Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2012, 08:07 AM

866 posts, read 2,628,047 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any good restaurant dining deals anywhere in the city? I know happy hour is illegal in Massachusetts, but how about any type of discounted food: half-price burgers, discounted entree specials on certain nights of the week, etc.? I check Groupon and Living Social, but I was wondering about regular specials. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 08:44 AM

12,847 posts, read 22,014,769 times
I'm not sure about too many nightly specials (unfortunately there's no "happy hour" in MA). Restaurant.com is a good one to use for discounts.

This Yelp list has some 10 cent wing places mentioned:
10 cent wings Boston

Pour House in Back Bay used to do 1/2 priced chicken and burgers. I'm not sure if they still do though.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:54 AM

289 posts, read 567,730 times
Heard a chef on a TV food show last week saying that you should <never> buy the special of the day, because the SOTD was the food that was about to go bad. Never thought of it like that before, but sure makes sense!

Old 07-24-2012, 09:14 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,037,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbarney View Post
Heard a chef on a TV food show last week saying that you should <never> buy the special of the day, because the SOTD was the food that was about to go bad. Never thought of it like that before, but sure makes sense!

That's not really true, at least not of all restaurants. If a chef is committed to local, fresh ingredients, often a special is because he/she saw a great piece of fish at the market, or wants to highlight something with a short season (Maine rock shrimp, softshell crab). It's also a good time to "audition" a dish for a regular spot on a future menu, depending how well it sells.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:22 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,037,189 times
Dollar oysters from 4-6pm at Marliave.

Dollar oysters at Myers and Chang on Sundays from 8pm

Tapas menu at the bar at Rendezvous on Mondays

$.50 tapas at the bar at Masa

Pretty sure McCormick and Schmick does something, but I've never been.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:00 PM

12,847 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbarney View Post
I don't buy that as a general rule. I'm sure there are some restaurants where this is the case. In fact, I know of one UNO franchise that used to discount fish that's about to spoil (many chains just push an item going bad by saying something like "would you like to start with some lobster sliders?" or something like that). That was in Maine, not Boston, however.

Like Cantabridgienne said, many local chefs hit the market every day. Many specials are simply ingredients picked up at market on the same day. Most are only seasonally available and as a result, not available on the regular menu. A good one to keep an eye out for now is "Day Boat Scallops" which are in season the next few weeks. The Cape Cod/Nantucket Sound Shellfish are large like the normal Sea Scallop (harvested off George's Banks), but are not flash frozen. They're caught and sold within 24 hours of being on the ocean floor. They're sweeter than sea scallops and outstanding. You often get this type of special with local produce as well. Local berries (blueberries, strawberries, etc) inspire seasonal dishes, as do things like fiddleheads and New England potatoes. Anything like that is not only OK to eat, but typically better than the standard fare. There will be lots of Sea Bass, Bluefish, and Striper specials at New England restaurants this time of year too and most of that is OK (Bluefish is excellent when it's super fresh... it deteriorates quickly though).

I typically choose specials over the regular options for the reasons above. A good thing to look out for is a special using a primary ingredient that's also on the regular menu. I.E. if they have a "baked halibut" special with breadcrumbs on the specials board, and a pan seared halibut on the regular menu, the halibut may be going bad (there's nothing seasonal or special about the ingredients in a baked halibut except the fish). But other than that, the main menu makes me worry more than the specials because it's hard to get most ingredients "fresh" year-round. That's why I trust restaurants with rotating seasonal menus and lots of specials more than a place with the same menu whether it's December or July.

Oh, and I forgot about Marliave... their Oyster special is good. They also have one of my favorite Pastrami Sandwiches in the city for lunch.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:42 PM

289 posts, read 567,730 times
Thank you all for your home-town wisdom. Another reason not to watch TV. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston