Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 10:14 AM

4 posts, read 5,267 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone - my husband and I just moved here 2 weeks ago (job relocation). We love it so far.

So after a storm like this, how long does it take for the city to be up and running again - i.e. when should the T start up again? Will stores, restaurants and bars be open later today?

I am already going stir crazy from being stuck inside (and out of wine).

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 11:55 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow127 View Post
I am already going stir crazy from being stuck inside (and out of wine).
Haha, that was the one thing we stocked up on Wednesday night. Still have half about a liter to go, so we're ok for now. Send out a rescue party if the liquor stores don't open tomorrow, though!

The travel ban is lifted after 4PM Saturday, so I'd guess some stores will try to open Sunday. The sun's coming out. Go out, dig out your car if you have one, walk around a little bit, then go back inside and warm up with some hot chocolate and whatever hard liquor you might have.

So, I dislike Boston during the 9 frozen months of the year, but I liked this snowstorm. I know I'm going to hate it for the next 2-3 weeks as it sloppily melts and makes life miserable, though.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:51 PM

546 posts, read 1,376,278 times
Welcome to Boston Rainbow127,

Storms? Bring it on, Traffic? Bring it on, Got no wine? RUT ROE LOL,

Hope we are good to you. You are a stranger here but once.

As for Boston being up and running, they do a good job here as well as the State. This was an unusual one. I think my shoulders are so strong from shoveling.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:31 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,165,755 times
How the beep can they reopen Logan without even skeletal MBTA service? What a joke.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:30 AM

5,788 posts, read 5,101,059 times
"So, I dislike Boston during the 9 frozen months of the year, but I liked this snowstorm. I know I'm going to hate it for the next 2-3 weeks as it sloppily melts and makes life miserable, though"...

Yes, the most hated aspect of life in and around Boston is the snow and the miserable winters. But we are a hardy bunch.

When I was digging through three feet of snow (Quincy got three, and seems like my driveway got something close to 5 with the drifts) and slowing working our way toward the street and the huge wall of harden snow/ice pushed up by the plow blocking us in......I just kept thinking about the various models of snow blowers that I WILL ge this summer, the brand of electric generator that I will get this summer...and all the water that my beautiful magnolia trees will have when all this snow starts to melt, and the beautiful spring flowers on these trees that will greet me when I drive my car through the driveway just 1.5 months from now!!!!!! When you shovel, just put on ear plugs with your favorite songs, and keep shoveling. It will end, like all Boston winters always do and the magnolias will be waiting at the other end.

Commonwealth and Marlborough Street in Boston have the best displays of magnolias....check them out at the end of March and into April and welcome to Boston!

Old 02-10-2013, 05:16 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
The T should be up and running on Monday. It's the weekend, so why not keep the streets clear so that the plows can widen them? And it makes perfect sense to keep the T buses off the road on a Sunday since most people don't work today. Otherwise, walking around is a good option because as a whole, we're overweight and need the exercise!!!

Old 02-10-2013, 08:22 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
I think it's absurd there's not even limited bus/subway service by now. Lots of service-industry people having to take cabs to get to work today.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:54 AM

4 posts, read 5,267 times
Thanks everyone. I really hope the T is running tomorrow. I'm counting on it to get to work!

Old 02-10-2013, 12:12 PM

4,620 posts, read 4,887,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Yes, the most hated aspect of life in and around Boston is the snow and the miserable winters. But we are a hardy bunch.
You must not have to drive lol

Old 02-10-2013, 12:30 PM

5,788 posts, read 5,101,059 times
Yes I do drive. But I work only 8 minutes away from my house, so the commute is not bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston