Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 09:09 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,037,189 times

Advertisements

In-unit laundry for a rental is not all that common (a shared laundry room is).

I'd also check out Jamaica Plain, especially along the 39 bus route. This runs frequently, into the Back Bay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 10:01 AM

38 posts, read 84,599 times
Back Bay itself will be hard to keep a car in.

Slightly over towards Fenway you'll find a lot of studios starting at 1250. But not great. For the higher end of your budget I think you'd do well.
Allston/Brighton and remaining on the green line are good options for you.

I like Cambridge/Somerville. You'd get a decent place again for 1500+. Parking is slightly easier.
If you stick to the Red Line it's great but you'd have to hop on the green lin at park to complete your journey. A little bit of a pain but maybe you'd have a better living situation. Work a look at least.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:02 AM

95 posts, read 269,228 times
I will throw in the suggestion of Roslindale. People tend to think of it as a kind of sleepy place to live, but I think for someone in their 30s, who isn't looking for a wild place to live, it would fit a lot of your criteria. I live in a huge apartment (almost 1000 sq. ft.) for under $1500 a month, heat and hw included. The prices here are creeping up a bit, but not all that high. The square has: a full service grocer, two butchers, a fish market, three bakeries, a coffeeshop, a cheese store, a wine store, and plenty of restaurants. Additionally, the likelihood that you will be able to find a place with a driveway is much higher here than some other places. Even if you don't have one, a lot of the streets have a ton of street parking available because: (1) Lots of people do have driveways (2) There aren't 15 people living in every three-decker. Also, a number of the streets here don't have any street sweeping, so you don't have to worry about moving your car around on those days. Finally, your commute. My downstairs and upstairs neighbors both work in Back Bay/South End and have said it is a breeze getting to work. You have the really nice option (which is more expensive) of getting the commuter rail right in the square, which takes you to Back Bay in 3 stops, and takes about 15-20 minutes. The rail is very quiet, and the Needham line, because it is so short usually runs on time. As I mentioned though, a monthly pass will cost you $173 a month, which might be a bit steep if your workplace doesn't do any subsidy (some do though, be sure to check). The other option is to take a bus to the Forest Hills Station, and then get on the Orange Line, which stops right in Back Bay as well. This option would take closer to 30 minutes, and the monthly pass is $70. In terms of area, I would look in a 1-2 mile radius of the square, as this the nicest area of Roslindale, and is very safe. My wife often comes home late from her job, around 10-11 PM sometimes, and I feel fine with her walking home by herself. As with anywhere, it is good to keep an eye out for your surroundings, but in general things are pretty quiet and safe nearby the square. Id' at least consider it, look at some options, and PM me if you have any specific questions about area, etc. I'd be glad to answer them.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:33 AM

17 posts, read 24,991 times
Thanks a lot you guys.

about the Roslindale area. An area with a fish market, bakeries and a few restaurant is an area I would definitely consider. As long as the commute is not too long and as long as I can get to Boston center easily (less than 15-20 min) I can keep it in consideration. I am moving from Miami, and a wild place is NOT for me. I just want to go to wilder if I choose to :-).

Ok now I need to see where Roslindale is on a map!

Old 09-25-2012, 12:20 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,171,291 times
From Roslindale Center, it's at least a 30-minute journey to Back Bay station via bus to Forest Hills and then the Orange Line T (not counting the initial walk to Roslindale station from your residence and the additional walk to your place of work in Back Bay). When the commuter rail is running, it's only a 10-minute train ride or so, but the commuter rail is much less frequent than the T and also costs more (there are separate monthly passes for each).

Old 09-25-2012, 01:29 PM

Yeah, I won't write it off, but it definitely a bit farther than what I would prefer. I also need to figure out what my job does in terms of public transportation.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:40 AM

Guys,

I have contacted a couple of real estate agent and they might have apartments in my price range and requirements in places like West Roxbury, Malden, Roslindale and Medford.

Can someone tell me which one of these areas would be best as far as safety, commute to Back Bay and "livebility" (ie restaurants, cafes, bakeries...)

They all seem a bit further than what I was looking for but if the commute to town is not too long it might be fine.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:10 PM

Any suggestions from the bostonians?

Old 10-09-2012, 08:19 AM

95 posts, read 269,228 times
Out of the four places you list, you basically have either end of the Orange Line for transit. I don't actually know much about the far end (Malden/Medford), so I will hold out for others to get back to you on those.

In terms of West Roxbury/Roslindale - both are pretty safe and decent places to live. I would say that West Roxbury is as a whole slightly more uniform in quality of living. Some parts of Roslindale are wonderful, and others are not so much. So, I would take a look at a few places in each and see how you feel. If you can find something in close proximity to Rozzie Square, I think that would be the best of both worlds for you. You'd have a nice area to go get something to eat in (restaurants range from really nice places to diners and bars), a number of stores that I mentioned in my last post, and ease of access to Back Bay. Some parts of West Roxbury are close to a commuter rail station or bus route, but others would require you to drive (at least to the station). I also think it would definetly take you a bit longer to get to Back Bay from WR, even on the commuter rail. Close to Rozzie square you have a nice, safe, quiet but not necessarily sleepy neighborhood along with easy access to the commuter rail if you want to go for that. If you didn't, there are about 8 buses an hour that hit the Cummins Highway/Washington Street stop and go straight to Forest Hills. I go this way from my house near the square to the Back Bay stop four days a week and it usually takes about 30 minutes door to door.

PM me if you have any other questions (or ask here too!), I know I come off as a big Rozzie-booster, but I really like it here!

Old 10-10-2012, 06:27 AM

So the subway does not go that far? What is the furthest nice neighborhood still on the subway line?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston