Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Most Bostians Happy/Optimistic or Depressed/Pessimistic About Their City?
Happy/Optimistic 17 62.96%
Depressed/Pessimistic 9 33.33%
It's Hard to Say (Please Explain Below) 1 3.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 03:01 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm investigating a city to relocate to in the upcoming years, and I was just trying to get a gauge of what Bostonians truly felt about their city. I currently live in Scranton, PA, a city that I think is making a great urban recovery as of late, yet the abundant negativity, whining, and pessimism is forcing me to ponder moving to a place where people are less miserable. Boston is a city that has long intrigued me as a relocation destination, and I've visited Beantown on several occasions. I enjoyed utilizing the "T", walking the Freedom Trail, and walking around both Downtown and the Back Bay. Visiting Plymouth and The Cape (especially Provincetown) was a lot of fun, as was Salem. I'm a city guy by nature---I'd love to live in an urban neighborhood where driving would be a rare occurrence. Me and my partner will likely be netting over $100,000 combined in the future as a CPA and salon owner, respectively, so I'm not very concerned about the high cost-of-living in the city.

Overall, would you say more people in Boston have an optimistic, happy outlook on the future of their city or a pessimistic, depressing outlook on the city? The level of civic pride a city's residents possess for it is one of my primary deciding factors in making a relocation decision.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 07:35 AM

415 posts, read 1,666,293 times
A good guage of this is how well people take care of their property. When you walk around Beacon Hill you see no garbage, well kept up brownstones, and active commerce. When you walk down Blue Hill Ave, you see panhandlers, burned out victorians, and trash everywhere. Boston is a big area w/ many distinct areas.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:38 AM

345 posts, read 1,578,418 times
I think you would love Boston!! There are a variety of places that have the "feel" you are looking for .. let me know if you would like any "insider's tips" on certain locations.

btw i tried to dm you but your mailbox is full and you have to empty it before i/we can send a dm...

Old 10-25-2007, 08:50 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
If you're talking about Boston proper, then I think most people are happy as long as they can afford it. This usually applies to the yuppies and young married professionals, which you guys are. But once you have kids, everything changes. Are you willing to send them to Boston Public Schools, or are you going to go private, or move to the suburbs? This is where you'll start getting a lot of mixed opinions, with most saying they would rather move out of state.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:43 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Tough question because if you ask most people about their specific city they are not going to respond negatively about it.

If you really like the city and want a change of pace then move here. Overall i would say the general mood in Boston is mixed. There is a negative MA attitude, but many people are still optimistic and positive.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:41 PM

188 posts, read 989,337 times
Boston has a good reputation for good reasons. The parts of Boston that aren't so nice (Dorchester, Hyde Park, etc) you probably won't find yourself needing to go to very often, let alone wanting to live in.

Overall, yes. Boston is a great place to live. Especially if you're child-less, or a high income earner who can afford it. Don't brush off the burbs though! There are plenty of good options with walkable downtowns, excellent education systems, and low crime.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:46 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Doesn't Mayor Menino live in Hyde Park? I guess Readville is much nicer than the rest of Hyde Park -- I've never been there though.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:02 PM

646 posts, read 1,787,892 times
Right now the mood is very good in Boston - the Red Sox are up 2-0 in the World Series!!! :-)

Old 10-27-2007, 06:45 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,487,245 times
Happiness... a state of mind... only you can control it.

Usually, if you feel you are better or ahead of your peers... you will be happy.

With the credit crunch... foreclosure... layoffs...there are lots of sad people.

On the other hand... if you can score a playoff Red Sox ticket... you'll be happy but if you don't ... you may be sad...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston