Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2016, 09:59 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,694,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
MBTA inspections and operations, utility workers, Police, Fire, deliveries, airport operations and transportation services, security, building engineers and boiler operators, medical as you suggested.

While there are thousands of people doing the above on any given night, they aren't concentrated to one area so it becomes very difficult to sustain any business.
It would take the presence of large manufacturing plants to generate enough third-shift worker demand to keep shops open 24/7. Guess what, real estate has long been so expensive and unavailable in huge "campus" parcels that it is cheaper to put factories in other parts of the country, where the wages are also lower.

Blame it on the geographic constraints, blame it on gentrification, blame it on the nature of 21st-century professions, blame it on outsourcing, etc., but the fact is the bolded statement rings true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 05:04 PM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I'm in the Star Markets at Fenway, Allston and Pru/Copley often during the late hours, as they're 24/7 except Christmas Eve, Thanksgiving Eve and maybe Easter.

Of course, there aren't many shoppers most of the time, just cabbies and assorted others. Occasionally, a line of about 5-10 shoppers forms at 2 a.m. in the Fenway store, but it likely doesn't last long. Now...if there were really demand for 24-hour grocery shopping in Boston, these few possibilities would be jam packed, likely involving crowd control; of course deli, bakery and salad bars are closed during these overnight hours. Even the restrooms at the Pru Star Market are locked but the other ones are open, thankfully.

Oh, I think the South Bay Stop and Shop was 24 hours Mon-Fri. but it now closes at midnight each night. The North Quincy Stop and Shop is 24 hours Mon-Fri. I don't believe any Stop and Shop in New England is 24 hours?
I don't mean 24/7, but most of the Stop and Shops used to by 24 hours except for Saturday after midnight and maybe Sunday into Monday for a period (similer to N Quincy). Now only a select few are. I don't know, they have an overnight crew there anyway so it's not like it was really a huge burden on them...west of Boston the stores in Franklin, N. Attleboro, both Framingham stores, etc. shut down at night when you actually have a significant amount of facilities out there like EMC that operate 3 shifts.

Another area I think would be a candidate for late night eateries and such would be the S. Bay area. You have Gillette, the USPS annex, Boston Medical Center, the MBTA garage...all which operate 3 shifts if I'm not mistaken. I just don't get it, really.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:31 PM

2,945 posts, read 5,185,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Why is it unbelievable? There just isn't the demand for it.
But it seems NOBODY understands that there's no consistent year-round demand, yet expects many options for overnight food and transit...

Just because they need it now doesn't mean it's feasible for dozens of purveyors to be sitting around at 3 a.m , just in case they walk in.

I discovered a Chinese takeout in East Boston last week at 3 a.m. on a weekend; yep, I was the only one in there. And they close earlier weeknights, for a reason.

But it almost comes down to arguing with taxi passengers who are bewildered they have few late-night options here...and still believe they're necessary.

We're just not that kind of city.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:43 PM

2,945 posts, read 5,185,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Additional late night options for food include, South Street (downtown) 24 hours, Peach Farm Chinatown) is open until 3am, Beantown Taqueria (Cambridge) 4a, Bovas (North End) 24 hours, Dumpling Palace (Back Bay) 3a, Tasty Burger (Harvard Square) 4a...
El Triuno (Mexican) on East Berkeley near Washington Street opens until 3 a.m. Thursday (?), and Friday and Saturday nights.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:05 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,654,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverphonics View Post
I am from MA and living now in CO which is the Midwest though the state doesn't like to admit it and it is chock full of Midwesterners and though they are decent people they do tend to think they have a corner on real America and real family values (and WAY into guns) -- and that the coasts are full of degenerates and atheists. There is definitely a level of sophistication I miss here -- a sense of history, a sense of place...and water! And Bostonians are definitely as a whole more interesting, have more character and wit that those out here. Just sayin!
Spot on.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:52 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,640,383 times
Boston visitors are families coming to tour the historic sites. New York visitors are convention goers and business people coming in for meetings. There is also a theater/performing arts scene, that Boston doesn't really have with people having dinner or drinks following a late night show. This is one reason I don't see Boston turning into a stay up all night city like New York or Chicago.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:31 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Boston visitors are families coming to tour the historic sites. New York visitors are convention goers and business people coming in for meetings. There is also a theater/performing arts scene, that Boston doesn't really have with people having dinner or drinks following a late night show. This is one reason I don't see Boston turning into a stay up all night city like New York or Chicago.
Not sure I really agree. While certainly NYC does have a lot of convention goers and meeting attendees, I don't think you can characterize "most" visitors that way. NYC isn't even in the top 5 convention cities --a lot of organizations don't go there for conventions because it is so expensive and/or it isn't centrally located.

Boston has it's fair share of convention/meeting business. Again, while Boston has lots of families that visit, I question whether that's truly the majority. The most typical scenario I've run across are fairly young people visiting friends who are students at one of the universities. Or making a road trip from colleges that aren't so far away.

I don't think this is the reason why you don't see up all night so much here. Chicago has some, but not like NYC. I think that there just isn't overall human demand for 24/7 clubbing. I don't think that even worldwide there are all that many cities that have it.

Old 08-07-2016, 11:56 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,640,383 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Not sure I really agree. While certainly NYC does have a lot of convention goers and meeting attendees, I don't think you can characterize "most" visitors that way. NYC isn't even in the top 5 convention cities --a lot of organizations don't go there for conventions because it is so expensive and/or it isn't centrally located.

Boston has it's fair share of convention/meeting business. Again, while Boston has lots of families that visit, I question whether that's truly the majority. The most typical scenario I've run across are fairly young people visiting friends who are students at one of the universities. Or making a road trip from colleges that aren't so far away.

I don't think this is the reason why you don't see up all night so much here. Chicago has some, but not like NYC. I think that there just isn't overall human demand for 24/7 clubbing. I don't think that even worldwide there are all that many cities that have it.

That brings up another very good point. The preponderance of undergraduates in night spots around Boston drives out the after work professional crowd. In other major cities with fewer colleges, I go out and there is a much better mix of ages in the restaurants and clubs.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:33 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,970 times
Quote:
That brings up another very good point. The preponderance of undergraduates in night spots around Boston drives out the after work professional crowd. In other major cities with fewer colleges, I go out and there is a much better mix of ages in the restaurants and clubs.
I think it's more graduate students who are at many the nightspots (since the majority of undergrads are going to be under 21), and students tend to go out later than the people who go after work. In the cities where there is all-night night life, I don't think it's driven by the people who work 8-6 every day.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:06 PM

124 posts, read 173,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
LOL @ people who think Colorado is the "Midwest."

You sound quite arrogant too. Maybe dial that down a bit eh?
My guess is you are a Midwesterner and you didn't like my observations about it??

Oh dear...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston