U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2013, 01:00 AM

5 posts, read 7,212 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Boston at the end of this month with my girlfriend and would be working in the Back Bay(Berkeley Street) area in Boston. I am looking for a place to rent with an easy commute to my work and have a budget of around $1400. Any suggestions where do I start looking for apartments ? Any help will be great
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 05:24 AM

2,257 posts, read 7,823,837 times
I'm assuming that's 1400 for a 1-bedroom? You will probably have the best luck looking at Allston or Brighton, or perhaps Mission Hill - all accessible to Back Bay via the Green Line (Mission Hill also has the Orange Line). Another option is East Boston, which would involve a change from the Blue Line to the Green Line, but which may actually make for a shorter commute than many areas of Allston-Brighton.

East Somerville near the Sullivan T stop on the Orange Line is an option as well, although it's not the most lively neighborhood outside of Union Square. Places near the Orange Line in Roxbury should be within your budget, but again, I'm less certain that you will love the neighborhood. I guess it couldn't hurt to look in places like Jamaica Plain, Central Square (Cambridge), or Brookline, but I suspect it will be harder to find something in these more desirable nabes within your budget.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:53 PM

5,817 posts, read 15,264,413 times
How important to you is access to public transit? Will you have a car? Would you plan to commute by auto or public transit? Also, what length commute do you consider reasonable, and what sort of neighborhood would you want to have around you (local shopping and dining or more suburban, etc.)?

Old 01-12-2013, 10:49 PM

Public transportation is very important. We will have one car between two people, but we will prefer to commute by public transportation because parking would be difficult. A 20 minute commute would be reasonable. We are looking more for safety and to be near public transportation than anything in a neighborhood, but dining and shopping close by would be a nice benefit as well. Would you say that traffic is difficult all of the time or just during rush hour? Thank you for any help you can offer.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:33 AM

13,250 posts, read 41,499,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac125 View Post
Public transportation is very important. We will have one car between two people, but we will prefer to commute by public transportation because parking would be difficult. A 20 minute commute would be reasonable. We are looking more for safety and to be near public transportation than anything in a neighborhood, but dining and shopping close by would be a nice benefit as well. Would you say that traffic is difficult all of the time or just during rush hour? Thank you for any help you can offer.
Traffic is a bear the closer you get to Back Bay/the Public Gardens/Downtown. And it's even worse trying to get -out- of that area, on the way home during the evening rush hour.

My vote for choices for you would be Brighton (not Allston-Brighton, but rather solidly planted on the Brighton side of the line), perhaps Oak Square or the neighboring streets. The area is relatively safe, it's a reasonable walk to the Boston College T-stop (green line) on Comm Ave. It's next door to Newton, which is lovely, there's an express bus that runs every hour to take you to Downtown Crossing, and there are other buses that connect you up with the Green Line at Fenway/Kenmore Square. And even more buses that can connect you to Harvard Square in Cambridge. Not to mention that the north end is Soldier's Field Road, which connects you to Storrow Drive. It's sort of like, Brighton is the center of "the other side" of Boston, a hub with connections to everywhere else. Some old families there, and college students, and just plain working people. Neighborhood bars and a few restaurant chains, there's a shopping mall not too far, and a couple of supermarkets in the general vicinity.

More significant nightlife is only a couple miles down the road on Comm Ave in Allston, which is perfect because you can visit, without being stuck living there with all the puking drunk college students

Last edited by AnonChick; 01-13-2013 at 09:02 AM..

Old 01-13-2013, 07:44 PM

5,817 posts, read 15,264,413 times
Agree with AnonChick about Brighton. Unless you are one of those "puking drunk college students" she mentions, or don't mind living in the middle of them and their noisy parties, it's better not to think in terms of living wherever in Allston-Brighton, but instead to stick to Brighton generally west of Market St.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:57 PM

Thanks guys for your help! And No we are not one of the drinking puking clg kids

Old 01-14-2013, 03:59 PM

9 posts, read 8,641 times
Thanks! I have found this info useful as well.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:42 PM

13,250 posts, read 41,499,591 times
If it helps to get specific, I've lived in four different spots in Brighton, though it was many MANY years ago (over 20). On the other hand, I've been there since then as well, and in fact it's where I always park my car when I'm visiting Boston. Since it's only 2 minutes off the end of I-90, before Storrow Drive, I park around Market Street and walk up to Comm Ave and take the green line to downtown. From there, I go all over the place, enjoy my day trip, and grab a bus back to my car after supper. It hasn't really changed all that much. It's older. That's about it.

The spots I've lived in:

A tiny little side street right behind Washington, called Peaceable Street. It's off Academy Hill Road, and has I think 8 houses on it. It's a 1-lane, 1-way street that opens up onto Winship. Quietest little street I've ever been on - you wouldn't even know it existed, unless you knew it existed

Second spot was somewhere in within the triangle of Arlington, Parsons, and Faneuil Streets. I can't remember exactly. Lousy house-mate situation, but nice, quiet street (other than my housemate, who was a loud, obnoxious slob).

Third was right in Oak Square. Next to the fire house, there was a little neighborhood food store, and I lived in an apartment above it in that building. During Hurricane um..somethingorother - I sat next door in the firehouse truck room, watching the tree branches fly up the road. Great neighborhood, awesome fire dept. Oddly enough, it was pretty quiet there.

Last was on Leamington, which is off Wallingford, which is off Chestnut Hill Road. Another mostly quiet 1-lane 1-way street, though it was closer to the main drag and had multi-unit apartment buildings on it. We lived in a house opposite the apartment buildings.

If you want -quick- access to the Green Line, I'd recommend anything behind Comm Ave, near Chestnut Hill, down toward Washington. From Washington, it can be a pretty good hike in the winter when there's snow on the ground. If you're okay with the bus, Oak Square is pretty awesome if you can find an apartment or one floor of the many multi-family houses. If you'd prefer being close to Soldier's Field, you'll want to be further down Market, to the Market side of Faneuil Street. It's not nearly as pleasant an area unless it's been gentrified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston