Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2012, 05:53 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,929,380 times

Advertisements

Are there different accents within Boston and metro area much like the NYC metro? Does the north end, southie, Harvard U area, or Somerville all have their own accents?

I found this vid of a person from the north end. It sounds very similar to the NYC italian accent. It does not sound like Ben Affleck's accent in "the Town"

Tough Guy from Boston's North End (from AMERICAN TONGUES) - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 11:22 PM

93 posts, read 264,993 times
Yes, accents vary across the area. There are different clusters (Dorchester/Southie, Everett/Revere, "North Shore," etc.) but whether or not someone has a particular strain of the Boston accent (or any accent at all, for that matter) can vary quite a bit based on their age, ethnicity, upbringing etc. That being said, I can't say I've ever really heard anyone talk like the guy featured in that video.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:06 AM

546 posts, read 1,376,435 times
I remember many years ago, listening to a WBZ radio talk (tock) show where folks from Boston and the area would call in, and just by talking to this guest, he could tell what neighborhood you come from. Not only from what area, but close to the street you grew up on.

That video you posted did not even sound as thick as some of the accents that I have heard from North Enders. It did not sound like what I remember thier accent to be. That also reminded me of the 80's. I cannot speak on the Charlestown accent as I have only heard it a few times. I grew up in Hyde Park "HIGH PAAHK"

Old 12-16-2012, 12:55 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,397 times
These accents sound exaggerated, actually not necessarily traditional, more low class slang. Not sure why people make such a big deal out of Boston accents, when there are people in Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, Louisiana, South Carolina, Georgia, etc that really sound horrible.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:27 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,929,380 times
I am not saying boston accent sounds horrible. TNT was showing "The Town" and the accent are a heavy part of the movie. So I looked it up on youtube, and found that vid. In that vid, the guy sounds like he is from NYC, and nothing like the movie. So I was curious

Old 12-17-2012, 06:45 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHboston View Post
Yes, accents vary across the area. There are different clusters (Dorchester/Southie, Everett/Revere, "North Shore," etc.) but whether or not someone has a particular strain of the Boston accent (or any accent at all, for that matter) can vary quite a bit based on their age, ethnicity, upbringing etc. That being said, I can't say I've ever really heard anyone talk like the guy featured in that video.
Everybody has an accent.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:16 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I am not saying boston accent sounds horrible. TNT was showing "The Town" and the accent are a heavy part of the movie. So I looked it up on youtube, and found that vid. In that vid, the guy sounds like he is from NYC, and nothing like the movie. So I was curious
The Boston accent is one that Hollywood has generally gotten wrong over the years.

It's funny that whenever I travel outside of the area and I tell people that I live in Boston, they always ask me to say car, or park your car in Harvard yard.

Depending on where you go in this area, most people don't have as thick an accent as many would believe.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:53 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,834,313 times
With all the radio, TV, movies, etc. modeling standardized American English, plus all the moving in and out over the years of large numbers of people, it's a wonder any regional accent persists, much less accents specific to Charlestown or Dorchester, etc. Same for the NY-NJ area-- no one in Brooklyn or anywhere else says "toity-toid 'n toid" any more.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:36 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,909,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lanata View Post
I remember many years ago, listening to a WBZ radio talk (tock) show where folks from Boston and the area would call in, and just by talking to this guest, he could tell what neighborhood you come from. Not only from what area, but close to the street you grew up on.
I'm a far cry from the guest on that show. No way that I'd be able to associate variations of the accent to particular local areas, but I am aware that variations exist.

A few I've noticed are:

People often talk about dropped "r"'s, but many Bostonians also have a tendency to add "r"'s where they don't belong, like pronouncing the name Lisa as "Leesser." I've noticed that some people display a more pronounced use of this speech pattern than others.

The soft "a" sound pronounced more like "ah." In particular I've noticed that some people pronounce a certain part of the anatomy in this way, sort of like "aahss." I've wondered whether that might be a vestige of the old word "arse," The only time I've heard that pronunciation from someone when I knew where the person lived, the guy was from Chelsea. Since I haven't known the area of residence of anyone else I've ever heard use this pronunciation, I have no idea whether it's associated with certain localities, or if so, which ones.

I've heard some people pronounce the "r" sound at the beginning of words as kind of an "r," "v," "h" combination. "The weather for our day at the beach was rvheally grvheat."

Generally, the accent in whatever variation seems to be very, very diluted (possibly sometimes even nonexistent) in most suburbs (the exceptions being somewhat urban and/or blue collar suburbs as opposed to towns with a quintessentially suburban feel, and among older individuals who grew up in the area before the accent began to fade in many locales).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston