Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2013, 06:15 PM

4 posts, read 15,463 times

Advertisements

I am a student who is studying in Northeastern University. From Sep.2013 to Sep.2014, I and my roomates ( we are female) want to live near from our university. We are very interested in an apt, which located in the Hammond St via Tremont St in South End of Boston. However, we don't know whether it is safe enough to live in the place.

Is it safe for us to live in here if we will end our daily class after 9 p.m. and walk from the Ruggles Station to Hammond St?

Any help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 10:50 PM

974 posts, read 1,898,196 times
Hammond St is not the South End- it is lower Roxbury and home to many Northeastern dorms and parking lots. You should not be paying the same rates as living over in the Fenway area because its in "the South End" in realtor-speak.

If you're not city-smart, plan on coming home in the wee hours under the influence of frosty beverages, or have earbuds glued to your head, this is probably not the best area for you.

If you're on the tennis or ball teams, it's close to the courts a nd fields.

Ask some classmates living in the area first if they feel connected to campus living over there. My initial thought would be no, they don't. You may tire of NY Pizza in a month.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:32 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,104,962 times
Quite frankly, coming home drunk or walking with ear plugs on loud in the wee hours anywhere in the city of Boson would be dangerous for a guy, let alone a girl or two. To live in the city, you need to first be streetwise. Then, you can choose the more safe from the less safe...that's all you can do.

That area of NEastern is less safe than the real South End. But both area require a girl (or a guy) to be careful. Better safe than sorry, and there's no need for false sense of safety and coming home alone drunk. Many young ladies in college these days are just plain stupid.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:34 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
It depends how far down Hammond from Tremont St you live. I lived on the corner of Tremont and Davenport and had a birds eye view of that corner and street for 7 years. 98% of the time you will have no problems. But 2% of one year = 7 days. There's a small percentage of people around those projects that are bad characters. Sooner or later you will cross paths, and the wolves have a saying for your type. They say "Poor little lost sheep..."

Frankly I suggest you don't.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:04 AM

2,365 posts, read 1,853,815 times
it's really just on the city side of the thin line between disneyland student neighborhood and low income urban neighborhood. If you grew up someplace like this and are really comfortable, then sure, but if you have to ask maybe reconsider the real reasons the rents on that block are lower than they are on columbus

Old 04-15-2013, 01:41 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,435,058 times
I used to live in Douglass Park apartments. I'm male, Black, and had an oversized sense of my own street smarts. And I loved NY Pizza...

I never walked home on Tremont St at night, I always used Columbus Ave. My eye told me that area was not the place for me after dark, and I would routinely walk the SW Corridor btw Dartmouth and Mass Ave at night without fear.

A college student has no business on the south side of Tremont after dark. As a previous poster said, you may get away with it for a while. But eventually you'll get strongarmed and lose your phone, wallet, backpack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: