Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 03:46 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Maturity and class go a long way. Something the OP sorely lacks.
Maybe, but it sounds like s/he is actually in a bit of tight spot and moving all the way across the country is hard. Giving some kind of pointers (even as simple as a diverse selection of good eateries) would probably be more helpful.

Boston really does have some faults though. Right? For a city where driving is so inconvenient, its mass transit is kind of lacking (good for the US, but that's a pretty low bar to set).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 03:51 PM

14,480 posts, read 11,275,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Ah, my facts were off by a few decades. :P Watertown was one of the first stops in the migration pathway, but it looks like LA became a secondary point that has grown. That said, the Armenian population in the greater LA area is over 400,000 - the entirety of Boston is 630,000. You can't compare LA's ethnic enclaves to Boston when LA proper is larger than the entire Boston metro.
Don't bother charolastra, that wasn't the point of your comment and the person who responded to you did so rudely.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:53 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,587,448 times
Come on down to Rhode Island and commute rail to Boston.
Have you checked it out ?

Old 01-23-2013, 09:00 PM

93 posts, read 264,993 times
Three buses and a train, costing $11.25, to get from Newton to Somerville? No matter how you slice it, that cannot be accurate. If are taking MBTA buses and a subway line, you should be able to do the entire trip for the $2 base fare.

Even if you are taking the commuter rail, the furthest out zone that Newton has is Zone 2, which is $6. Add the $2 for subway/buses from South Station to Somerville and that would still only be $8. But it doesn't sound like you are taking the commuter rail, because that would require at least 2 trains total.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:43 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyyouknow View Post
So I came here from Los Angeles kicking & screaming due to my spouse's job. Obviously the weather isn't going to sit well with me. My experience has been long and brutal winters, a non-existent spring (mostly rain), humid summers that warrant 2 showers a day with the beauty of the tropics. Fall is so-so but living for fall seems sad.

We actually live in Newton which is 80% white and have had more than enough racist encounters.
^^^ The bolded part suggests that the OP was against the move even before they started packing for the move. And it also makes me think that she threw several (childish) tantrums because she had no say in the matter. So I don't even think that she's given Boston a fair shake. Obviously, Boston is not at all like Los Angeles, but she could have found some aspects of the area to like.

Otherwise, I am curious as to what racist encounters she's had in Newton. Maybe the city (which is also my city) is 80% white, but we do have a black mayor and a Democratic majority with our voters. And we are very accepting of gay and lesbian couples. I just don't understand where she is finding racism in Newton.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:36 PM

23,569 posts, read 18,672,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I just don't understand where she is finding racism in Newton.
Don't know, but this sounds suspiciously similar to a poster from a while back (who also moved here from L.A. to then return), who rambled on and on about Boston's racism and lack of diversity in certain things. Even after being back in L.A., he/she wouldn't shut up about how awful Boston is. I've been trying to find those old threads, but cannot. Maybe they were deleted.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:21 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,275,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Maybe, but it sounds like s/he is actually in a bit of tight spot and moving all the way across the country is hard. Giving some kind of pointers (even as simple as a diverse selection of good eateries) would probably be more helpful.

Boston really does have some faults though. Right? For a city where driving is so inconvenient, its mass transit is kind of lacking (good for the US, but that's a pretty low bar to set).
I agree, I just don't appreciate drive-by posters. She/he hasn't been back since the original post.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:39 AM

325 posts, read 486,463 times
So leave. What do you want us to do about it?

Most of us would probably hate Los Angeles.

I wouldn't make a post in the Los Angeles forum about how much I hate LA.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:57 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
Maybe the OP could help her situation if she could work on her own career and be the main breadwinner in her family. Then they wouldn't have to move based on her husband's job. If she'd had a real career in Los Angeles, then her husband wouldn't have had to take the work location transfer.

Having to move because of a husband's career is the price a wife pays for not having an serious career path herself or being a stay-at-home mom.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:43 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,750,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Maybe the OP could help her situation if she could work on her own career and be the main breadwinner in her family. Then they wouldn't have to move based on her husband's job. If she'd had a real career in Los Angeles, then her husband wouldn't have had to take the work location transfer.

Having to move because of a husband's career is the price a wife pays for not having an serious career path herself or being a stay-at-home mom.
It is true. But if both parties are too career oriented, sometimes there is no solution but divorce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston