Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 01:36 AM

2,944 posts, read 5,185,254 times

Advertisements

I'm very demanding about aesthetics, litter, graffiti, etc., yet I've marvelled in recent years how good DTX actually looks, considering Barnes & Noble, Borders, Filene's and the Basement are gone.

As mentioned, numerous improvements are visible near Eddie Bauer outlet, with the restored theatres, dorms, Opera House, healthy fast food options, etc. Does the Ritz Carlton count at all, or is that more Chinatown? Whatever, it's the gateway to DTX and it's helped.

Province St. has a luxury hi-rise condo at 45 Province St., next to Cakeology (some kind of trendy bakery). Sweet cupcakes is on School St. across from the vacant Borders, which I read months ago would get a combo of retail to fill it, including an expanded H&M store from down the street.

Boston Sports Club is near, as are some cool pubs and restaurants on Bromfield and School streets.

I usually pass thru it in early evening or later, and have no fear in passing thru. The OP did mention it still gets gross people with their strange behaviors in the daytime, which would bother me.

The Herald just had a story about the Downtown Improvement District that's been there a few years now. I've seen their ambassadors in orange shirts answer tourists' questions and sweep the sidewalk. It's paid for by area merchants.

The city puts flower baskets on some of the light poles as they've done in recent years. Don't they have weekly lunchtime
concerts near Macy's this year? Macy's still has their holiday tree, and in recent years a big tent across from Filene's has showcased rea artists selling Christmas presents.

Outside of Macy's, don't they still have a police booth enclosed in Plexiglas, plus a small visitors booth for maps?

These are not signs of a totally abandoned area.

I'd like it to look even better, perhaps like Welesley Square or Hingham Center. But that's not realistic or even necessary. Those areas are mostly for the elite whereas DTX brings all types together, usually in positive vways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 05:57 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,014,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veryangry View Post
I am sure the same can be said for many, many places as well. I was in Boston for 1 day last week during a very short trip to the area. I have been there 4 times for visits since 94, with my last one being in 2004. Since 04, I must say, I saw way more homeless, more closed up shops, and smelled more urine every where I went that I can even imagine! The downtown crossing area really looked like a war zone with all the homeless and derelict looking people hanging around there. It really was sad to see, and probably wont be a destination I will be going back to anytime soon. I have always loved going there, this time the city let me down. I am sure it has a lot to do with it as well, but during my day there, I only saw 1 cop, and that was some young guy that was hanging out with the guard at the garage I had parked at. That was at 9'olock at night. I hope it turns around soon!
HAHAHAHAHAHA Thanks for the good laugh.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:43 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,109,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Outside of Macy's, don't they still have a police booth enclosed in Plexiglas, plus a small visitors booth for maps?
The booth is still there, but it's been empty for at least a couple years I think. A florist has set up shop in front of it, so passing by you almost don't even notice it. Now why the city doesn't lease it to the florist is beyond me.

As far as the homeless, I don't think it's got any worse. Even with the recent recession. There are 2 homeless shelters both 2 blocks away, plus a couple churches with outreach programs also 2 blocks away. And the Commons has always been a popular hangout for the destitute. Compared to SF and LA, Boston's homeless population is almost non existent.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:55 AM

414 posts, read 808,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHA Thanks for the good laugh.
Yeah that was my intention to make people laugh!! I guess I should have taken pictures of all the bad things I saw to offset the wonderful pictures that were posted already. I did take some wonderful pictures myself. I guess the folks that live there don't see the drastic change I saw since you folks are there all the time. To someone that is not, the change is quite dramatic. I am sure other tourists that have been away a while would agree.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:24 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,109,727 times
Quote:
I guess the folks that live there don't see the drastic change I saw since you folks are there all the time. To someone that is not, the change is quite dramatic. I am sure other tourists that have been away a while would agree.
Again, I'm at a complete loss here. Boston right now has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country (3rd behind OKC and DC), and is in the midst of a building boom.

I wish I could have seen what you saw.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:28 AM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
Yeah that was my intention to make people laugh!! I guess I should have taken pictures of all the bad things I saw to offset the wonderful pictures that were posted already. I did take some wonderful pictures myself. I guess the folks that live there don't see the drastic change I saw since you folks are there all the time. To someone that is not, the change is quite dramatic. I am sure other tourists that have been away a while would agree.
^People are overreacting to your opinion.

I personally don't think it's bad at all. I travel a lot and see far worse in the "nice" areas of major cities in the U.S. I would still agree that the aesthetic is worse. How could you argue it isn't? In 2004, the Filene's building was still standing (so there was a massive hole in the middle of it) and we weren't in an economic recession so there weren't as many vacant storefronts. Still it's not dangerous (many youths hang out there and not all of them are white, but it's certainly not a dangerous place).

However, DTX is actually improving and I think that's what you missed in your one day visit. People have noted the new theaters and buildings around DTX. There's a TON of new construction in Downtown Crossing and new retail continues to move in including this which will be filling the hole at the Filene's site:

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/y...04/Filenes.jpg

The prospects for Downtown Crossing are VERY good. And the current state of the area isn't even that bad. However, I don't have a hard time seeing how it may have seemed worse to you since your perspective is a snapshot view of 2004 and today. Still, I don't think most of us are concerned. In fact, we all just know it's getting better.

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-17-2012 at 06:58 PM..

Old 08-16-2012, 08:33 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,799,060 times
I hope this tower gets built. It will go a long way to improving the area. I walk by that hole 5 days a week and am always amazed that such an eyesore has sat there for so long. Now we have a developer with a clear plan, hopefully the usual suspects don't rear their ugly heads and torpedo this thing.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:03 PM

157 posts, read 570,497 times
I am a Boston native, and DTX was definitively on the fast track to finally hurdling it's fringe-red light district/crime ridden stereotype... Until Vornado balked on the Filene's project and the financial crisis hit in 2008.

Honestly, the periphery of the DTX area is **drastically** improved from what it was 10 years ago, however, this is not enough to overcome the blight that is the old Filenes building and the correspondingly vacant store fronts on Washington St that lie adjacent to this eyesore. Losing the bookstore chains was bad, and that really has hurt the neighborhood as well. Filenes and the B&N and Borders stores brought in a slightly more affluent crowd to the area and now that draw is completely gone.

Menino's attempts to bring in street venders and entertainment are nice attempts, but until the Filenes hole is remedied, there's really going to only be lateral or slightly progressive improvements in this area.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:59 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,414,807 times
I guess that person wont be visiting New York or Philly any time soon.

Boston if anything has gotten a lot better

Old 08-17-2012, 03:42 PM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxey View Post
Losing the bookstore chains was bad, and that really has hurt the neighborhood as well.
Borders was a big loss. But I can't be the only one who hates the fact that the old bookstore at the corner of School/Washington is now a Chipotle. Sad use for a great building (although better than vacant I guess).

Menino's attempts to bring in street venders and entertainment are nice attempts, but until the Filenes hole is remedied, there's really going to only be lateral or slightly progressive improvements in this area.[/quote]

Bingo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston