Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 07:26 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
So how are we high, exactly? Your babbling doesn't really ...
You seem to have all the answers. My only question is "how old are you?"

I used to know everything when I was 20. Dunno what happened ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 07:33 PM

6,807 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
You seem to have all the answers. My only question is "how old are you?"

I used to know everything when I was 20. Dunno what happened ...
Haha, it's true. I'm not an expert on the olymics.

Which is why I'm asking why everyone freaks out about the cost. Sochi, Russia will be hosting the next olymics. So I don't understand what Sochi has that Boston doesn't.

And what are the long lasting negative impacts of the Olympics, and why does a stadium have to be permanent?

I DON'T know the answers to these questions, which is why I've been asking.

What's wrong with the points I've been making? Why are the Olymics bad?

I honestly want to know why you're so against it, but I just want a detail or two!

Old 03-05-2013, 07:43 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post

Haha, it's true. I'm not an expert on the olymics.

Which is why I'm asking why everyone freaks out about the cost. Sochi, Russia will be hosting the next olymics. So I don't understand what Sochi has that Boston doesn't.

And what are the long lasting negative impacts of the Olympics, and why does a stadium have to be permanent?

I DON'T know the answers to these questions, which is why I'm asking.
What they have is the same thing as the Chinese have - a national government that wants to prove to the world how wonderful their country is by putting up a big expensive dog and pony show and don't give a dang that it is propped up squarely on the backs of their citizens. Again, if the federal government would pay for it all Bostonians *might* listen, but probably not. The reason Boston is so beautiful and well preserved is because Bostonians have historically prevented bad ideas from happening with a few glaring exceptions - the West End demolition most tragically.

And who in the world said "replace Harvard's Stadium"? Harvard is the EPITOME of establishment and they have the most beautiful historic stadium in the country! Oy Vey. Who writes this stuff?!

Now of course if you started talking about knocking down City Hall and building it there, well maybe people would get interested ...

Old 03-05-2013, 07:47 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,755,022 times
Quote:
What they have is the same thing as the Chinese have - a national government that wants to prove to the world how wonderful their country is by putting up a big expensive dog and pony show and don't give a dang that it is propped up squarely on the backs of their citizens. Again, if the federal government would pay for it all Bostonians *might* listen, but probably not. The reason Boston is so beautiful and well preserved is because Bostonians have historically prevented bad ideas from happening with a few glaring exceptions - the West End demolition most tragically.

And who in the world said "replace Harvard's Stadium"? Harvard is the EPITOME of establishment and they have the most beautiful historic stadium in the country! Oy Vey. Who writes this stuff?!

Now of course if you started talking about knocking down City Hall and building it there, well maybe people would get interested ...
However, Boston is truly behind many major cities in terms of infrastructure. It needs some improvement.
The Olympics may be a good chance.

Anyone who has been to Boston says this city looks too old (but not London, Paris or Beijing).

Old 03-05-2013, 07:50 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
I can only see this working in Southeastern Mass near Mansfield and Foxborough where there is more open space and ability to facilitate events. The Boston roads definitely could not support the additional traffic.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:38 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,171,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Anyone who has been to Boston says this city looks too old (but not London, Paris or Beijing).
Who says this, exactly?

Old 03-05-2013, 09:04 PM

6,807 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Thanks for the response!

That may be true for Sochi, but now what about London and Atlanta?

I agree with you about the West End. Its hard to contemplate how amazing that neighborhood would be if it had survived. But just because we prevent bad ideas doesn't mean we can't go along with good ones. If this Olymics thing meant throwing an olymic village on top of the North End, then I'd be strongly against it. But if good things can come from it, then I don't see why not.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:42 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by konfetka View Post
Why wouldn't the government pay for it, I would think it would bring more needed investment to the region. It might help speed up and upgrade infrastructure projects including public transit. Also it would bring more exposure to Boston, resulting in more tourist money and investment when it's over.
Boston doesn't need more attention or tourist money. We are already too desirable, which is why our real estate prices are so high compared to other areas of the country.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Boston doesn't need more attention or tourist money. We are already too desirable, which is why our real estate prices are so high compared to other areas of the country.
Making progress is the only way to prevent falling behind.

Housing is expensive just because of the huge number of students and a relatively dense population.
Compared to the west coast, however, the real estate price of Boston is not really high.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
Who says this, exactly?
You can simply search on this forum and I have seen quite a few people say that.
And it is true. Boston has an out-dated infrastructure, compared to other major cities in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston