U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2007, 07:52 PM

4 posts, read 15,001 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm considering moving to Boston within the next year. I've visited there before, stayed on Longwood near Harvard Medical School, I believe? The city transit was great. I'm single, in my 50's, just want to know about areas that are close to transit and fairly safe. (I mean, I don't go walking around at midnight or anything!!!)
I'm looking for suggestions as to WHERE I should consider looking for apartment rentals. I won't have a car, looking for a small place, highrise preferable, can pay around $2,000 per mo rent (or whatever - that's just appx). Will need to be close to groceries, subway, train, or whatever city transit available. Also, don't cook much, but like to eat at small cafes, diners, (nothing fancy) so would like a neighborhood where all that is in close proximity. While I stayed near Longwood, I did travel all around Boston and love it ALL. Just don't know what areas are what! Like the Harvard area, Cambridge, Financial District... hmm. I need some guidance. Also, anyone know of websites that I can go online and look at apartments so I can get some ideas before I go apartment hunting there? I'm currently in Texas, so it is a major trip to go to Boston before my move. Lemme tell you, I LOVE Boston. Seems like the greatest city I've ever been to - and I've done a lot of travelling!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 08:02 PM

23 posts, read 122,986 times
Hi, I have an apartment available that might suit what you're looking for..if you'd like more info or for me to send pics, please send me a message.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:51 PM

639 posts, read 3,422,177 times
AuntieJulie,

I hear ya, I'm 50 "something" too...you could check Brookline, MA. out may be? I have some family members living there and they wouldn't live any where else. It's got everything within walking distance for you. Loads of unique shops, some museums, tons of wonderful restaurants. The trolley/MBTA subway system is right there, it would be ideal. Here's a list of all the various neighborhoods in Brookline, I think if I were you? I'd start with either Brookline Village or Coolidge Corner, so remember these two when you're investigating where to live...

* Beaconsfield
* Brookline Village
* Chestnut Hill, which extends into Newton, Brighton, and West Roxbury.
* Corey Hill
* Coolidge Corner
* Larz Anderson Park
* Longwood (across the Muddy River from the Longwood Medical and Academic Area in Boston)
* North Brookline
* South Brookline
* Washington Square
* Brookline Hills
* Pill Hill
* The Point
* Buttonwood Village
* Fisher Hill

Good luck and hope you find just the right neighborhood to live in. I think you're going to love living in Boston. Are you sure you're going to be okay with our freezing cold winters though? I'm in your age group and the arthritis is kicking in like you wouldn't believe and it's due to our extremely cold winter months that we have to deal with. Just want to make sure you're going to be okay with them!

I forgot to tell you...check Craigslist and another really good site is Boston.com, it'll list a lot of good rentals. You're going to be JUST fine if you're A-okay with 2 grand a month, that's what a lot of the decent places would start at any way....

Old 10-15-2007, 07:48 AM

Thanks, CareerMove! However, it would be some time (later next year) before I move, so it is too early to start looking at specific apartments - however, I *do* want to have some specific areas in mind. I really appreciate your response! Thank you.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:52 AM

CityGirl, THANK YOU! This gives me some great places to start! I like your statement that "It's got everything within walking distance for you. Loads of unique shops, some museums, tons of wonderful restaurants. The trolley/MBTA subway system is right there"... Sounds like what I'm looking for. I work from home (computer) so the winters wouldn't be too bad a problem - I wouldn't need to get out daily - But you're right, I'm not too used to cold and snow. (smile). I know this is naive, but it almost sounds delightful compared to some of the hot dry winters we experience here (TX) - as long as I don't have to drive in it, shovel it, or spend massive amounts of time in it. LOL. Enjoying it from the window might work okay.
I truly appreciate the information - this is most helpful!!
AuntieJulie

Old 10-15-2007, 02:20 PM

630 posts, read 2,168,441 times
AuntieJulie - I'm in my late 40's and just moved to Ma. I live in Bedford and that would probably not work for you, but I found my apartment through rent.com and there is always craigslist for looking for apartments. Good luck to you on your search and ultimate relocation.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:50 PM

Thanks! I look forward to enjoying Boston!

Old 10-15-2007, 04:21 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,073,829 times
try Arlington, brookline, chestnut hill west roxbury-roslindale maybe even J.P.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:26 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,755,003 times
Julie -

For $2K/mo rent, you can live pretty much where you choose. Back Bay (near Copley Sq. & Boston Public Library, locally known as BPL), Bay Village, So. End are relatively safe & walkable to everywhere in the city, near the Gardens/Common/downtown financial district, restaurants. You're also convenient to all transportation - many busses, green/orange/purple line trains, Amtrak (from Back Bay or Copley Sq. Stations). These are predominately upper income areas, gay friendly, mix of couples/families/singles, near the Theatre District, large movie complex, upscale Prudential Center/Copley Plaza mall stores & Newbury St. designer shops/hairsalons/restaurants. Copley is busy all night with restaurant/bar patrons, those walking to public transit & the homeless, but it's safe to walk around, of course with normal precautions. I've heard of rare problems, but I've never had a problem waiting for a bus at 11:30pm at Copley Sta. after leaving my friends for dinner/drinks.

You could also afford Beacon Hill, just off downtown (a walk across Boston Common) & 15-20 min walk from Copley Sq. My friend from FR rented a furnished condo for 6-mos & was very happy. Nice, upscale, neighborhood shops that close early. You need to walk into town/Copley for nightlife & I'd be more careful around the Common as it's somewhat deserted/quiet at night. Friends who've lived in BH have reported that many apts/bldgs have mice there, even beautiful units, so you should ask when calling on apts.

As Maggie said, Brookline (commute via greenline train) is lovely, quiet, safe, mix of students/many ethnicities/families. Cambridge (Harvard Sq., Porter Sq. on redline trains) are lovely, safe areas with a mix of everything - restaurants, movies, people. Easy trainride into downtown Boston, have to switch lines, red to green, to go beyond downtown. Arlington is nice, too, on the green line, 2 towns over from Boston (Cambridge is in-between). Cambridge & Arlington are walkable, have their own shopping areas, but a bit further from Boston if not near a subway station. If you're carless & working from home, this may not matter, but just letting you know if you need to rely on a busline. Davis Sq. in Somerville is nice, as well & near Cambridge.

I've moved cross country several times & took apts sight unseen, but in newer, very large complexes (200+ apts). Many apts here tend to be in older buildings which may look lovely on the outside of a gorgeous brick/stone building, but may not be as upscale on the inside as you think. In other words, renovated Victorians, like the one I live in, may not have bathtubs/vanities (I have a 5' x 5' bathroom with a toilet & stall shower - no room for sink or vaniety & no tub). There is no room for a dishwasher or disposal, again, which is common in many apts. Since your rent range is very high, you'd probably find a lovely, newly renovated condo with a full kitchen (craigslist is a great source), but make sure to ask these questions. People may assume you know & not mention these things to you.

The easiest way to choose a neighborhood here is to figure out what you want to do first. Theatre, ballet, restaurants, pubs, parks, walking on trails, city walking, beach walking? Neighborhoods are on different color train lines, many of it greenline. So, do get a good map of the city & check out mbta.com for train/bus lines. Why live out in Arlington if you've got to commute via bus and/or 1-2 trains to another section of the city on another color line? Why live in Brookline on the greenline if everything you do is in Harvard Sq. on the redline (2 trains & a cold commute in the winter)?

I'd encourage you to search on this forum (upper righthand corner) for many, many posts on just this info on the city itself. There's tons of posts from previous posters asking the same questions you have. Check out thephoenix.com to get an idea of what sorts of events/entertainment is around. Citysearch.com is more a bar/restaurant guide, but it will give you an idea of what's available in different neighborhoods.

By the way, there are a few B&B's in Boston, so perhaps you could either visit & stay there (they're a wealth of knowledge) or move & stay at a monthly rate, if it's available? One is on Newbury St. Check out bedandbreakfast.com. Perhaps sign a short-term lease, if you don't visit first, so you can just stay 3-6 mos in 1 apt & then decide where you'd like to move from there. That's my normal gameplan when I move & I've moved over 1-dozen times. Many landlords, such as myself, only do month to month leases, so that's another option to ask for.

Good luck with narrowing down your choices & best of luck with your relocation... VV

Last edited by Baltic_Celt; 10-15-2007 at 07:35 PM..

Old 10-17-2007, 08:58 PM

2,408 posts, read 4,440,940 times
Default Charles River Park

...in the West End, behind Mass General Hospital, is a quiet enclave of highrise apartment buildings. Very convenient, safe, close to things. There are other high rise residential buildings scattered around, including several in Brookline near Coolidge Corner and some on Mass. Avenue in Cambridge, and on Tremont Street opposite Boston Common. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston