Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 06:13 AM

37 posts, read 87,646 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to move north, we're currently based in Central Florida. There are several opportunities for me in the Boston area but I'm unsure about the area considering I know nothing of it.

What's it like and what should we expect?
Where are great areas to live that aren't necessarily right in downtown?
What's the cost of living like?

Thanks so much for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 06:58 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,365,861 times
Boston is great, historic with lots of charming narrow streets and meccas for good shopping and eating.
I can't answer where to live because I don't know your budget.
The cost of living is high. We came back to MA from the Treasure Coast Florida and everything costs more here. In my estimation, it's all worth it!

Sorry about the general answers but your questions were generally asked.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:04 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
Better than Central Florida.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
Boston is great, historic with lots of charming narrow streets and meccas for good shopping and eating.
I can't answer where to live because I don't know your budget.
The cost of living is high. We came back to MA from the Treasure Coast Florida and everything costs more here. In my estimation, it's all worth it!

Sorry about the general answers but your questions were generally asked.
Haha I completely understand and thanks for the feedback! We're in our mid-twenty's, quiet and respectful people, we enjoy a downtown setting but also enjoy our space, my income is $120k but combined (when she gets a position) is $170k. We don't have a lot of expenses so we can afford a nice place to rent.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:06 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
I know that you were also looking at Greenwich, CT. (I frequent the CT board because I used to live there.)

Greenwich and Boston are TOTALLY different vibes, but the cost of living is extremely high in each. The further outside of Boston you go, the less expensive the real estate is. As to Greenwich, that entire part of the state features very high real estate prices.

Without a budget and more details (rent, own, house, condo, apartment, etc...), it'll be hard for the Boston folks to help you much.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I know that you were also looking at Greenwich, CT. (I frequent the CT board because I used to live there.)

Greenwich and Boston are TOTALLY different vibes, but the cost of living is extremely high in each. The further outside of Boston you go, the less expensive the real estate is. As to Greenwich, that entire part of the state features very high real estate prices.

Without a budget and more details (rent, own, house, condo, apartment, etc...), it'll be hard for the Boston folks to help you much.
Ideally Greenwich/Stamford area is where we'd love to move provided I can secure a position in the area. A few opportunities in the Boston area popped up so I was curious to learn more - but we were expecting a higher cost of living in those areas anyways.

Thanks for keeping up! I'm curious as to what you meant by "totally different vibes", that's the kind of information we're curious about!

Old 06-22-2012, 07:17 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,254,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshygt View Post
Haha I completely understand and thanks for the feedback! We're in our mid-twenty's, quiet and respectful people, we enjoy a downtown setting but also enjoy our space, my income is $120k but combined (when she gets a position) is $170k. We don't have a lot of expenses so we can afford a nice place to rent.

Boston has easy / manageable access to downtown areas and plenty to do in the suburbs surrounding the city. With $170k of combined income you'll really have your choice of where and how to live. I like how quickly things transition from dense suburb to wooded / secluded as you move west of the city. Plus there is a lot to explore outside of the city - beaches, Cape Cod, Maine, Providence, reasonable access to New York City. Winters are grueling though.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:26 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:

Thanks for keeping up! I'm curious as to what you meant by "totally different vibes", that's the kind of information we're curious about!
I'm sure that you've heard that people in CT are very reserved and don't interact much with strangers. While I haven't found that to be the case (I talk to everyone! And they even respond! ), I think that Greenwich is much more, shall we say, "secluded" in that there's a ritzy-titzy feel to it. There are many grand-scale mansions that you can't even see from the road -- they're so far set back on large parcels of land -- and quite a number of celebrities live there. It's the kind of place that I'd like to visit for the sheer GASP! factor, but wouldn't feel comfortable living there, trying to keep up with the Jones family. But that's just me and how I feel about it.

I forgot that you were also looking in Stamford. That vibe is probably more inline with the Boston vibe, but Stamford would have it on a much smaller scale.

Many say that MA people are also reserved and don't play well with strangers, too. Again, that hasn't been the case for me.

Boston is a fabulous city. It's rich in history, the architecture is gorgeous, the people are friendly (again, MY finding), and it just has an OOMPH! that I love. I was born and bred in Montreal (Canada) and Boston feels like home to me, even though I live an hour away.

Bottom line about the vibe, in my opinion:

Greenwich: Quiet.
Boston: Brimming with life.
Stamford: Somewhere between the two.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Greenwich: Quiet.
Boston: Brimming with life.
Stamford: Somewhere between the two.
Greenwich would be a little too richy rich for us, we're quiet but we aren't high noses! We love Stamford and would love to get there but the job has to be there first. Boston seems nice but I wonder if the winters there are more harsh than the winters in Stamford/Greenwich?

Old 06-22-2012, 07:34 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,254,410 times
Quote:
Greenwich would be a little too richy rich for us, we're quiet but we aren't high noses! We love Stamford and would love to get there but the job has to be there first. Boston seems nice but I wonder if the winters there are more harsh than the winters in Stamford/Greenwich?
I don't think there is much of a difference (going from Boston to NY). It can be a couple degrees colder in Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: