Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2012, 08:28 PM

846 posts, read 1,400,530 times

Advertisements

Ah yes, another poster coming in and asking for advice. I'm sure you get them all--I'm from Phoenix and we get a lot ourselves.

With that said, I'm considering applying to BU, BC, and/or Simmons for my MSW. I am confident I will be a commuter because my girlfriend and two cats will be coming along. I have lived in the Boston burbs before so I am familiar with the weather, etc. But it's been awhile so any help you can lend me would be stellar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 08:28 AM

613 posts, read 2,307,346 times
I'm not sure what your question is. I know a couple of people who have gotten their MSW from BC and from my understanding it's a highly regarded program. But I don't know much about BU or Simmons' programs. If you attend BU or Simmons, you're probably want to take public transportation. They're not all that far from each other actually.

BC is in Chestnut Hill so driving may be more of an option. A big question is what will your girlfriend do and what area is convenient for her and what is your housing budget?

Old 07-20-2012, 09:05 AM

I'm mostly trying to make sure public transit is an option for all schools. While we will have a car (because not having a car really isn't much of an option here)... they are all similar in terms of tuition but I'm an older student (in my 30s) and looking for any opinions on the schools in general. My GF won't immediately get a job as she will need to adjust to her new surroundings. I'm not one for partying but we like coffee shops, a lot.

Something I don't remember about the T stops in the city since I just commuted in from Newton when I lived in the Boston area is that is it required to go up/down stairs at T stops? I can't do stairs due to some lung issues so I just want to be sure the T stop I will be using is handicap accessible.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:31 AM

701 posts, read 1,562,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
I'm mostly trying to make sure public transit is an option for all schools. While we will have a car (because not having a car really isn't much of an option here)... they are all similar in terms of tuition but I'm an older student (in my 30s) and looking for any opinions on the schools in general. My GF won't immediately get a job as she will need to adjust to her new surroundings. I'm not one for partying but we like coffee shops, a lot.

Something I don't remember about the T stops in the city since I just commuted in from Newton when I lived in the Boston area is that is it required to go up/down stairs at T stops? I can't do stairs due to some lung issues so I just want to be sure the T stop I will be using is handicap accessible.
The T stations are handicap accessible. They are elevators that will take you up or down to the platform, if the stations are two storey.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:25 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,037,189 times
Each of these schools is accessible by the T. How convenient the commute is depends on where you live.

All T stops have escalators and/or elevators. Whether they are in working order is another story.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:06 PM

Thanks for that, good to know. I hope I/we can find somewhere cheapish to live. I understand cheap Phoenix is entirely different story in Boston.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:20 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Quote:
Thanks for that, good to know. I hope I/we can find somewhere cheapish to live. I understand cheap Phoenix is entirely different story in Boston.
I would consider $1000 cheap for a 1 bedroom in the outer burbs (ie not Newton, Brookline, Cambridge, or Somerville). Studios go a little cheaper, but it might be hard to find a place that would allow 2 cats in a studio (and would be difficult even for a 1 bedroom - Boston is not pet friendly).

BC is probably going to be the most convenient in terms of a commute from the burbs. Additionally, it is certainly the most prestigious and offers the most job options after you are done.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:22 AM

170 posts, read 446,564 times
I, too, am considering these three schools and have gone to visit with each of them. I was told that each of the programs has a distinct personality but the conversation changed before I could ask about it further. Does anyone have thoughts about the personality of the school, program, or the type of student it attracts? Being a transplant to the area, there may be a reputation about the school that I'm not familiar with.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:57 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,891,246 times
Quote:
I don't know the particulars of these programs, but I believe all three are highly regarded. As for where to live, you probably would do well in Brighton for all three. The very best location for accessibility to all three would be Cleveland Circle, which is walking distance to BC, and short rides on the C or D lines to BU and Simmons respectively. It is a less expensive option than living near either of the other campuses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston