Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2012, 07:18 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,016,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmann-sherborn View Post
>>

I know, it's crazy. I really don't think it's representative of the whole market. I think it's that people have been holding off from selling unless they have to, so there's low inventory so the good stuff gets snapped up.

If you're willing to do some updating though you have a better bet of finding something that is hopefully not going as crazy fast.
It's mostly happening in the top tier towns like Newton, Wellesley, Needham, Lexington, etc. However, the market in Natick has been pretty crazy too. I closed a house in Natick about a month ago and we sold it for about 10% more than these people bought it for about 3 years ago. What I'm seeing is that it's mostly the entry to mid-level price ranges that are the most active. In most of these towns, a lot of the lower priced homes have been torn down so there's less to choose from which is driving up their value and causing multiple offer situations.

I would agree that if you are willing to put in some "sweat equity" you'll have better luck. In my experience, the current crop of buyers just don't want to do any work. They only want "move in ready."
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 12:48 PM

404 posts, read 904,419 times
what about the south shore?

Old 06-19-2012, 10:08 PM

2 posts, read 5,753 times
Southborough has cultural diversity (but not economic diversity), exceptional schools, and a one hour commute (depending on time of day). I love the New England charm in Southboro, but there's no artsy- hippy. My kids have become little artists because I'm into the arts, and there are some amazing arts programs outside and in-school. I am here for the great schools and the low crime, but it's not where you move if you need to walk to your favorite gallery, vegan diner or foreign film. It's Snooze-ville until your kids are old enough to play sports, which is where,when, and how one begins to accept and appreciate the quiet beauty of suburban living. I gave all of that up because Lexington, Belmont, and Brookline were out of my league in terms of $$!

Old 06-20-2012, 08:22 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,653,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a bag of it View Post
what about the south shore?
Hippies on the Souh Shore? Where?

Old 06-20-2012, 10:50 AM

940 posts, read 1,935,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alykerri View Post
Southborough has cultural diversity (but not economic diversity), exceptional schools, and a one hour commute (depending on time of day). I love the New England charm in Southboro, but there's no artsy- hippy. My kids have become little artists because I'm into the arts, and there are some amazing arts programs outside and in-school. I am here for the great schools and the low crime, but it's not where you move if you need to walk to your favorite gallery, vegan diner or foreign film. It's Snooze-ville until your kids are old enough to play sports, which is where,when, and how one begins to accept and appreciate the quiet beauty of suburban living. I gave all of that up because Lexington, Belmont, and Brookline were out of my league in terms of $$!
You could have just moved to North Shore!

Vegan organic cafe - Beverly - check.

Foreign film festivals - Salem - check.

One of the best art museums in New England with a kids room and classes, Peabody Essex Museum - Salem

Plenty of good schools around and less $$ - check.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:45 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,425,013 times
I would give Newburyport a look.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:12 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,256,082 times
My vote goes to Newburyport. It's affluent, but not overly pretentious, and definitely has plenty of New England charm right on the North Shore.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:22 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,771,151 times
You might like the southeast area around Brockton and Quincy.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:27 PM

211 posts, read 543,966 times
i have lived in Natick Half my Life, great schools, all new now.. very good town
i now have live in Milford for the last 15yrs..Love the town,small but really growing alot with retail, food stores etc..property taxes are not bad and alot of great neighborhoods with friendly people.

i will be moving to Arizona soon to relocate and will be selling my home in Milford very soon

Ma is great but in allset with the winters and snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston