Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2013, 02:27 PM

5 posts, read 7,287 times

Advertisements

I am considering a job offer in Hopkinton, and am trying to figure out how close to Boston I could live and still have a reasonable commute. I'm interested in living close enough to downtown Boston that I could easily take MBTA into the city. Are there any fairly hip places to live close enough to Boston to make it easily accessible while still being within reasonable commuting distance to Hopkinton? I would be moving from a small town in Vermont, and wouldn't be interested in taking this job if it forces me to live in an isolated town that's so far away from Boston that I never end up going there. I'm a single guy in his 40s who wants to be around some nightlife rather than stuck in suburbia. Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 02:48 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,584,490 times
Providence RI?

Old 05-02-2013, 03:30 PM
Status: "On my way to sunny South Carolina" (set 15 hours ago)

9,914 posts, read 15,479,857 times
The T only runs out as far as Newton. You could commute from there if you take the turnpike.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:20 AM

8,525 posts, read 13,904,246 times
If you lived in West Newton you could hop right on the MA Pike in the morning quite easily. It's no Brookline or downtown Boston but has a lot more going on than Hopkinton.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:57 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,849,271 times
Depending on what length a commute you're okay with, I wouldn't rule out Brookline. The Coolidge Corner neighborhood, and Brookline Village to some extent, would put you among a population of young professionals, with small eateries and coffee shops and such in the neighborhood, and ready access to nightlife in Boston. The down side would be that you might be looking at a commute of 45 minutes or something like that. You'd want to check that closely before deciding to live in Brookline, because the commute could get quite a bit longer depending on the neighborhoods within Brookline and Hopkinton where your home and work were located.

Also keep in mind that if you plan to rent, in Brookline you'd be best off looking for rentals with on-site parking. Brookline prohibits overnight parking on the street, so without on-site parking you'd have to rent a parking space.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:16 AM

546 posts, read 1,368,738 times
You are also going against traffic which will be a boon. I would live as close to Hopkington as I can

Old 05-04-2013, 12:35 PM

925 posts, read 2,731,966 times
You could easily live in Boston itself and commute by car to Hopkinton and get there in about 45 minutes. However, taking the commuter rail to/from work wouldn't be convenient because there are far fewer trains going that direction during rush hour.

If you can share a bit what you're looking for in terms of budget that would also help folks on the forum to suggest towns/cities/neighborhoods that might work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston