U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2012, 03:25 PM

8 posts, read 7,809 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I currently live out in Bridgewater Ma and need to relocate to be closer to UMass Boston. I am looking at Norwood(because it has a nice town center and seems safe), Quincy (because its close to UMass) and Dorchester (because its really close to UMass). I'd like to rent a single family house or 2/3 bed apt under $2k per month and have a maximum commute by car of around 30 mins. Dorchester kinda scares me though with the reports and the ghetto feel to the place. My commute from Bridgewater is currently about 40-60 mins to UMass (leaving at 6.15am in the morning) but fear in Winter it could double in rush hr times. Would that be right? New to Boston so any help or relatively safe location suggestions near UMass would be great. My ideal location would have a quietish neighborhood, offstreet parking for 2 cars, 10 min walk to a vibrant town centre full of shops and activities, safe and 30 mins from work at rush hr. Newton & Needham seem nice but how bad does the rush hour commute get to Boston... 1-2 hrs? Not too worried about schools for now.
THANKS GUYS!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,912 times
This is not a reply to Billy's question (sorry!), but a related one of my own. I need to get from Newtonville (West Newton, near Pike - South Side) to UMass Boston early in mornings and cannot work out the best way to get there via public transport. Any help?

Old 08-17-2012, 12:43 PM

2,257 posts, read 7,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBilly View Post
Hi All,
I currently live out in Bridgewater Ma and need to relocate to be closer to UMass Boston. I am looking at Norwood(because it has a nice town center and seems safe), Quincy (because its close to UMass) and Dorchester (because its really close to UMass). I'd like to rent a single family house or 2/3 bed apt under $2k per month and have a maximum commute by car of around 30 mins. Dorchester kinda scares me though with the reports and the ghetto feel to the place. My commute from Bridgewater is currently about 40-60 mins to UMass (leaving at 6.15am in the morning) but fear in Winter it could double in rush hr times. Would that be right? New to Boston so any help or relatively safe location suggestions near UMass would be great. My ideal location would have a quietish neighborhood, offstreet parking for 2 cars, 10 min walk to a vibrant town centre full of shops and activities, safe and 30 mins from work at rush hr. Newton & Needham seem nice but how bad does the rush hour commute get to Boston... 1-2 hrs? Not too worried about schools for now.
THANKS GUYS!
I think you'd be really pushing that 30 minute commute from Norwood or Needham during rush hour. I'm not too sure, but I think you'd realistically be looking at at least 40 minutes... Maybe someone who has done this commute can chime in.

The areas to the east of Dot Ave in Dorchester really aren't that bad, but they still don't have that vibe you seem to be looking for, with quiet residential areas and vibrant town centres. It's also going to be much harder to find off-street parking for two vehicles here versus the suburbs.

Quincy sounds like your best bet. There are a few different commercial "centres" within the city (typically centered around the T stops - another means of getting to UMass if you so desired) so there are quite a few properties within walking distance of shops and activities. Your money will definitely go farther here than in Norwood or Needham. The crime rate is a bit higher than in Norwood and neither is as safe as Needham, but it's no Dorchester, either.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:55 PM

2,257 posts, read 7,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonnewbie View Post
This is not a reply to Billy's question (sorry!), but a related one of my own. I need to get from Newtonville (West Newton, near Pike - South Side) to UMass Boston early in mornings and cannot work out the best way to get there via public transport. Any help?
Depends on exactly what time you're leaving. The easiest and fastest method would be to take the inbound commuter rail from Newtonville to South Station, but it only stops in Newtonville about once every hour or so during the morning, and it's more expensive than riding the bus. You could take the 553 bus (or, perhaps, the 554 or 556) from Newtonville to Lincoln & Beach Streets downtown, then walk about 5 minutes to the T at South Station.

From South Station you would hop on the outbound Red Line and get off three stops later at JFK/UMass, then either walk to campus or take one of buses/shuttles (8/16/etc.).

At any rate, I don't envy your commute - getting to UMass is tricky from the other side of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston