Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 05:15 PM

289 posts, read 565,309 times

Advertisements

This morning I had an appointment at Beth Israel. I was early, as usual, and no one else was there. After checking with the woman at the desk, we chatted for a while.

She asked where I was from, and I said "West Roxbury."

"We moved here last year from Texas, and West Roxbury was a place we really liked." I asked her where they finally setled, and she said "Boxford."

"Wow, what a coincidence. I'm part of an internet forum, and last summer I had a long email correspondence with someone from Corpus Christi who wanted to move to West Roxbury. They finally moved to Boxford!"

"*We're* from Corpus Christi! Are you the one who sent us the pictures of the house we were thinking of renting?!!!??"

I looked at her name tag and it was "Jane Doe" "Are you John Doe's wife??!!" IT WAS!! What an amazing thing to meet someone with City Data doing the introduction, very long distance!

Her husband is working as a chef in a very upscale restaurant and she just started working at BI a couple of months ago. This was my last appointment with this particular doctor, and it should have happened before she started working there, so the odds of this meeting taking place were astronomical!

And for anyone wondering about Bostonians being stand-offish and cold? These Texas transplants *love* us! (And *still* really like West Roxbury. But they have little kids and I talked them out of it. )

Three Cheers for City Data!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 05:45 PM

546 posts, read 1,369,921 times
Three Cheers for you Boston Barney, Great to have great things happen

Old 05-06-2013, 05:55 PM

9,928 posts, read 15,504,399 times
That's nice to know. So many of our members give really good advice, but we often never hear of what happened to the original poster.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:56 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,884,946 times
Awesome story!

My success story was with a young lady (she was 24 at the time; I was in my early 40s) from Arizona on the Dog forum. We got to be friendly and, as she had lost her mother, thought of me as a surrogate Mom in a lot of ways. I lived in Connecticut at the time and she and a friend were going to NYC on vacation. She asked, "If I extend my vacation for a few days and my friend goes back to AZ, could I come to CT to visit you?"

My husband was all, "What do you MEAN a stranger is coming to our house and sleeping here???" Hahaha!

She did indeed extend her vacation, rented a car, came to CT, and stayed over. Many giggles and snacks and fun times were had. We're still friends, of course. I'm a pretty good surrogate Mom, I guess.

City Data is a cool place.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:56 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,593,887 times
Good stories Dawn and Barney, glad to hear about the happy endings.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:59 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,433,416 times
I find it incredibly amusing their names are ACTUALLY John and Jane Doe? That's even crazier?

Old 05-07-2013, 06:41 AM

289 posts, read 565,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
I find it incredibly amusing their names are ACTUALLY John and Jane Doe? That's even crazier?

No, sorry, I used that so as NOT to use their real names. Didn't ask permission!

Old 05-07-2013, 06:42 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,813,071 times
Great couple of stories here! Put a smile on my face and a nice way to start the day.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:17 AM

12,631 posts, read 21,784,537 times
Great story about a chance meeting!

I've maintained correspondence with a few people I've "assisted" in their move. I've even met a few, but those were totally intentional. Never had a chance encounter though! Good work.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:24 AM

79 posts, read 224,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbarney View Post
This morning I had an appointment at Beth Israel. I was early, as usual, and no one else was there. After checking with the woman at the desk, we chatted for a while.

She asked where I was from, and I said "West Roxbury."

"We moved here last year from Texas, and West Roxbury was a place we really liked." I asked her where they finally setled, and she said "Boxford."

"Wow, what a coincidence. I'm part of an internet forum, and last summer I had a long email correspondence with someone from Corpus Christi who wanted to move to West Roxbury. They finally moved to Boxford!"

"*We're* from Corpus Christi! Are you the one who sent us the pictures of the house we were thinking of renting?!!!??"

I looked at her name tag and it was "Jane Doe" "Are you John Doe's wife??!!" IT WAS!! What an amazing thing to meet someone with City Data doing the introduction, very long distance!

Her husband is working as a chef in a very upscale restaurant and she just started working at BI a couple of months ago. This was my last appointment with this particular doctor, and it should have happened before she started working there, so the odds of this meeting taking place were astronomical!

And for anyone wondering about Bostonians being stand-offish and cold? These Texas transplants *love* us! (And *still* really like West Roxbury. But they have little kids and I talked them out of it. )

Three Cheers for City Data!
Rep point for you! It is great to hear unbiased information unlike some will only provide biased information in favor of their own community. It is wonderful to hear stororder like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston