Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 09:53 AM

15,782 posts, read 21,291,118 times

Advertisements

2K will get you a 2 bedroom along the red line in Cambridge and Somerville - Porter Square, Davis Square, maybe Harvard or Central etc. It won't be the nicest 2 bedroom and more than a 10 minute drive (you can't even get a mile in 10 minutes in the Boston metro during awake times!), but more spacious than anything in safe neighborhoods on the other side of the river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 09:39 PM

74 posts, read 120,018 times
Thanks Silverbelles - I actually am in that time of life - two toddlers - so I'm going to look into that - thanks!

Also good info charolastra00 - I'll check out those leads too!

Thanks guys!

Old 09-16-2012, 11:42 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,872,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
Well the bottom line is space in Downtown is premium because everybody wants to live in a vibrant fun safe walkable neighborhood in Boston. So you really have to compromise. Do you want to live in in a fun walkable downtown neighborhood, have lots of space, or save money. Cuz doing all three is unlikely in BOS.

I made two choices when I lived in BOS. 1st I lived in a shoebox ion Park Drive in the Fens. I had all the urban amenities at my doorstep. That was a studio and would now cost you about 1K.

My second choice was Lower Roxbury at the edge of the South End. It was safe but not always pleasant. A lot of ghettoism, noise, and trash. But dealing with that, I was a ten minute walk to the PRU and we spent 2K for a 2 bedroom.

I want to say it would be at least $1,200 now because I live in a studio in Brighton near Cleveland Circle and Boston College and I pay $1,000 a month here. I looked into studios on Beacon near the St. Mary's T and those usually start at $1,100.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:55 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,425,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I want to say it would be at least $1,200 now because I live in a studio in Brighton near Cleveland Circle and Boston College and I pay $1,000 a month here. I looked into studios on Beacon near the St. Mary's T and those usually start at $1,100.
Yup, I think you're right Pear. I looked up my old landlord's and saw studios for $1350.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:01 AM

2 posts, read 2,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
If you don't need a downtown neighborhood, West Roxbury, Roslindale.
I have lived in both WR is more raw but never got any hassle. I would go with rosindale nice clean good food and bars and the commuter rail brings you to south station. Rent for a clean 2bed apt 1500-1750 p/m Usually just first and last no deposit. Traffic can suck though. I would also recommend Brighton nice quiet area alittle closer. To be 10 mins away you will pay 3ooo a month in Back Bay or Comm Ave My old boss has new apts in Jamica Plain I can put you in touch. have lived in all the towns i have mentioned.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:48 AM

72 posts, read 150,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy in Eire View Post
I have lived in both WR is more raw but never got any hassle. I would go with rosindale nice clean good food and bars and the commuter rail brings you to south station. Rent for a clean 2bed apt 1500-1750 p/m Usually just first and last no deposit. Traffic can suck though. I would also recommend Brighton nice quiet area alittle closer. To be 10 mins away you will pay 3ooo a month in Back Bay or Comm Ave My old boss has new apts in Jamica Plain I can put you in touch. have lived in all the towns i have mentioned.
I think you are confusing West Roxbury with Roxbury. Because West Roxbury is alot nicer and safer than Roslindale. I grew up in West Roxbury and its not the most exciting place, but the stores/restaurants on Centre Street are really up and coming. There are parks to walk to, you can catch the bus to Forest Hills and also the commuter rail to South Station. You wouldnt get any hassle in West Rox because its full of families. Mostly white, Irish and Catholic - at least when I was growing up there! I would say its a great place to raise a family except for the school system since it is part of BPS. Its probably not what the original poster is looking for either since he wants to be right downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston