Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2013, 08:10 PM

313 posts, read 724,771 times

Advertisements

Being in school makes a real difference, JetJockey, as does being in your 20's when people are not so firmly established in their lives and "patterns" that a stick of dynamite would not make them change.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 08:33 PM

341 posts, read 669,040 times
[quote=JetJockey;28917538]It's been the opposite for me... I've gone out with at least 5 of my coworkers, and just last Friday went for drinks with the people who live in the apartmet below mine. When people find out I'm from CA, or what I do for a living, I generally get bombarded with questions about the move and tons of suggestions about places to go and visit.

I've lived here around 4 months and I already have a decent group of friends that I hang out with, and I moved out here without knowing a single person.[/]

How funny what you say, I found many Boston people did not like people from Cali......I am in SoCal trying to move back.......
I do recall making many more friends in MA than CA......I find CA very impersonal ....probably because it is just too crowded. .....but maybe I made friends there because I was young....now I am old and will be hard to make friends anywhere,,,

Nice that things are working out for you.....

Old 03-31-2013, 09:09 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,424,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parakeet View Post
i'm considering a move from San Francisco to Boston and would welcome any feedback on cultural differences between the 2 cities, the singles scene, and whether there are any fun areas of the city I should consider renting that would have other singles in the 30s/40s age range. Thanks
The singles scene in Boston sucks, and it would super suck at your age cuz BOS is the biggest college town in the USA. There are more women than men so your choices will e fewer. And I have a friend from SF who always embarrassed everyone with his excessive friendliness. If you move to BOS you'll have to learn to mind your ps and qs.

Except for a definite career promotion, there is no reason to leave SF for BOS.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:22 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,835,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
The singles scene in Boston sucks, and it would super suck at your age cuz BOS is the biggest college town in the USA. There are more women than men so your choices will e fewer. And I have a friend from SF who always embarrassed everyone with his excessive friendliness. If you move to BOS you'll have to learn to mind your ps and qs.

Except for a definite career promotion, there is no reason to leave SF for BOS.
Unless the cost of living has become too arduous in SF, I would advise the OP to just stay in SF..

Old 04-02-2013, 04:12 PM

Unless the cost of living has become too arduous in SF, I would advise the OP to just stay in SF..

I agree. She also posted this on the San Diego site, and I suspect it would be a much better choice for her!

Old 04-02-2013, 06:30 PM

34 posts, read 38,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
It's been the opposite for me... I've gone out with at least 5 of my coworkers, and just last Friday went for drinks with the people who live in the apartmet below mine. When people find out I'm from CA, or what I do for a living, I generally get bombarded with questions about the move and tons of suggestions about places to go and visit.

I've lived here around 4 months and I already have a decent group of friends that I hang out with, and I moved out here without knowing a single person.
Well as someone else said; being a woman is a total different ball game... you're comparing apples to peas...

Old 04-03-2013, 07:27 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,532,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westwind15 View Post
Being in school makes a real difference, JetJockey, as does being in your 20's when people are not so firmly established in their lives and "patterns" that a stick of dynamite would not make them change.
I'm not currently in school, and I'll be 30 in a few short months...not exactly 'college aged' anymore I will be going back to school, but it will be during the 'off hours' since I have a full time job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsodie2014
How funny what you say, I found many Boston people did not like people from Cali......I am in SoCal trying to move back.......
I do recall making many more friends in MA than CA......I find CA very impersonal ....probably because it is just too crowded. .....but maybe I made friends there because I was young....now I am old and will be hard to make friends anywhere,,,
Well, I don't like many people from CA either Many of them have a very stuck up attitude that doesn't come across well to others. As for CA being impersonal, I think it depends on where you live. Where I grew up it was in a rural coastal area and people were CONSTANTLY in my business. The last few years I was there, there wasn't a single instance of me walking into a place and not knowing at least 2 people. I hated it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarties66 View Post
Well as someone else said; being a woman is a total different ball game... you're comparing apples to peas...
Maybe...but I've met a lot of transplants, both men and women, and it doesn't seem like they're having problems meeting people. I think it comes down to personality in the end though... I'm fairly gregarious and I've never really had any issues making friends and meeting people regardless of where I am.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:32 AM

363 posts, read 508,942 times
In CA, people become your best friend the day they meet you. They'll invite you to dinner with their family and friends, invite you out, etc.. just after meeting you. Then a few weeks or months go by, contact is lost, and they disappear into the abyss. But it's nothing personal; that's just how Californians are. They and their relationships are fluid. Bostonians might call it "flaky".

In Boston, it will take a long time for people to warm up to you, if they ever do. You could work next to the same person for 2 years before they ask you to join them for a coffee during lunch break.
I've heard this sort of complaint from Californians who tested out Boston and felt the people were "guarded". Southerns say the same thing. It's true.

It's also true that those who don't "get out" after college (the only window of opportunity, really) usually end up back in the burbs doing the same thing and with the same people the rest of their lives- and family drama does takes up the majority of mental energy and time for them.

Yes, like another poster mentioned, you will get the "aren't you too old for that?" comments if you do partying/club activities beyond 30 in Bos, whereas in CA you regularly get people in the 30's, 40's and beyond still living the 25 yr old lifestyle.

Boston is VERY cold. To downplay it is lying to yourself, I'm very sorry to say. I know people from Philly and NYC who think Boston is too cold. My husband can barely get through November weather in Mass and would never consider being present for a February. You don't see the sun for 6 months out of the year. This is a huge drawback. Paradoxically, most Mass homes do not have ceiling heaters in their bathrooms like they do in CA homes.

Yes, Boston closes shop early- the trains and bars aren't open past 1am. People wake up earlier, too: Businesses and offices open at 9 or earlier. At least in LA, SanFran and SanD, you regularly see stores, offices, etc that don't open till 10 or 11am.

Style of dress is more conservative than CA, but that could be due to a mix of weather/tradition for preppy clothes. People in CA go to work in office environs wearing sandals and miniskirts or clothes that resemble pajamas...would never fly in Boston. Same idea with punctuality getting to work; Californians are often "fashionably late" to work, but that will get you fired in Boston.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:18 PM

Californians are often "fashionably late" to work, but that will get you fired in Boston.

It will get you fired in California too. I spent most of my life there. No one thought they could get away with that, anyplace that I worked!

Well as someone else said; being a woman is a total different ball game... you're comparing apples to peas..

Guess not, I am female too.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:48 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,056,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pyg1a55 View Post
Boston is VERY cold. To downplay it is lying to yourself, I'm very sorry to say. I know people from Philly and NYC who think Boston is too cold. My husband can barely get through November weather in Mass and would never consider being present for a February. You don't see the sun for 6 months out of the year. This is a huge drawback. Paradoxically, most Mass homes do not have ceiling heaters in their bathrooms like they do in CA homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston