Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2013, 03:23 PM

895 posts, read 1,702,738 times

Advertisements

I am a young man looking to possibly relocate to Boston. I am a big fan of contemporary Archietecture and was impressed by some buildings I saw in Seattle, to give you an idea. I understand that Boston is very historical in some aspects, being the center of the revolution and all, but I imagine there are contemporary establishments sprinkled here and there.

These buildings are my preference:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mode...20&bih=416#i=0

https://www.google.com/search?q=mode...20&bih=416#i=7

This is the general feel I'm looking for. If you have any input, let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 06:29 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
There's some contemporary architecture in Boston and Cambridge, but predominantly the buildings are older. Here's the MIT STATA Center which I always thought was a very cool example of contemporary architecture:

http://www.architravel.com/files/bul...er_Gehry_4.jpg

Old 01-18-2013, 04:45 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
The John Hancock Tower, built around 1974, I think, is the defining skyscraper here, by I.M. Pei. Its location ensures it doesn't get obscured by other skyscrapers, which allows its beauty to literally shine. I think most people here love its shining blue mirrored facade (but not everyone?).

Our Institute of Contemporary Art, build just a few years ago, has its new location in the Seaport District.

But, no, we don't have many buildings similar to which you depicted in your link.

(Sorry, but don't know how to post pictures)

Old 01-18-2013, 06:30 AM

974 posts, read 1,896,941 times
The daddy of all modernists tucked a little building in at Harvard:
Carpenter Center for the Visual Arts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And to prove there is no accounting for taste:
Ada Louise Huxtable was the architecture critic who loved City Hall - Editorial - The Boston Globe

Old 01-23-2013, 11:41 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
MIT looks very cool. Different from all the other institutes with long history.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:14 PM

12,818 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Brutalism did a lot to sort of turn people against bold, modern architecture. The shame of it is that the architecture isn't so much of a problem; the development style and maintenance (or lack thereof) is.

When you say "Brutalism" in Boston, people instantly think of City Hall. It's the most famous one in the city. It's not the prettiest building on earth, but the real problem is the development of/around it. For one, in order to build City Hall, the city had to demolish a bustling, dense, urban (although lower income) neighborhood. That was a bad omen before development even started. Then, the city built City Hall and surrounded it with a barren, brick plaza. It's a horrible place. In the winter it feels like Red Square in Moscow during WWII... windswept and frigid and devoid of happiness (I don't think I'm exaggerating). In the summer, it's still fairly lifeless and devoid of any green or inviting spaces to relax. The building is the least of the problems. The real flaw with City Hall is that instead of opening up the ground level to retail, cafes, etc. They've closed it off. It's a monolith. Instead of keeping the exterior and interior clean and up to date, it's been left to decay and be covered in a layer of grime.

If it were kept clean with some interior and minor exterior updating, the building wouldn't be bad. The plaza would still suck, however. Brutalism gets a bad name in Boston because of City Hall (and some others like the nearby Hurley Building). However, there are examples out there of how it works well. Most Bostonians would agree that the Christian Science Plaza is nice. Well, it's Brutalist and it's very well done. The Salk Institute near San Diego may be the best example of Brutalism done right.

Still, Boston has a sour taste for modern architecture because of blunders like City Hall Plaza. That's why we don't have much like Seattle's Library or the EMP Museum. MIT is notable for being a little bolder (Frank Gehry, who designed Seattle's EMP Museum is the architect of MIT's Stata Center). But no, you won't find that Boston has much outstanding modern architecture. I'd love a good Koolhaas or Caltrava somewhere in Boston, but I'll have to wait. The Zakim Bridge provides a nice modern look to the city skyline, though.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:00 AM

325 posts, read 486,410 times
The problem with City Hall isn't the architecture IMO, it's the fact that they decimated a very lively portion of Boston, Scollay Square with a bland superblock.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:32 AM

613 posts, read 2,306,691 times
City Hall Plaza is pretty ugly, IMO. It just stands out so much from the surrounding area. I'm not a fan of Brutalism though. The Christian Science Center is an exception. They did a great job with that.

To the OP, you have some great examples here of modern architecture in Boston (Zakim Bridge, the new ICA and the Hancock Tower especially) pointed out here. So you're right, we have a "sprinkling" of the style, but Boston isn't a showcase city for it.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:51 AM

40 posts, read 109,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Brutalism did a lot to sort of turn people against bold, modern architecture. The shame of it is that the architecture isn't so much of a problem; the development style and maintenance (or lack thereof) is.

When you say "Brutalism" in Boston, people instantly think of City Hall. It's the most famous one in the city. It's not the prettiest building on earth, but the real problem is the development of/around it. For one, in order to build City Hall, the city had to demolish a bustling, dense, urban (although lower income) neighborhood. That was a bad omen before development even started. Then, the city built City Hall and surrounded it with a barren, brick plaza. It's a horrible place. In the winter it feels like Red Square in Moscow during WWII... windswept and frigid and devoid of happiness (I don't think I'm exaggerating). In the summer, it's still fairly lifeless and devoid of any green or inviting spaces to relax. The building is the least of the problems. The real flaw with City Hall is that instead of opening up the ground level to retail, cafes, etc. They've closed it off. It's a monolith. Instead of keeping the exterior and interior clean and up to date, it's been left to decay and be covered in a layer of grime.

If it were kept clean with some interior and minor exterior updating, the building wouldn't be bad. The plaza would still suck, however. Brutalism gets a bad name in Boston because of City Hall (and some others like the nearby Hurley Building). However, there are examples out there of how it works well. Most Bostonians would agree that the Christian Science Plaza is nice. Well, it's Brutalist and it's very well done. The Salk Institute near San Diego may be the best example of Brutalism done right.

Still, Boston has a sour taste for modern architecture because of blunders like City Hall Plaza. That's why we don't have much like Seattle's Library or the EMP Museum. MIT is notable for being a little bolder (Frank Gehry, who designed Seattle's EMP Museum is the architect of MIT's Stata Center). But no, you won't find that Boston has much outstanding modern architecture. I'd love a good Koolhaas or Caltrava somewhere in Boston, but I'll have to wait. The Zakim Bridge provides a nice modern look to the city skyline, though.
So, one Epic later... No, there's not a lot here for the OP?
Joking...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston