Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 06:55 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent22 View Post
> And your realtor wasn't kidding. More than 80% of leases in the Boston area start and end on Oct. 1.
> A studio for $1600 is out of 99% of people's budgets

Don't agree with either or these. It's a student city- 20% of some neighborhoods turnover at Sep. 1.
I think Beacon Hill, small place or not, is highly desirable and the apartment will rent quickly again. You might have to do some legwork yourself, but you will be motivated to.
Oops, I meant September 1st. Chemo brain. :P

A few friends are Boston/Cambridge/Somerville realtors and when I have apartment hunted in winter (which always seems to happen with me), it's been a struggle for them to help me find appropriate new places because the stock is so low. No one wants to move in winter in Boston since we could have a snowstorm anytime between late October and early April, so turnover is very low in that period. They always cited 80%, but a quick Google search brought up an actual study which places it at 70%. http://bostinno.com/2012/07/20/the-1...boston-report/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 07:46 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncalifornian girl View Post
Ok, first of all...this is not entirely about the guy, it's about lifestyle choices. But just so you know, he's not some hick I picked up in a bar. He's a remote colleague, and I've known him well for 4 years now. This is just our first in person meeting. Major sparks flew, but I am going into this with eyes wide open. He may just end up being a local friend and contact, (helpful--I don't know a soul in Boston) or we may split up after a year, who knows. Hard to say at this point. I'm never a doormat, and I've certainly been around the block with guy stuff. But it's exciting. I didn't see this coming...So no, I didn't consider North Carolina before. It's not as much of a "destination" place as Boston or other cities, but I really like it.

I know from my posts I sound like an impulsive idiot. But I'm actually a nose-to-the-grindstone workaholic, who is finally taking a much deserved break. You don't know all the details, so don't judge. This has been a crazy time for me, and yes I have moved too fast. There were red flags all along with this Boston job and apartment, and if I hadn't rushed I wouldn't be in this situation now. I just don't see how waiting the year out in Boston makes sense, with the extremely high living costs (and rather disappointing pay) I wouldn't be able to save, and I'd face more moving costs later. It seems more sensible to take the hit now, get out of the apartment and go with the cheaper place to live. But maybe to be extra safe I will just let them keep the money so I am not on the hook for more.

I've spent a lot of my best years waiting around and being prudent. Life's too short. I'm racing around like a maniac right now, but once I figure this out, I'll have a better life.

Nice going with the snarky/belittling replies. I am clearly making the right choice.
I supposed that you consider my replies snarky, but one thing about Bostonians... we speak our mind. And if that's being snarky to you, well I don't think so. No need to pretend that I approve of your change in plans.

And again, with all of your posts about leaving CA, there are tons of posts about Boston, and even Chicago, but not any considerations for NC. And you've known this guy online for four years now, did he ever suggest that you move to NC? And what about your artistic leanings? NC just doesn't seem like a good fit for you. The only thing that NC has is this guy.

And does this guy actually want you to move to NC to be with him? How much does he want to you move to be with him? Has he offered to help pay for you ditching the Boston apartment? As it is, you went 500 miles out of your way to meet him, and that translates to a lot of extra gas and hotel money. And now that you've arrived in Boston, it's going to cost you to move to NC.

To be with this guy, you are ditching a new job (and burning bridges there), at least $1600 in rent, and then more in moving expenses to move to NC where you have no job yet or an apartment. You are throwing away thousands of dollars to be with this man right away. And btw are you planning on moving in with him right away?

I'm not disputing that this could turn into true love, but right now it's just lust and costing you thousands in dollars... and I don't see where this man has done more than buy you drinks and a few meals. If he loves you back, he should be paying to help you move to NC right away. Otherwise, stay in touch with him and move in a years time.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:51 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
NC isn't the best place to go looking for jobs but Charlotte is the 2nd largest financial capital in the US (surprise huh?). If you are in finance or accounting you may have luck there.
She's a frustrated artist who works as a packaging designer. She'd like to live near an artist community with art galleries. And she dresses in an edgy artsy sort of way. At least that's what I've gathered from her posts.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:56 PM

181 posts, read 506,048 times
Ugh. Forget it. My biggest mistake was posting on here for all to see. I'd delete my account if I could. Sounds like my posts don't reflect who I really am, or are giving off the wrong impression. And I really don't feel like explaining/divulging anymore.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:12 PM
miu

Just stop posting then. Bye!

Old 10-23-2012, 08:14 PM

617 posts, read 1,202,509 times
I've done crazier things and I have been burned in the process too. Do I regret it? Nope, these wild rides make you feel alive.

Here's what I would do though, take the job in RI and tough it out in Boston while waiting for somebody to sublet the apartment. In the meantime, network and apply for jobs in NC.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:18 PM

866 posts, read 2,628,526 times
If you've already accepted the job in Avon, they are counting on you to start work there.

Keep us posted on what you decide.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:27 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Ugh. Forget it. My biggest mistake was posting on here for all to see. I'd delete my account if I could. Sounds like my posts don't reflect who I really am, or are giving off the wrong impression. And I really don't feel like explaining/divulging anymore.
Not gonna worry about the specifics of your situation, but one thing you seem to have made clear is that the Boston thing was a mistake (and you seem to have put much more thought into that then this more recent plan). How do you know you won't be 2nd guessing the NC thing shortly after as well? I was 23 once as well.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:26 PM

596 posts, read 982,855 times
It's bad enough to be stuck in a geographic location because of your spouse (not to mention because of someone you barely know).

Take it from a guy: if he likes you he will make an effort to come to Boston to be with you. If he doesn't make any effort, then he is just not that into you.

If I was this guy, I would have serious doubts about trusting someone who was so ready and willing to break commitments made to people (employers and landlords).

Old 10-23-2012, 09:35 PM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Don't worry about it. Some people like to think that it's their place to dole out life advice to random strangers on the internet. At the end of the day, no one knows your situation better than you. The only thing I'd ask is not to make the same mistake about us that some of the people responding in this thread are making about you. They may feel inclined to judge you based on a few posts you've made on the forum and they're wrong for doing so. Please don't assume that everyone in Boston is the same as those doing the judging.

City-Data is great for giving practical advice about living in or visiting a certain location. You'll get insider tips on the transit systems, driving directions, where you grab a bite to eat or where to get a drink. Take the life tips with a grain of salt. I don't understand why people try to tell you what to do with your life on a forum like this. I would say taking life advice from a complete stranger on the internet is far more risky than any chance you may be taking by following your heart.

Good luck in North Carolina or wherever life takes you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston