Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2012, 10:44 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,364,112 times

Advertisements

I was looking over some digitals of a Europe trip that connected through Boston Logan, and from the international terminal windows, one could see the jumbo jets on taxi ways. Beyond them, across these water ways, you could see these older houses on hills and knolls. They were clapboard / Cape Cods, mostly single family and not particularly large, a few brick ones, and multi-unit stuff here and there.

What is this neighborhood called? Is it a good neighborhood, as in safe, vibe, and reputation? What kind of prices? I think it would be cool seeing big planes headed to Europe, and around the world, on Boston Logan's taxi ways across from one's place of residence, and COULD put up with the noise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 10:58 PM

2 posts, read 4,758 times
A lot of what you see is east boston - in particular Orient Heights. It's an affordable, blue collar neighborhood right on the water. And the noise isn't that bad (my dad lives there). Hope this helps

Old 12-19-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyinthecity View Post
A lot of what you see is east boston - in particular Orient Heights. It's an affordable, blue collar neighborhood right on the water. And the noise isn't that bad (my dad lives there). Hope this helps
Wow, quick response. I though it was neat. If one lives near an airport, they get used to the noise. I'll have to look at a MBTA map to see how it's served. Thank you!

Old 12-20-2012, 09:01 AM

12,825 posts, read 22,009,846 times
East Boston/Orient Heights is served on the Blue Line of the MBTA's rapid transit system.

The other area you could have been looking at is Winthrop which is actually and it's a separate, middle class municipality. It's nice, but not nearly as well connected to the city as most of East Boston.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:10 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,187,473 times
I think this part of Eastie has less ethnic mix than right around Maverick Sq. and its namesake subway station. It's another two stops away from the airport, further from downtown.

Seems pleasant when I've driven by at night. Even noticed lots of Christmas lights in years' past. They have their own Boston Public Library branch as well.

Some nice views back to the airport and the skyline.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:16 AM

I did a Mapquest and pulled up those names. I also pulled up another promontory/peninsula called Cottage Heights, or something to that effect. Looks transit challenged, but also separated from the airport by inlets of water. Cool layout for the metro area, that's for sure.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:34 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,187,473 times
Actually, Eastie, as noted, is served by three blue line stations as well as buses (would think). So it serms eady to grt yo, plus it's adjacent yo roadway 1A.

Some parts of Eastie have skyline views of Boston from a hill in the Jeffries Point section. Some yuppies have discovered it. They share the renovated Maverick subway station with Brazilians and people from Columbia and such. To get to Orient Heights, drive down Bennington St. past some churches and schools. Mainly triple decker homes in this area. Then you'll reach that section of the Heights with a beach and view to Logan and the distant skyline. Then continue on the way to Winthrop, where a section also has views of the skyline.

I think Winthrop now has ferry service to downtown, but only in summertime?

Old 12-20-2012, 11:38 AM

Thanks very much. Boston, and all NE cities with an ethnic and historical fabric, fascinate me. In that regard, the newer and less dense homogenized West is really lacking. Why my parents left the NE to move West is sometimes beyond me. Actually, it was one thing ... the weather.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:30 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,110,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I think this part of Eastie has less ethnic mix than right around Maverick Sq. and its namesake subway station. It's another two stops away from the airport, further from downtown.
Eh, it's pretty mixed. I've certainly seen a lot of Hispanics and Arabs/Muslims in the area, I wind up there at least 1-2x a month for the always excellent Belle Isle Seafood at the bridge to Winthrop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston