Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2007, 08:51 AM
ani ani started this thread

2 posts, read 8,320 times

Advertisements

hello. i may be moving to boston soon to attend the Harvard School of Public Health, and need to start considering what my options are. Could someone please advise me on places to live that are close by to the campus?
Would Brighton be a consideration, and if so, is it on the metro line? i will be on a meagre budget, and so would like to spend not more than about $1200 a month or less for a 1 bedroom apt, and so do not mind moving a little way out, just as long as i can access the campus easily by metro. any suggestions on other neighborhoods to consider? i am a single female and will be living alone, and so safety is important to me.
thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 12:44 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,935,001 times
Okay, to get you off to the right start, so people will be able to help out when you ask directions, here's the first thing to know: In Boston it's the "T," not the "metro." You can get the T from Brighton. Whether that's a bus or light rail depends on what part of Brighton. What character the neighborhood has also depends on what part of Brighton. Farther east it's a lot of students. Farther west it's an old established working class area.

Your budget for housing should allow you some choice about the type of neighborhood you'd prefer to live in. If you want a more residential area that's still kind of urban, try Brookline. It's a mix of families, some young professionals, and maybe some students as well. One corner of Brookline actually borders the section of Boston where the hospitals are. Another area not far from the hospitals is Jamaica Plain. Like Brookline, it's residential but still fairly urban. J.P. is kind of racially mixed, and you're likely to find more of a young professional crowd there than in Brookline.

A little farther out from Brookline is Newton, which is beginning to get somewhat suburban, but fairly densely populated suburban. Newton is kind of family-oriented, so there won't be as many young professional/student sorts like you around, but it's a big town, and there is a real variety of people, so they're there, but you might have to look some to find them. The exception would be neighborhoods close to Boston College, which is actually in Newton. The advantage of Newton is that you're likely to find some more affordable rental housing than right in the city.

But, if you prefer being right in town, you may be able to find something at the top of your budget. You might want to try the Back Bay or South End neighborhoods (north end of the South End is closer to the hospitals and a nicer, safer area than farther south). If you'd like something that's urban, not right in the central part of Boston, and a little Bohemian and a lot student-oriented, try across the river in Cambridge.

You can get to the hospitals from all these neighborhoods on the T. A few ideas to get you started. Best of luck.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:24 AM

2 posts, read 2,162 times
There is a housing list called HMS Trading Post, people post on it for folks like you.
Check out Jamaica Plain.
Brookline is "safe" but pricey...
Good luck,
Kate

Old 07-18-2014, 11:48 AM

974 posts, read 1,904,663 times
Glad you're considering HSPH - great group of people.

Not sure what your expectations are for apartments in Boston, but they are much smaller and much more expensive than other places. In student areas of Boston, $1,200 will usually get you a 2-300 sqft studio, not a 1 BR, in a student-y building. If you have a roommate, you can get more space with a lower price tag.

You can access HMS/HSPH intranet resources once you have your HUID. Folks will post for roommates or subleases for the Longwood area.

Check out Harvard resources now: Other Housing & Resources | Harvard University Housing for basic info about renting in Boston.

Harvard has housing in the Fenway (Trilogy and Park Dr)--guess you don't want to go that route? If you're not used to city living, it may be worth the extra cost to you as everything is right there: food, groceries, shuttles to Cambridge campus, libraries, etc. It is a very easy neighborhood to navigate.

Folks attending school in the Longwood campus generally don't live in Brighton. It's an awkward commute. Doable - but awkward.

You'll find more single HSPH students in studios in Fenway and around Mission Hill.

JP/Forest Hills will also work for you on the 39 Bus.
MBTA > Schedules & Maps > Bus > 39 - Forest Hills Sta. - Back Bay Sta. via Huntington Ave.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:45 PM

188 posts, read 284,615 times
Most students at HSPH live around Fenway and Mission Hill, with roommates.
Young folks that work in research labs (e.g, assistants, fellows etc) generally prefer Brighton or Brookline or South End.
Few live in Cambridge or Beacon Hill or Chestnut Hill (areas that are easily accessible through shuttles to and from LMA).
For the rent range you specify ($1200 or less) you might find a studio if you would like to live alone. However, most likely it might be better to look for rooms to share with roommates and I agree that internal Harvard and HSPH resources are really very helpful.
In general, students at HSPH/HMS try to live close and avoid commuting. I think that the best thing for a student is to live close to the school and in neighborhoods with other students and friends, so I would avoid offbeat solutions, even if you could rent a bigger place.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:17 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,775,469 times
I would suggest Arlington. Bus 77 goes from Arlington to Harvard Square. Driving is relatively easy too.
I just got an apartment for $1150 there.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:50 PM

974 posts, read 1,904,663 times
Just saw the OP was from 2007.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:26 AM

6,475 posts, read 7,816,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowbe202 View Post
Yeah, she's probably CEO of Slovakia or something by now.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:20 AM

120 posts, read 237,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowbe202 View Post

How about I take over her post? We'll be postdocing at the Landmark Center on Park Drive, so looking at the same area...

However, a few changes in the variables:

We've got a family of 5!
Have to keep the minivan so need parking.
Have to have laundry in unit.
Have to have at least 1000 sqft, preferably 1500.

I like the idea of finding a townhouse in Newton and just having the straight shot to Fenway Station.
Also considering getting closer in, but it's gotta be the right price and safe enough to be ok for the kids and I at home alone and dh coming home late...Brookline?

Problem:
We don't know our budget but you know as a postdoc it won't be much! I'll try to babysit to pick up some income, but by and large we'll live on dh salary. Minimum $42,000 which we know is a no-go for our family. But could we make it on $60,000? $55?

I'm continuing my research. I lived in Allston 10-ish years ago, so I'm familiar with the area and more comfortable with city-living than my dh, but having kids really changes things!!! And I don't know about how neighborhoods have changed in the decade.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:59 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,247,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlkmnsgrl View Post
How about I take over her post? We'll be postdocing at the Landmark Center on Park Drive, so looking at the same area...

However, a few changes in the variables:

We've got a family of 5!
Have to keep the minivan so need parking.
Have to have laundry in unit.
Have to have at least 1000 sqft, preferably 1500.

I like the idea of finding a townhouse in Newton and just having the straight shot to Fenway Station.
Also considering getting closer in, but it's gotta be the right price and safe enough to be ok for the kids and I at home alone and dh coming home late...Brookline?

Problem:
We don't know our budget but you know as a postdoc it won't be much! I'll try to babysit to pick up some income, but by and large we'll live on dh salary. Minimum $42,000 which we know is a no-go for our family. But could we make it on $60,000? $55?

I'm continuing my research. I lived in Allston 10-ish years ago, so I'm familiar with the area and more comfortable with city-living than my dh, but having kids really changes things!!! And I don't know about how neighborhoods have changed in the decade.

Please make new thread. This is not visible to anyone.
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston