Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2013, 07:16 PM

10 posts, read 44,686 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a move to Boston from Charleston this summer and it looks like Dorchester will give me the most bang for my buck. These forums have been so helpful in figuring out which areas are safer than others. Some of the houses I'm looking at are around Hemenway Park — am I right in thinking that's a pretty safe area? What is that area called? I wish I could find something in Savin Hill, but rentals there seem to be few and far between.

Though most of the Dorchester threads seem to focus on the safety of the area, I'm also curious about which neighborhoods are the most walkable. I'd love to be within walking distance of some restaurants, parks, shops, etc., and I'm not sure if any Dorchester neighborhoods offer that walkable, community feeling. Thanks in advance for any input you can offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 10:46 PM

4,881 posts, read 13,742,426 times
For the time being I'm done with posting paragraph upon paragraph after putting portions of Dorchester (and Quincy, Cambridge, etc) under the microscope. Redundant inquiries are one thing, redundant and lengthy responses another. So, with that here's a list of "walkable" Dot enclaves which are also relatively safe after sundown:
Ashmont (more so east of Dorchester Ave)
Lower Mills
Neponset
Cedar Grove
Adams Corner
Due to the once prevalent and still substantial Catholic population you'll sometimes hear a parish referenced instead of a neighborhood. The nicest parishes encompass the areas listed above, all of which are in the southeast quadrant of Dorchester, and are St Brendan's, St Gregory's, and St Ann's. St Mark's is best avoided, ditto for St Ambrose's. St William's covers Savin Hill, and the fairly nice section between there and the South Boston line was once St Margaret's and has since had its church renamed (post-merger) to Blessed Mother Teresa.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:44 AM

546 posts, read 1,368,005 times
There is a cool walking place/park in Dorchester that abuts the Neponset River. I believe that it is called Pope's park or something like that.

I walk in from the Port Norfolk area of Dorchester and there is a paved walking/bike riding path that runs along the river, and then has several paths that are paved that go thru this big park. Quite busy at times and very safe. I just googled it and posted one of its web sites. One of the best walking areas around. The area around the park is great living as well.

Department of Conservation and Recreation

Old 05-12-2013, 08:32 AM

10 posts, read 44,686 times
Thanks, GoyGuy. Your Dorchester posts have been really helpful so far. So is the area between the Shawmut and Ashmont T stations Peabody Square? Google Street view looks nice there, but wondering about its reputation.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:46 AM
miu

17,758 posts, read 40,005,634 times
airy311 - Have you taken the time to read ALL the other threads about Dorchester already made in this forum? Just use the "search box" function. And focus on GoGuy's posts if you are pressed for time.

But here are just two of many threads regarding safe areas in Dorchester:

//www.city-data.com/forum/bosto...hester-ma.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/bosto...orchester.html

Old 05-15-2013, 05:04 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,972,253 times
Check out Wellesley Park. I lived there years ago....it's such a beautiful neighborhood with the old gas lantern street lights.

Dorchester Atheneum

Old 09-04-2018, 09:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,398 times
Default Walkable and safe neighborhoods

Lower Mills in Dorchester is quite safe and a very pleasant area in which to live and walk in. New restaurants
branch library, friendly neighbors and merchants make this area very desirable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston