Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 08:36 AM

17 posts, read 47,989 times

Advertisements

1400 is not enough for a 1 bedroom in boston? Can someone please give me more details about that? This is shocking to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 11:48 AM

325 posts, read 483,384 times
Suburbs = family oriented.
Urban = singles oriented.

NOt always true but a good rule of thumb.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammer33 View Post
1400 is not enough for a 1 bedroom in boston? Can someone please give me more details about that? This is shocking to me.
If you're willing to live in a student ghetto that will buy you a rather comfortable apartment... at least it did in 2009 or so when I was last looking.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Tolkienish Figure View Post
If you're willing to live in a student ghetto that will buy you a rather comfortable apartment... at least it did in 2009 or so when I was last looking.
what do people pay for 1 bedroom rent in Boston? I mean nothing too luxury, just nice average place.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
what do people pay for 1 bedroom rent in Boston? I mean nothing too luxury, just nice average place.
I remember finding a decent enough looking 1BR apartment for $1200 - $1500 in that range.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:17 PM

not sure how do people afford this, so expensive. But seems like a fun and good city.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:57 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,778,991 times
I'd say 1200 gets you something barebones to live in and probably small, dingy/old, possibly a basement or attic apt. For something more comfortable, you'd need to budget a little more or get into sharing with roommates.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:28 PM

6,423 posts, read 7,701,918 times
Quote:
not sure how do people afford this, so expensive. But seems like a fun and good city.
The place is overrun by people who are educated, experienced, intelligent, and no nonsense. We do good work and accordingly, make a good living. And if you think rent is expensive, have a look at what a home or condo costs in some areas. Oh, and don’t even get me started with daycare costs – it’s like a mortgage in itself. And there are many people here that also own summer homes.

Yes, this is an expensive place to live. There are many people from top schools and companies that stay or come here so it’s not only expensive but the lifestyle can be competitive and high stress. However, there are those of us who enjoy that type of existence and feel it makes life more fulfilling.

My wife and I both went to grad school at top institutions for our professions and we then accumulated experience. I was eventually recruited to a place here in Boston and she did not have many issues finding the right place for her (she’s friggin brilliant). So we are from wealthy but thankfully make a good enough living to afford it. But we are still surprised at the earning power of many others in our neighborhood. The other thing we see is many people who aren’t high earners but inherited a piece of real estate that is worth close to $1mm. So they live in a place and in an area that is expensive but earn a disproportionate amount compared to the people who bought here more recently. Most people I’ve met that moved here from other areas are high earners and top in their fields of practice. And remember, this is a place where many Harvard, MIT, BU, BC, Brandeis, etc. undergrad and even grad students get a job after graduation and still have to move in with roommates until they get experience and can move up and earn more pay.

Working with the right people at the top organizations in Boston is not for the faint but if one can handle it, they get a level of knowledge and experience that serves them for life.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
The place is overrun by people who are educated, experienced, intelligent, and no nonsense. We do good work and accordingly, make a good living. And if you think rent is expensive, have a look at what a home or condo costs in some areas. Oh, and don’t even get me started with daycare costs – it’s like a mortgage in itself. And there are many people here that also own summer homes.

Yes, this is an expensive place to live. There are many people from top schools and companies that stay or come here so it’s not only expensive but the lifestyle can be competitive and high stress. However, there are those of us who enjoy that type of existence and feel it makes life more fulfilling.

My wife and I both went to grad school at top institutions for our professions and we then accumulated experience. I was eventually recruited to a place here in Boston and she did not have many issues finding the right place for her (she’s friggin brilliant). So we are from wealthy but thankfully make a good enough living to afford it. But we are still surprised at the earning power of many others in our neighborhood. The other thing we see is many people who aren’t high earners but inherited a piece of real estate that is worth close to $1mm. So they live in a place and in an area that is expensive but earn a disproportionate amount compared to the people who bought here more recently. Most people I’ve met that moved here from other areas are high earners and top in their fields of practice. And remember, this is a place where many Harvard, MIT, BU, BC, Brandeis, etc. undergrad and even grad students get a job after graduation and still have to move in with roommates until they get experience and can move up and earn more pay.

Working with the right people at the top organizations in Boston is not for the faint but if one can handle it, they get a level of knowledge and experience that serves them for life.
Thanks, sounds very nice and interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston