Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 07:03 PM

3 posts, read 5,340 times

Advertisements

i'm considering a move from San Francisco to Boston and would welcome any feedback on cultural differences between the 2 cities, the singles scene, and whether there are any fun areas of the city I should consider renting that would have other singles in the 30s/40s age range. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 08:18 PM

9,240 posts, read 9,692,398 times
It seems a lot of complains are from Californians lol
In my own opinion, Boston is less diverse for the most part and looks older. Much colder weather too.
Interestingly most of the "good" neighborhoods are far from the coast.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:14 PM

3,080 posts, read 11,034,846 times
Bettafish is right. We moved here after living in California, and we can't wait to move back. The major differences:

1. The weather is very cold during the winter, so be prepared to spend about 6-7 months indoors. It's tough to motivate yourself to go to the club or take a stroll to a coffeeshop when it's 10F out. On the plus side you get to experience all the seasons, with an emphasis on winter.

2. The people are very uptight and insular compared to laid-back transplant Californians. Most people have family in the area and will do stuff with them or their friends they've known since grade school. This means you'll feel like an outsider and have a hard time making more than superficial friends unless they too are transplants. On the plus side, the sense of community means that people preserve their neighborhoods pretty well and take pride in their homes, so it's a pretty town to tour around.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:10 PM

2,713 posts, read 6,078,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Bettafish is right. We moved here after living in California, and we can't wait to move back. The major differences:

1. The weather is very cold during the winter, so be prepared to spend about 6-7 months indoors. It's tough to motivate yourself to go to the club or take a stroll to a coffeeshop when it's 10F out. On the plus side you get to experience all the seasons, with an emphasis on winter.
Not to nitpick, but low temps hit 10F or below just 5 times this winter (Jan 2,3,23,24 and 25). We also saw hi temps in the low 60s in January. There is no reason to spend 6-7 months indoors.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:32 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,060,626 times
Agreed - it's definitely an exaggeration.

There are harsh days during the winter, but it's not constant. And it certainly doesn't confine you to the indoors for months at a time!

Old 03-22-2013, 02:42 PM

3,080 posts, read 11,034,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
There is no reason to spend 6-7 months indoors.
I don't mean in your house, but I mean plan for indoor events. And the cold--even a balmy 40F like today--slush, ice, etc. does put a damper on going out. It's not much fun to have to arrive at an event dressed in survival gear. And there's not too many people at the beach, islands, or playing in the parks right now. That's a big difference from November until May. During these 7 months, the people you see outside are generally either:
1. Hunkered down in their parkas scurrying from their transportation to the bar, shop, or wherever.
2. Cold-looking dog-walkers doing their duty so their dog can do it's.
3. Nutball runners who would probably get their miles in if fire and brimstone were falling from the sky.

Contrast with CA, where the parks, outdoor cafe's, streets, etc. are filled with people year-round save for the occasional rainy day in the winter.

Not saying one is better than the other, just saying that's the difference, as the OP asked. If you like indoor stuff or cozying up inside with a hot drink while 2 feet of snow bury you, then this is the place for you.

-

If you think this is an exaggeration, what are you doing this weekend? Going for a stroll on the beach? Spend a few leisurely hours fishing from the pier? Gonna play a pick-up game of football with some friends in the park? Browsing a farmer's market, or spending a few hours wandering the streets, window shopping? And this weekend is a warm one.

I'll be at an outdoor market, but just long enough to get what I need, and with hat, gloves, and heavy coat in case the wind picks up or Monday's nor'easter blows in early.

Last edited by sponger42; 03-22-2013 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: Added query:

Old 03-22-2013, 02:46 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,883,635 times
Quote:
I don't mean in your house, but I mean plan for indoor events. And the cold--even a balmy 40F like today--slush, ice, etc. does put a damper on going out. It's not much fun to have to arrive at an event dressed in survival gear. And there's not too many people at the beach, islands, or playing in the parks right now. That's a big difference from November until May. During these 7 months, the people you see outside are generally either:
1. Hunkered down in their parkas scurrying from their transportation to the bar, shop, or wherever.
3. Nutball runners who would probably get their miles in if fire and brimstone were falling from the sky.

Contrast with CA, where the parks, outdoor cafe's, streets, etc. are filled with people year-round save for the occasional rainy day in the winter.

Not saying one is better than the other, just saying that's the difference, as the OP asked. If you like indoor stuff or cozying up inside with a hot drink while 2 feet of snow bury you, then this is the place for you.
True, its not like CA... but did you expect the winter to not be cold?

Old 03-22-2013, 03:38 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,592,693 times
Quote:

-

If you think this is an exaggeration, what are you doing this weekend? Going for a stroll on the beach? Spend a few leisurely hours fishing from the pier? Gonna play a pick-up game of football with some friends in the park? Browsing a farmer's market, or spending a few hours wandering the streets, window shopping? And this weekend is a warm one.

I'll be at an outdoor market, but just long enough to get what I need, and with hat, gloves, and heavy coat in case the wind picks up or Monday's nor'easter blows in early.

Winter sport enthusiasts love the New England winter — downhill skiing two hours away, cross country skiing in local parks, snowshoeing, winter hikes and outdoor ice skating. I personally love the four seasons, you can keep the earthquakes and brush fires.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:51 PM

270 posts, read 466,181 times
Back Bay would be a good starting point.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:02 PM

6,783 posts, read 5,932,611 times
I've never lived in California so I can't offer much.

I had a relative who went to UCLA way back when. She hated LA becauseshe thought it was dirty, overcrowded , and industrial. I'm sure its different nowadays. She really liked San Diego, though!

Quote:
1. The weather is very cold during the winter, so be prepared to spend about 6-7 months indoors.
What!?!? WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS!?!? Winter only last about 3 months for one thing, and during it one should go skiing/snowboarding or ice skating! Winter outdoor activities are amazing! And Boston's fall, spring, and summer are great!

Quote:
2. The people are very uptight and insular compared to laid-back transplant Californians.
Ouch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston