Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2019, 02:18 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Doesn't hurt me either, I usually laugh it off along with the Patriots hating and thinking (insert Ben Affleck movie) is the real Boston. I don't think most are that ignorant though (exception being the football thing). Sure Boston has had that stereotype, but when you break it down what city is really any better? Does L.A. not have that reputation/history also? NYC? Chicago??? Does Birmingham, AL shine over us as a model for racial harmony? PLEASE.
several commenters on this article about a writers opinion on racism being mostly gone have mentioned that boston so racist so go figure:
https://www.theroot.com/martin-luthe...non-1831910328

no commenters said anything about chicago being racist in this article about the hate-crime attempted murder of this actor (in fact many have mentioned that chicago is not m.a.g.a. country implying that the attackers are non-chicagoans):
https://thegrapevine.theroot.com/jus...oll-1832158963

no one commenting that detroit is racist eventhough a racist detroit cop uses his cellular tele-fone to record his ridiculing a black woman after confiscating her car because of a minor traffic violation forcing her to walk home during the polar vortex:
https://www.theroot.com/what-black-g...-wo-1832267738

most persons have a fantasy that especially n.y.c. is a racial utopia.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 02-02-2019 at 02:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 02:20 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,279,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
321 million people in America, just under 5 million white people in MA. 316 million others who see the delusion.
Well I don't have any stats to back that up. But as an outsider, I can confirm based on anecdote Boston does have a reputation for being somewhat racist (especially in the white-black dynamic) and provincial. Although, there is some debate about how fair this reputation is relative to American cities in general. Is Boston objectively more racist than other major cities, especially the big rust-belt cities (Cleveland, Milwaukee, Detroit, St. Louis)?

Perhaps its an outgrowth of being the whitest/least black of the major legacy urban cities? It has the historical racial legacy of the eastern cities without ever having a sizable enough AA population to wield political power like in Philly, Chi?

Old 02-02-2019, 02:25 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Well I don't have any stats to back that up. But as an outsider, I can confirm based on anecdote Boston does have a reputation for being somewhat racist (especially in the white-black dynamic) and provincial. Although, there is some debate about how fair this reputation is relative to American cities in general. Is Boston objectively more racist than other major cities, especially the big rust-belt cities (Cleveland, Milwaukee, Detroit, St. Louis)?

Perhaps its an outgrowth of being the whitest/least black of the major legacy urban cities? It has the historical racial legacy of the eastern cities without ever having a sizable enough AA population to wield political power like in Philly, Chi?
[i'm haitian-american]
surprise, but according to city-data.com, boston actually has a higher black percentage than n.y.c. (including haitians, cap-verdeans, black dominicans, black brazilians, ...)

boston is not special but far from racial harmony. its just another red-lined northeastern/mid-atlantic/midwest/florida city in that regard. not really sure why the country likes to exaggerate boston as being the butt of racist stereotypes moreso than the rest ?

Old 02-02-2019, 02:53 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post

But it’s not Boston is 25% black and 44% white. Blacker than virtually every Western city, blacker than NYC t this point. It’s erroneous

Old 02-02-2019, 02:57 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Doesn't hurt me either, I usually laugh it off along with the Patriots hating and thinking (insert Ben Affleck movie) is the real Boston. I don't think most are that ignorant though (exception being the football thing). Sure Boston has had that stereotype, but when you break it down what city is really any better? Does L.A. not have that reputation/history also? NYC? Chicago??? Does Birmingham, AL shine over us as a model for racial harmony? PLEASE.
It’s the reason people like JP think Boston is the whitest and leatst black city when it’s literally the 6th most diverse city in the country. The more is little black representation, huge economic inequalities, and staggering segregation. White people think that’s how it is everywhere but it isn’t. It leads to misconception ignorance and exclusion. But the white population in MA doesn’t think that matters when in fact it does.

Chicago LA NYC have much more robust Black middle classes and more economic pppurtunity and have all had black mayors, celebrities etc.

The fact that we have to sit in this board and has this out to the same people every couple of months is mind boggling. Willful ignorance and blind denial is rampant.

Old 02-02-2019, 03:07 PM

32 posts, read 20,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
[i'm haitian-american]
surprise, but according to city-data.com, boston actually has a higher black percentage than n.y.c. (including haitians, cap-verdeans, black dominicans, black brazilians, ...)

boston is not special but far from racial harmony. its just another northeastern/midwest/florida city in that regard. not really sure why the country likes to exaggerate boston as being the butt of racist stereotypes moreso than the rest ?
I think it might be because Boston is quite arrogant nationally in proclaiming how liberal, progressive and accepting of diversity it IS. When many of its residents from there are in truth not. It's hypocritical. The state does not want that to be the headline, though, so they ignore the issues. But look at how racially segregated is - wealthier towns have virtually zero blacks. So few that the state had to pass a law to only get blacks to attend schools in those cities (to benefit the white students, mind you). And 50 years later, nothing has changed. METCO still exists, and the black population actually living within METCO towns is virtually zero. Why?

Percentage of Black residents:
Wellesley - 3%
Newton - 3.5%
Weston - .05%
Needham - 1.4%

But let's even look at some non-wealthy metro west or outer suburbs...

Waltham - 5.65%
Watertown - 1.76% (this one surprised even me)
Harvard (town) - 4.0%
Leominster - 3.8%

And metro cities that bill themselves as uber-liberal and progressive:
Cambridge - 11%
Brookline - 3.3%
Amherst (western MA) - 4% home of U Mass

But here:

Dorchester - 43.5%
Roxbury - 61.65%
Brockton - 39.5%
Springfield - 22%
These are the cities that also are known to have extensive crime and public services issues.

These numbers may not be all that different from some other states, but the fact that blue Massachusetts residents scoff loudly at the possibility their state has a very obviously racist configuration, and it's progressive leaders have been absent in addressing it - that's troubling.

Old 02-02-2019, 03:10 PM

18,705 posts, read 33,372,489 times
Quote:
boston is not special but far from racial harmony. its just another red-lined northeastern/mid-atlantic/midwest/florida city in that regard. not really sure why the country likes to exaggerate boston as being the butt of racist stereotypes moreso than the rest ?
Could be the remaining images of Theodore Landsmark trying to impale a black person on a rolled-up American flag at City Hall in 1975, the national stories about violence around busing. I moved to the Boston area in 1974 from south Jersey and these things stood out. Oh, and there was that Charles Stuart thing in 1989, I think it was, when Stuart apparently shot his pregnant wife (or had his brother do it), claimed a black man had done it when robbing them, and police took over the Mission Hill neighborhood and dragging black men out as suspects. The front-page news said stuff like "A shining life cut short" and there were hyperbolic articles about the supposed event. (For those who don't remember, Stuart killed himself a couple of months later, jumping off, I think, the Tobin Bridge.)

His brother also killed himself some years later after being hospitalized multiple times for drug abuse and depression. No one ever officially said what had happened, but this one ugly case of domestic violence became a national racial headline.

Old 02-02-2019, 03:59 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,279,917 times
Quote:
[i'm haitian-american]

Sorry, I should clarify..I meant it has a smaller AA population (as well as smaller black to white pop ratio) than other dense eastern legacy cities: Philly, Chi, DC. While its basically on par with NYC, NYC is less white than Boston. Plus, its a much larger city which allows opportunities for African-American DAs, Congresspeople, Borough Presidents, business/nonprofit leaders.

Also, at the MSA level Boston's AA population is fairly small. On percentage basis, Boston's metro has the smallest AA population of any major city outside the west. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...an_populations

I do get your point and that is what I was trying (in a jumbled way). Boston maybe racist, but I'm not sure how it compares to other peer cities? Is it more racist like its reputation suggests or basically in the middle of the pack (with the low bar) of other eastern cities.

Old 02-02-2019, 05:42 PM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Massachusetts recently had a black governor. Boston now has a black congresswoman. Boston has yet to elect a black mayor, but Newton had one for quite a while. How is NYC ahead of us in that regard?

Old 02-02-2019, 05:57 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,694,419 times
Quote:
Massachusetts recently had a black governor. Boston now has a black congresswoman. Boston has yet to elect a black mayor, but Newton had one for quite a while. How is NYC ahead of us in that regard?
NYC had a black mayor in the 80's (Dinkins). It was an absolute disaster which paved the way to the Giuliani/Bloomberg era.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston