Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 09:27 PM

3,080 posts, read 11,028,615 times

Advertisements

I'm just trying to contrast MA and CA per the OP's request. I do like CA better, so you're going to see that in my posts. You can argue with me, or you can point out all the positives of Boston that I am overlooking.

Comparing winter sports: from San Francisco, the ski resorts of Lake Tahoe are about 3 hours away. From Boston, there is skiing and boarding much closer--in fact you can even take the train+bus in an hour or so to the nearest hill for $10, but the mountains are smaller, windier, colder and the snow is not the deep powder of the Sierras.

I'm sure you can go ice-skating, snow-shoeing, and cross-country skiing in many places outdoors in Boston in winter, which you certainly can't in San Francisco.

The OP asked about cultural differences. The biggest I've noticed is that Bostonians seem much more interested in cerebral pursuits, while SF is more of a outgoing party town. There is no transit service in Boston after midnight, like SF's OWL buses. The nightlife seems more bar-and-pub-oriented with fewer clubs. I do not get the same late-night streetside cafe vibe from the Italian North End compared to what you will find in SF's Little Italy. Boston is big on beer brewing and consumption as opposed to mixed drinks.

There is a lot of activity centered around the Universities, which draws a younger crowd, but formal dancing and some other activities extend into the lower-40's age group. The town is very family-friendly and oriented toward doing things with your children and immediate family. The city quickly gives way to sleepy suburban towns like Concord and Arlington, which many people find appealing places to raise children.

If you are over 30 and tell your co-workers you are going to a club during the weekend, you will get the "aren't you too old for that?" question fairly often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 11:21 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,772,257 times
Not to nitpick, but the MBTA runs after midnight. The last run for the Red Line for example leaves Alewife at 12:15, or 12:20 am I believe, so you can catch the train in say Park Street around 12:30-12:35. I think the last Orange Line trains leave their terminus slightly later at around 12:30. And certain bus routes go even later. Not saying it's on the level of say NYC, but the T does run after midnight.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:38 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,772,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Bettafish is right. We moved here after living in California, and we can't wait to move back. The major differences:

1. The weather is very cold during the winter, so be prepared to spend about 6-7 months indoors. It's tough to motivate yourself to go to the club or take a stroll to a coffeeshop when it's 10F out. On the plus side you get to experience all the seasons, with an emphasis on winter.

2. The people are very uptight and insular compared to laid-back transplant Californians. Most people have family in the area and will do stuff with them or their friends they've known since grade school. This means you'll feel like an outsider and have a hard time making more than superficial friends unless they too are transplants. On the plus side, the sense of community means that people preserve their neighborhoods pretty well and take pride in their homes, so it's a pretty town to tour around.
From Mid-April until the end of October the average person should not have too many issues doing outdoor activities. There really are only about 2 months out of the year where 10F temps are going to happen.

Boston is not Minneapolis. It gets cold here, but not that cold.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:31 AM

1,683 posts, read 2,878,631 times
As a native of Massachusetts, I will agree that may of us have our weekends full and don't really have time for new friends. I am a generally friendly person, but I doubt I would ask someone new at work if they wanted to hang out. Part of it is being busy and part of it is that many of were raised to not trust people you work with, especially people who are on the same level as you.

My wife and I are both from Massachusetts. We could fill every weekend just driving around visiting family, never mind friends who we are beginning to lose contact with because they don't live next door anymore and it is more difficult to see them. Seeing a friend once every few month is considered a win these days.

Plus, the Boston area is all about your life place. You grow up in the burbs, go into the city for school, live there or maybe move out to Sommerville when you graduate, get married and head out back to the burbs. Aside from the very wealthy, I don't know of many people under 30 who still live in the city.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:21 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,529,206 times
Well, I moved out here last year from the central coast of California (SLO area) and I absolutely LOVE It out here. CA was too laid back for me, and the stoner/surfer/vegan/hippie lifestyle was really irritating. I've had no issues making friends in Boston and have plans nearly every weekend with someone or other. I'm going to be starting at Harvard this summer so I'm hoping I'll meet even more people through the program there.

The weather is definitely something to get used to, but I don't understand the whole 'being inside for 6-7 months' thing...I'm outside nearly every day either taking a walk, or going shopping, meeting friends for drinks or wandering the city and it doesn't bother me at all. I have a nice jacket/scarf and some cute Sorel boots and I'm good to go!

You couldn't pay me to move back to the west coast... and that's very true considering I've turned down no less than 5 job offers in CA/WA/OR. I'm a 29 year old woman, if that matters any

Old 03-23-2013, 04:12 PM

3 posts, read 5,326 times
Default Thanks All

Thanks all for your candid feedback.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:40 PM

974 posts, read 1,881,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
True, its not like CA... but did you expect the winter to not be cold?
Still...laughing....too....hard....to....type..... .

Old 03-31-2013, 09:36 AM

313 posts, read 724,601 times
[ITrue, its not like CA... but did you expect the winter to not be cold?][/i]

It's not the cold that has been so hard for me. Heck, I lived in Alaska for 2 years! And when I was up there, I had at least 4 or 5 really good friends within the first year, at the most, and we went all kinds of places together, explored the city, went to movies, etc. Not here. Not at all.

I am a generally friendly person, but I doubt I would ask someone new at work if they wanted to hang out. Part of it is being busy and part of it is that many of were raised to not trust people you work with, especially people who are on the same level as you.

That mindset is 100% alien to me. Everywhere I have lived (and there have been many places) I have made friends at work. Again, sure has not happened here. You are kept very much outside of "the group".

Old 03-31-2013, 03:06 PM

34 posts, read 38,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westwind15 View Post
That mindset is 100% alien to me. Everywhere I have lived (and there have been many places) I have made friends at work. Again, sure has not happened here. You are kept very much outside of "the group".
I agree, I've moved here for work 2 months ago and aside from 2 coworkers in my team, no one as asked me much about my experience here so far, let alone invite me to do something after work. I really feel like an outsider.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:51 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,529,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarties66 View Post
I agree, I've moved here for work 2 months ago and aside from 2 coworkers in my team, no one as asked me much about my experience here so far, let alone invite me to do something after work. I really feel like an outsider.

It's been the opposite for me... I've gone out with at least 5 of my coworkers, and just last Friday went for drinks with the people who live in the apartmet below mine. When people find out I'm from CA, or what I do for a living, I generally get bombarded with questions about the move and tons of suggestions about places to go and visit.

I've lived here around 4 months and I already have a decent group of friends that I hang out with, and I moved out here without knowing a single person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston