Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2012, 03:05 PM

3 posts, read 11,263 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to buy a condo in Boston rather than waste money on high rents and brokers' fees, and it seems like the best deals are to be found in South End, Charlestown, and Southie. However, I'm not sure where it gets dicey in the South End, and if all of these areas have adequate public transportation. I had started looking this weekend, such as Tremont St near Mass Ave, and while the areas are beautiful, I couldn't help but notice that the Boston Housing Authority was on the same block, and there were a lot of homeless people milling around.

A bit about me: I'm in my late 20's, I'm single and will be buying a 1BR or 2BR, and I want to be in a very walkable, pretty area with some things to do, grocery stores, etc. It'd be nice to have some bars and restaurants nearby to frequent, but I'm also willing to travel to go have fun.

I currently live in the North End and love it, but would rather get more space/outdoor space for my money. The area is really safe, not many seedy characters, and people are always around, and that's very appealing to me.

How safe would it be for a single woman living alone in South End, Charlestown, or Southie? One of my main concerns is sticking out too much and not feeling safe. I know some people are scared of Southie/Charlestown, but I tend to feel comfortable, being a blonde Irish-American.

Any advice would be very appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 12:08 PM

613 posts, read 2,306,691 times
All those areas mentioned have their nicer areas and their rougher areas so use your judgment and do your research. Visit at night and see how comfortable you are walking around. One thing to consider in the South End is that if you're by Mass Ave down there, you're near Boston Medical Center and in the direct path of ambulances. It can be loud. Don't forget about resale values. You're probably not going to stay in a condo forever and the same concerns you have, will probably be the same ones future buyers will have when you go to sell.

My guess is that you'll get the most bang for your buck and in a nicer neighborhood in Southie. But I haven't really been following the condo market this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: