stuff into storage when you move and let the other guy deal with getting it to your apartment on his time schedule. This does not lock him or you into getting a uhaul rental on September 1st (they are all probably reserved by now anyway). Have him split the storage cost with you. Then he can just get what he needs and can stuff into his car for the September 1st deadline and deal with the rest when he decides to rent a van and get some friends to help.

The only hang up will be when/if he doesn't get your stuff and it's december and you are still paying and paying.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:39 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,691 times
Allston and Brighton is hands down, the worst area of the city on moving day. I think back to the 2 years of living in that area, in two different apartments and 2 moves, and cringe. People everywhere, trucks everywhere, the line getting off the Pike is ridiculous....

Anyways, if I were you, I would go the storage route. I am not sure how their contracts work, but if you could get a week rent, go for it. That way you can move your stuff from the current apartment at you leisure, and won't have to deal with everyone else moving out. Put it in the storage stall and your future roommate can go and get it at his leisure. I would price it all out. If the cost of the storage is a lot more than getting a truck the day of, then go with the latter. But personally, the difference would have to be substantial for me to no go the storage route. I am not sure if you have ever rented a truck or not, but I would set the reservation 6-7 weeks in advance and use a u-haul dealer on the fringe of the city, or a bordering suburb, like Dedham for example. I have used the UHaul in Brighton over near the Stockyard and it was a joke.

You could also ask, or have him ask your future landlord is he can move in early. If not, he could always wait a day and move in on the second or even the third and have a smoother experience.

Does he not have family local? Why not stay with them for a night or two if they are. That's what I used to do.

In my experience, landlords, or maybe the city, will put no parking signs up for moving trucks on that day. It's a free for all and with trucks and cars everywhere for the big move, it would be impossible to expect people to not park in a residential spot. I never had an issue with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston