Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 06:42 PM

387 posts, read 1,045,397 times

Advertisements

Hi, we just purchased tickets to the Pops at Symphony Hall in June. We're looking at staying at Custom House on the harbor, and we're thinking about our transportation options. We are flying in. We are staying for 2 nights and then heading down to Nantucket.

Hotel does not offer shuttle service from the airport. Charges $40 a day to park. We are a bit nervous about driving in Boston but will need a car to get down to Hyannis for the ferry, obviously.

If we instead 1) took a taxi from the airport to the hotel, 2) taxi to/from BSO, would that be cheaper than paying $80 to the hotel to park our car?

And if we did that, would it be possible to get a rental car delivered to the hotel for the drive down to Hyannis? Or is there some other transportation option (bus) that could get us from the area of our hotel down to the ferry and back up the airport at the end of our stay?

Do you think a rental car is still our best option?

Oh, and one last question about attire for the Pops concert. Formal or just dressy? Since we're flying, I don't think our ball gowns and tuxes would pack neatly.

Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 07:14 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,797,919 times
You can take mass transit to Symphony Hall if you want. It's on the E branch of the Green line and is not that long of a trip from the hotel. That would be very cheap round trip.

You won't need a car for the most part if you're going to do stuff right in the city. You can either walk, or take the T to pretty much anywhere. If I were you, I would either take a cab from Logan to the hotel, or take the Blue Line. The Aquarium stop on the blue line is right next door I believe. It has pretty quick service to Logan.

I would take a cab or transit to the hotel and to get around the city while your up here and then get a rental car that way you're not paying the parking at the hotel, plus the rental fees when you won't need one to get around.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:21 PM

Do people get on the subway in their dressy clothes to go to the Symphony?

Old 02-05-2013, 01:13 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
A cab to Custom House Msrriott near Faneuil Hall is about $22-$25 including the $7.50 toll and fees, depending on traffic. Up to four passengers are allowed to ride for the one price. A cab to Symphony Hall from the hotel might be $11-$15 each way?

The Plymouth & Brockton bus goes from nearby South Station to Hyannis. It's about $35 roundtrip (?) per person with a couple stops, if I recall. Not sure how close the bus station is to the ferry terminal.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:01 AM

546 posts, read 1,376,140 times
Goldenncmom, you have this figured out pretty well. Dressy would be a good choice considering the travel, cabs will get you where you need to go in the city and less hassle than a rental vehicle. For the trip to Nantucket and other areas outside the city, rental is a great option. Enterprise (I use alot for work) will pick you up as they say in the ads and they have a drop off at the Airport when you are done. I higly recomend an extra few bucks for the mini vans to accomodate luggage et al.

Staying in the custom house, how cool is that LOL. I used to work in the area when it first opened up to the public. That is one cool old building with a lot of history.

Hope Boston is good to you.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:07 AM

Thanks, guys.

Is there is a T route from the airport to somewhere near the hotel? If so, we may take that vs. a taxi, unless we would look like dorks with our rolling luggage on the T.

Would my husband need a jacket and tie for the symphony? Or would slacks and a button down be sufficient?

Old 02-05-2013, 07:42 AM

289 posts, read 567,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenncmom View Post
Thanks, guys.

Is there is a T route from the airport to somewhere near the hotel? If so, we may take that vs. a taxi, unless we would look like dorks with our rolling luggage on the T.

Would my husband need a jacket and tie for the symphony? Or would slacks and a button down be sufficient?

Symphony I do dress casual, usually. Pops is casual all the way.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:08 AM

643 posts, read 1,037,342 times
You could take a shuttle from the airport to the Blue line and get off at the Aquarium stop. I always bring my luggage on the T and see plenty of others doing so as well. I would say the only issue is if it is during rush hour and the trains will be very full so you will be squeezed.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:13 AM

289 posts, read 567,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbarney View Post
Symphony I do dress casual, usually. Pops is casual all the way.

I should add that I'm a balcony person. The folks on the floor (for the symphony) tend to be a bit more "polished," shall I say. And the same is true for the Holiday Pops.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:46 AM

40 posts, read 109,327 times
A cab to the hotel is going to be around $20 give or take.
You can take the silver line (bus) into south station and transfer or you are pretty close to where you're going anyway.

There are car rental places downtown that you could even walk to. One near government center off the top of my head.

The green line will take you to the show.

Maybe a little walking involved but not a lot. Boston's not too hard to get around for what you are doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston