Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2012, 01:03 PM

12 posts, read 21,369 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place - first time poster here!

I'll try to spare the long story but I'm a 24 year old professional living at home in Franklin trying to move closer to where I work in the Financial District. I'd really like a place south of Boston more "out of the city" but with the city feel or at least close to the city and not too far from home.

I think I've narrowed it down to a few particular locations in order of preference: Dorchester (Lower Mills area), Quincy (North would be preferable), Braintree (farther away).

I'm just wondering what I should do or if there are new developments or existing developments that I may have missed within my budget. As much as I don't want to feel picky, I know I am. I love granite, stainless steel, dark wood cabinets, nice tiled bathrooms, the works. Lofts really seem to pull the look together that I desire. Now finding a place like that is tough within my budget...

I only have a downpayment for a house around $200,000 (give or take) and I would definitely want a 2 bed 2 bath to pay the mortgage. However, that would be my entire savings and I'm not sure how long I will live in the area - so I'm wondering if I should rent.

If I rent, I can't go over a personal budget of $1,000 a month. I really don't make enough for that but I want to live somewhere I look forward to coming home. Ideally I would like to pay $800-900 after utilities. I have a roommate lined up who's willing to pay $900 and a girlfriend who would toss in around $500 so technically we can afford around $2300 after utilities. I love the look of the lofts in the city - especially the Lofts at Lower Mills. Gorgeous - I love it! The area seems amazing too and it's a 30 minute ride to work - not to mention a 3 minute walk to the station. I spoke with them today and all the units are currently filled, which is too bad.

Lenox Farms in Braintree is nice too but they seem to hit you with weird fees ($60/mo for a shuttle to the T) and it's farther out. I haven't read too many fantastic reviews either but it's very nice and semi-expensive. It's just a lot longer to work (around 50 minutes) which defeats my purpose of moving out. They apparently changed ownership as well and I've heard complaints about pets. As a matter of fact, when I first viewed the units, there was one they couldn't show because of cleaning due to pets.

I guess what I'm wondering is if there's other units nearby that I'm missing that meet my expectations and budget?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 04:05 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,188,951 times
What about renting at Marina Bay, a shuttle away from the N. Quincy red line?

That large modern building overlooking the red line and Neponset River, called 2 Hancock or Neponset Landing may be an option. Not sure if they offer granite and stainless steel, though.

Archstone at Granite Links up on a hill in West Quincy may be an option.

Not sure if any of these can offer a loft experience unlike those Lower Mills units. There's fancy units up the street from there in Milton, next to Extra Space storage.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:28 AM

Oh wow, thanks!

The Neponset Landing apartments seem decent. Not quite what I was looking for but definitely in my budget with a gorgeous view! If I wanted, I could likely fit a den in my budget as well - now that would be great.

Archstone I took a look at as well and for some reason it just didn't appeal to me. I'm not sure why but it's just not my place I suppose.

For some reason I've pretty much set my heart on Lower Mills, despite the fact that there's no units available right now. I was told a 2 bedroom would become available in February, but they mentioned it was $2700...way too much for me! I'm hoping something will work out.

Do you know the name of the units up the street in Milton?

Thanks!

Old 12-11-2012, 04:02 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,519,873 times
Take a look at renting at Weymouthport in N. Weymouth
and with a short drive to the commuter boat in Hingham to Rowes Warf
you would be Golden.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:35 PM

I still think that's somewhat of a hike! I'm beginning to look more in areas like Jamaica Plain as well since the Lofts at Lower Mills are out of the question now (I called them, no availability for what I'm looking for).

Gah!

Old 12-17-2012, 01:34 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,188,951 times
Ten Faxon in Quincy Center is nice and modern. 1br may be $1600 or less, but you are considering roommates, so you may find a 2br within your budget.

The library is across the street as well as red line subway, City Hall and Starbucks.

It's usually seen in those monthly apt. guide booklets.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:32 PM

Oh wow yes! That's a really nice one! I wonder why it hasn't shown up in any of my searches yet.

I know I can't be quite as nit-picky as I'd like (the kitchen cabinets at Ten Faxon are white, I'd like tan or dark) but that's a great unit and worth considering. It's too bad the 2 bedroom prices go up so much from the 1 bedroom - I was really excited for a 2 bed 2 bath in the $1800 range. I'll take a look...thank you!

Have any of you guys looked at the Carruth before in Dorchester? There's a few units for sale right now and I guess they usually rent for around $1900-$2200 for a smaller unit but I can't find any right now. Thoughts?

Old 12-26-2012, 10:40 AM

Can anyone offer any thoughts on the Carruth and the location (Ashmont station, Lower Mills area of Dorchester)? I went and saw a couple of the units - they were nice, so now I'm cautious on the location. They also only offer a single parking spot, even if you buy a two bedroom.

Help!

Old 12-27-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikey19 View Post
Can anyone offer any thoughts on the Carruth and the location (Ashmont station, Lower Mills area of Dorchester)? I went and saw a couple of the units - they were nice, so now I'm cautious on the location. They also only offer a single parking spot, even if you buy a two bedroom.

Help!
Well, I think I've decided against buying at the Carruth despite the really nice units. They rent them as well but I haven't been able to get a quote on an actual unit. When I met with them, they told me floors 1-4 were for renting and 5-6 were owned. However when I asked for a rental quote, I was given a quote on a 6th floor unit so the owner must be leasing it out.

The building is only 33% owner occupied and it will be difficult enough for me to get a mortgage alone not to mention one with low OO. It's also by the Ashmont T, which could be considered good and bad, but apparently they only offer one parking spot per unit whether it's a two bedroom or a one bedroom (this goes for rentals and sales). This could make it difficult to sell in the future.

Does anyone else know of a good area that may be close to transportation within my price range? Perhaps in Newton or other areas of Dorchester, Milton, or northern Quincy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston