Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2020, 02:55 PM

5,023 posts, read 2,603,630 times

Advertisements

There are definitely more laid-back cities than Boston, but what I want to know is who are all these Brahmins who actually have any influence on this town anymore? Besides John Forbes Kerry, that is. Most of the Brahmin descendants remain in the shadows, dabbling in philanthropic and cultural interests. They certainly aren't "running" things, as a group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2020, 03:45 PM

15,944 posts, read 7,883,366 times
I dont think there's many if any true Brahmins left. And the ones that are left most likely live in Beacon Hill or do not even live in Boston. They moved to Cohasset.

Old 12-09-2020, 03:54 PM

565 posts, read 465,451 times
"Most of the Brahmin descendants remain in the shadows, dabbling in philanthropic and cultural interests. They certainly aren't "running" things, as a group." That's for sure, lol. I'm a direct descendant of Thomas Dudley. My people went west in the first half of the 19th century.

Old 12-09-2020, 04:00 PM

6,790 posts, read 5,978,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
everyone is somewhat of a transplant.
Mmm. You won't run into too much cultural turbulence in a place without much local culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
What is the M word?
Mass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I dont think there's many if any true Brahmins left. And the ones that are left most likely live in Beacon Hill or do not even live in Boston. They moved to Cohasset.
I think a lot of wealthy immigrants to Boston tend to adopt the Brahmin culture. In the context of the other conversation, I'd describe that culture as a bit snooty/exclusive, pseudo-intellectual, "refined", holier-than-thou, naturalistic, etc. I've met plenty of 1st/2nd gen people who act like that; not necessarily direct descendants of Cabots and Lowells.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 12-09-2020 at 04:09 PM..

Old 12-09-2020, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Mmm. You won't run into too much cultural turbulence in a place without much local culture.

Mass hole

I think a lot of wealthy immigrants to Boston tend to adopt the Brahmin culture. In the context of the other conversation, I'd describe that culture as a bit snooty/exclusive, pseudo-intellectual, "refined", holier-than-thou, naturalistic, etc. I've met plenty of 1st/2nd gen people who act like that; not necessarily direct descendants of Cabots and Lowells.

I think that greatly depends on which wealthy immigrants you are referring to. As for the phrases holier than thou and pseudo-intellectual, they could describe numerous people in Boston in recent times. My experience has been that the snootiest of the lot are usually the nouveau riche, rather than those from old money. Many of the Brahmin descendants of more recent days have shown themselves to be quite down to earth and open minded in a number of ways. Many have also been quite willing to open their checkbooks to the needy.

Old 12-09-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsheamountain View Post
"Most of the Brahmin descendants remain in the shadows, dabbling in philanthropic and cultural interests. They certainly aren't "running" things, as a group." That's for sure, lol. I'm a direct descendant of Thomas Dudley. My people went west in the first half of the 19th century.

Interesting. West, as in the West coast?

Old 12-09-2020, 07:15 PM

565 posts, read 465,451 times
Following the frontier as it moved westward.

Old 12-10-2020, 04:21 AM

Ah, they got out early.

Old 12-10-2020, 07:55 AM

21,466 posts, read 12,563,956 times
The Brahmins and those like then (broadly WASP) still run many philanthropic organizations and think tank threat signify influence the thinking, ethos and culture of Boston. A lot of different groups have pier in different arenas in Boston but within the city itself it’s

Irish American(politics, unions, state and city jobs, culturally). Goes without saying.

WASP-hey’ve got the money and the big cultural/ academic organizations and access and ownership of to the best real estate.

‘Black’ (primarily Black American on a political/organizational level, Haitian/West Indian on the ground/culturally). Outsized influence in the school on every level, the dominant inner city group. Well represented politically and in the police/courts. The main agitator group that can really push issues better than any other minority. When you add in Latinos to this as is normally the case here-it’s a huge population bloc.

Students/International folks (could be tied with blacks) They are important to the marketing of Boston and the expansion of our economic growth. They’re a bit regulated to the far edges of the actual city though. Not big voters and kind of never really get what they want (more entertainment, cheaper rents, a progressive mayor). No presence in much of the city’s southern and eastern portion.

Yuppies - development is geared towards them but that’s more beneficial to the Irish, yuppies don’t stay long enough or vote enough to have real power. They’re too one foot in the door one foot out the door. Grass is greener types.

Old 12-10-2020, 08:49 AM

15,944 posts, read 7,883,366 times
I disagree with your outlook on the Irish. A little dated there. They aren't just doing union, state and city jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston