Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 07:41 PM

24 posts, read 46,345 times

Advertisements

So I might possibly be taking a job at MGH, only problem is that it's a low-paying one (only around $38k per year) and I know that MGH is right downtown.

Clearly living within walking distance is out of the question (I would think).

Living far away and commuting in by driving doesn't seem like a great idea (doubt there's ample parking for an affordable rate).

Is there anything that would be within walking distance of public transport to MGH?

Or is living on that sort of salary anywhere near Boston simply not practical?

Also, I will point out that I STRONGLY prefer to live by myself without roommates. Just a personal preference, I've had some really bad experiences with the roommates I've been paired up with over the past year-and-a-half and right now I'm MUCH happier living by myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 08:44 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,691 times
Parking at MGH is not going to happen. I know multiple nurses there and they have said there's a waiting lit to get a spot in one of the garages on site. Hardly surprising given how many people work there and the influx of visitors on a daily basis. The nice thing is that at night, on holidays, and on the weekends people who have to work can park in the garages regardless of whether or not they have a spot.

It all will depend on how much you want to spend. I think you should look at areas that are on the red line, since the Charles/MGH stop is right outside the hospital.

Depending on how much you wish to spend, it may limit your options as far as finding a one bed. If you're really not into having a roommate, it will require you to spend a higher amount of your take home pay on rent. I personally would never, and have never paid more than 25% of my take home pay on rent, but to each his own in that regard.

Quincy would be a good option. Has multiple red line stops and is going to be cheaper than Cambridge and Somerville (the red line runs through parts of those cities) and South Boston (has 2 red line stops).

You certainly can live in the Boston area on that salary. It won't allow you to live like a king, but it certainly will not force you to live a life of poverty either. Having a roommate will certainly help as it will bring down the cost of rent. It will all come down to how you are as a person and the lifestyle you like.

The T should be your friend. My friends who work at MGH get discounted T passes which turn out to be an amazing deal when commuting to/from work as it saves on gas, parking and wear and tear on your car. I think with the recent fare hike, it's something like $50, or $52 after the discount per month. Well worth it.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:11 PM

113 posts, read 154,383 times
You might be able to find a really crappy and/or small studio in Cambridgeport (the part of Cambridge jutting out toward the Charles River) for about $1200/month (that's a guess - search Craigslist). It'd be a 10-15 minute walk to the Central Square Red Line stop, or to 65 Landsdowne St., where the MGH shuttle van stops (free to MGH staff, but the Red Line is a much better option). A crappy small place near Inman Square would also put you close enough to Central and/or Kendall to take the Red Line, and would probably run you a similar amount in rent. Likewise, somewhere near Porter might work, but your pickings will be just as slim. MGH subsidizes T passes by 50%, I think.

Mind you, $1200/month on a 38K salary is a bit high, but doable. I'd be a little uncomfortable with that rent.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:11 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,240,871 times
I would say it is not as good deal and if you can go higher or somewhere else you will be better off. COL is very high in Boston metro area. Rentals, utilities, food, heating, car and car insurance (if you need it) is high cost for very little that you get. Public transport is not as cheap on a monthly basis, unless MGH will pick tab (some companies do on a limited basis, up to certain value). Come only if you have no prior debt, and you can live very frugal lifestyle. But, typically, frugal lifestyle does include roommates. Also keep in mind that most landlords want first, last, and security deposit and you need to plan accordingly and have great credit as area is every competitive even in lower rental price brackets. I wish I can be more positive but better safe than sorry. Good luck.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:12 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Looks like the other posters before me have already covered most of what can be said for your situation. Your best bet is definitely stay somewhere on the red line and ditch your car. Quincy has multiple stops and is a good option. An alternative if you don't like the vibe down there (I personally don't like Quincy) would be Somerville, about 10-15 min walk from Porter Square.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:53 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
If you really love Boston, you need to reconsider living with at least one roommate. $1,200 rent on a 38K salary is not going to leave you with much.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:27 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,515,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fpraven88 View Post
So I might possibly be taking a job at MGH, only problem is that it's a low-paying one (only around $38k per year) and I know that MGH is right downtown.

Clearly living within walking distance is out of the question (I would think).

Living far away and commuting in by driving doesn't seem like a great idea (doubt there's ample parking for an affordable rate).

Is there anything that would be within walking distance of public transport to MGH?

Or is living on that sort of salary anywhere near Boston simply not practical?

Also, I will point out that I STRONGLY prefer to live by myself without roommates. Just a personal preference, I've had some really bad experiences with the roommates I've been paired up with over the past year-and-a-half and right now I'm MUCH happier living by myself.
What do you feel able to pay for rent?

Don't they have a housing listing at Human Resources?

Old 03-17-2013, 08:51 PM

24 posts, read 46,345 times
Might actually be getting a job in Quincy instead for around $41K per year.

Does this sound more do-able?

Old 03-18-2013, 07:42 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
That's a win-win. Higher pay and easier commute assuming it's close to one of the red line stations. I think $41k is very doable. The admin assistants at my office downtown (a financial instiution) start at $40-45k and all seem to have money leftover for going out and buying nice clothes (a generalization, I know), and they all live off the red line (one in Braintree, 2 in Southie).

Old 03-18-2013, 08:18 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
I work at MGH. We don't get a 50% discount off out Tpass but there is a discount, works out to be just over $20/month less than what you would normally pay. They also give people discounts for commuter rail travel. Yes, pkg will be expensive or time consuming or both. My dept director has a nice spot - but he's the director. My office mate has a nice spot but she's been here for over 45yrs so she's earned it. The waiting list for a nice spot is to long to even consider if you are not high up. One of the others I work with has a spot at the Charlestown location - she pays a bit over 200/month (garaged spot), drives in and then takes the shuttle to the main campus. It can be a time consuming and annoying commute (shuttle gets crowded in the am and pm commutes).

When considering where to work, know that MGH is a prestigious and high paced environment. Depending on what your field is, it could be a great move to be here for a few yrs or just a good one. It's never bad to have MGH on your resume. I've been here for 3 yrs and am very pleased. They know I have skills and ambitions so they are keeping me happy in order for me to stay. Lots of good projects, good exposure, great training and learning opportunities, great benefits, etc. Not that that'll be your experience if you come here but just FYI from someone on the inside. Oh, and make sure to consider the cost of health insurance and other benefits in the offers you get. MGH is usually pretty competative.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston