Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 10:13 PM

30,702 posts, read 79,387,296 times

Advertisements

Wayland - if you have the money.

Concord if you are rich and liberal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 10:45 AM

2 posts, read 5,245 times
smarty -

I moved from L.A.

Using the term "dump" was maybe a little strong. I think if I lived in Boston with the city and the T just footsteps away, that would be great. Of course if my two labs needed to go to the bathroom, I'm not sure what the protocol is there. I'm use to having a backyard.

Being from CA, I love my car. I like the idea of getting into my car, driving, and getting out of my car at my destination and being able to park without some astronomical parking fee, like there is in downtown Boston.
I'm use to having things spread out. If I want snow, I drive to the mountains. If I want the beach, I drive to Santa Monica or Redondo Beach. If I want dry heat, I drive to Palm Springs. Every weather climate is there, it's just not at my front door, which is a good thing.

I will say I do like Boston because of its music culture - I like the BSO...one of the greatest orchestras around!

Old 12-24-2007, 02:17 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,462,639 times
There is no perfect city...

When compare to LA... parking is expensive... however, parking is cheap compare to NYC or SF. Boston is really a walking city. If you do not need a car, don't have one. It is tough for someone from LA.

It is obvious that you don't need to commute much. One of the biggest complaint from folks in LA is the traffic jam. To some, loving your car does not mean 2-3 hours in the car a day.

As you mention, I rather have snow in the mountains only... and not in my back yard. However, there is no perfect city...

I wish you the best ... whereever you choose your home..

Old 12-24-2007, 03:50 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,636,826 times
you could check out norwell, and kingston the cost might be somewhat cheaper.
braintree is also near quincy.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:45 PM

9 posts, read 37,278 times
Default Update.....

I have a for sure job offer in Andover, and another possible one in Boston. Both jobs start March 3rd. I would prefer to take the one in Boston, the pay is little better. However, I’m still working with a tight budget and I’ve figured that if I work in the city I’ll have no choice but to live about 30 or 45 min away for the purpose of finding cheaper rent. I need to know where I can live and take the bus, or train into the city w/ out having to drive my car. That would be more of headache seems to me and I really don’t want to drive. I’ve been looking at north of Boston’s coast up near Lynn and those surrounding areas. So far craigslist has been a big help for finding apartments w/ pictures and cheaper rent that is mostly w/ in these areas. I need you guys help. I really want to find something that is in spot that would be a pretty easy train or bus ride into the city and I need Worcester’s cost of living keep in mind. Please help if you can, I’ll keep looking in the meantime.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:21 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,462,639 times
Check out Malden... an option with easier access to Boston... relatively low rent (not sure if it is Worcester price)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston