Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,702 times

Advertisements

I recently started a new job in Boston and have been doing the awful commute each day from Providence, RI. My fiance and I are looking to move but, unfortunately, we don't have time to look through Craigslist ads every day...nor do I trust Craigslist. My knowledge of Boston is essentially the 1993 version of the city...Dorchester is dangerous, Jamaica Plain is scary at night, and South Boston has a lot of problems. Obviously, as I have learned, this isn't necessarily true (although Dorchester is more or less the same). In learning more about the city from the people I work with, I have come to the realization I have no clue about the neighborhoods and surrounding cities of Boston.

There are some more problems that have occured in our search...
She is from NYC, specifically Manhattan. She hates Providence...can't walk anywhere from where we live, not much to do, and difficulty making friends...but she moved there for me so she puts up with it. This has pushed our search to the city and surrounding areas, 30 minutes or less via public transportation into the heart of the city is okay, but being within walking distance is better. She will be without vehicle.
We have a cat...I'm surprised how many places are not pet-friendly.
We are used to a certain quality of life. We both were poor college kids and grads, but we haven't been in that situation for a few years...we pay $500/month for a 2 bedroom, 750 square foot condo in a nice area. We both know that isn't remotely possible in Boston, but it's just for an idea of where we are coming from.
Our combined take home income is $6000/month right now, and most of that is my income. We are hoping she finds something that pays better in the city, so that could jump to $7000/month. I have student loans, she does not. Our sweet spot for rent is $1500/month...but could go higher for the right place.
The place must have 1 off-street parking space. Non-negotiable. I have to drive to work and my commute will change each year. Currently, I am working at the airport. Next year, I could be working in Salem or Franklin or who knows...it will be Boston area though as that's the nature of my job.
Also goes without saying, but the area must be safe, especially at night. She will be walking around a lot and home from the T-stop or whatever public transportation she takes.

Probably sounds pretty easy right? Yet, for some unknown reason we can't find something that fits the above criteria. We have tried using real estate agents...but they are either completely unresponsive or push us in directions that we don't want to go...such as why not rent a place for $2800/month or buy a home in Concord, etc. Add everything together and, in my opinion, we have a recipe for disaster...especially since we have no clue about the various areas and neighborhoods of Boston.

Any advice on where to look location wise or who to contact about helping find a place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 06:07 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
I used craigslist. I'm still alive.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:00 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,079,863 times
Maybe take a look at MBTA > Winter Weather Information > Winter Weather Information This will give you an idea of some areas that are within 30 minutes of the city. Maybe you can spend a weekend or three checking out a few of those areas to get a feel for them. And then, when you narrow it down a bit, you can ask about more specific places.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:36 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,668,197 times
Hi. First, it's nice to read a post on these forums that - for a welcome change - discusses things in the world of reality. That is, your depiction of Providence is one I can fully recognize. I'm assuming that your fiance will not want to live in the suburbs, given what you've said, but I could be wrong.

The differences between greater Boston and greater Providence are legion, as you've suggested you already know. So, unlike RI, you could live in one of the older, established suburbs like Watertown, Belmont, or Brookline (just examples) and get a lot of what you're looking for - good access to quality housing, mass transit and a very walkable environment (including lots of shopping options).

You didn't mention in what part of the city you work so, without that info, it's hard to make definitive recommendations. That said, you could also live in town, in Jamaica Plain, Roslindale, or West Roxbury and get much of what you're looking for (though getting a good apartment in JP at that price point is going to be tough).

You should look at agents in Boston, like Sotheby's Gibson in the South End or Prudential in Jamaica Plain. Trust me, I am NOT in the industry, so I have no horse in this race. I just know friends who've had great luck with both of them when looking for an apartment. Best of luck with the search!

Last edited by rranger; 02-08-2013 at 06:45 AM..

Old 03-13-2013, 01:36 PM

109 posts, read 329,633 times
Given the uncertainty with where you might be working, it seems like situating yourself near where the Pike and 128 intersect would give you the most flexibility. Watertown, Waltham, Natick and Wellesley will give you great location--South Natick and Hopkinton a little further out offer beautiful homes that are still in reach of the city. All of these have cute downtown areas and a lot to offer.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:42 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,544,526 times
Have you looked into Dedham, MA? I believe they have the T into Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston