Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 05:06 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,991,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallydoe View Post
Thank so much Kharing for your concern. I appreciate it.

Regarding eevee comments, I think the safety issue is rational. Walking in the dark in some places, such as Roxbury Crossing, might be risky especially in winter. On the other hand, if the area is lit and busy with people getting off of work at the same time, it might be fine.

Unfortunately I am not local and have never been to such busy cities. So, I really have no idea about the situation. Your (Kharing and eevee) contradictory comments confused me more!

I live currently in Richmond, Virginia and work in the downtown which is considered as an unsafe area. I used to be very cautious, not staying late at work, walking on lit streets and that was OK.
I am actually considering doing a travel assignment in Richmond in the next few months at the Naval Medical Ctr.....okay, so I know where you are coming from. Those same areas in Richmond are similar in a sense to that area in Boston. I would walk around in a group, sure...but again, as a single woman I don't take chances.

I have travelled and lived in many cities....in my opinion, living around college students is safer. I hope that you can visit around the Longwood area to get an idea of what's best for your family before signing a lease. Good luck, and enjoy Boston! It is such a beautiful city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 05:12 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,693,429 times
Quote:

Regarding eevee comments, I think the safety issue is rational. Walking in the dark in some places, such as Roxbury Crossing, might be risky especially in winter. On the other hand, if the area is lit and busy with people getting off of work at the same time, it might be fine.

Unfortunately I am not local and have never been to such busy cities. So, I really have no idea about the situation. Your (Kharing and eevee) contradictory comments confused me more!

I live currently in Richmond, Virginia and work in the downtown which is considered as an unsafe area. I used to be very cautious, not staying late at work, walking on lit streets and that was OK.
many so called moons ago I did live in Roslindale and did travel to school Notre Dame Acadamy
once there when in H.S. we had a murder on the campus anyway the school did move to Hingham.
I also did go to Mission Hill and never did feel afraid but that was along time ago.
never felt afraid either at Roxbury crossing, however at night I am not sure.
at school we always did walk in a group never alone. Mostly Boston but for some places are safe.
Mostly since you will only be here for a short time find what you enjoy and can afford.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Great info. I really appreciate it.

Thank you for suggesting JP. I didn't look carefully in it before. I will add it to the list along with West Roxbury and Roslindale .

Thank you again :-)
JP near the pond nice but count on big money to rent and then add the heat.
JP also is right off Centre Street they all just run together and one never knows
when you zip from the 02132 into the 02131 .
West Roxbury is maybe the best for some that Boston has. Also if you are going to focus on the Perfect
there is none. The hard part is you are only here for a short time and a car as you said is best
for weekend trips. I really did like Mission Hill near the famous shrine and often would go a dentist there however
I am not so sure how good it would be for you. Also in winter it does get dark early so factor that into your trip.

Last edited by maggiekate; 05-16-2013 at 05:38 PM..

Old 05-16-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
Evee, your opinions are noted. Please respect that others may not be as savvy or street smart as you may be. I was born and raised in Mattapan and Dorchester (lived there for over 30 years) so trust and believe that I know what's safe and what's not.

The original poster is a single woman who will be travelling alone to and from work....and she has young children. I now live in Baltimore - a much tougher city than Boston EVER could be. I would never recommend that ANY female put themselves in risky positions. Walking through the projects in the dark isn't smart. I don't care how many other people choose to do so.

So to the original poster, take all of our recommendations with a grain of salt. Deuces!
I do agree with you and did from Hyde Park to Mattapan often as a 8 year old kid.
just ride the bus, once I also did wish to move to Baltimore but did relocate to the sunshine state.

I have been gone awhile and do agree winter it gets dark at 4 even when I got a job in Roxbury
which I was not allowed to take. We had a police office so told to walk us to the T.
You gave her great advice and the truth. Also on her budget not lots with a car in winter and snow? Heat also is very costly and often not included. I love and miss Boston but do enjoy the sun better

Last edited by maggiekate; 05-16-2013 at 06:39 PM..

Old 05-16-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:

If you live in Richmod why not take a few days to travel into the Boston area then you get to see
for youself. I also do think you may get a flight into Rhode Island or Logan. then get a car and
decide. Super rich JP by the pond however it is big money. also look at the crime maps etc in Boston I did forget if you do have a car and rent in winter the plow and no on street parking is allowed. so ask where you put your car and
parking is real hard in the city and costly. also if it is cold the heat is super high and many places make you pay.
MA also called taxachussets makes you pay on the service you do get. so check this all out as best you can. Boston at least to me and once I wanted to live near Williamsburg is not too bad and I think it is a great place to be.

Last edited by maggiekate; 05-16-2013 at 06:47 PM..

Old 05-17-2013, 10:19 PM

24 posts, read 43,082 times
Quote:
I am actually considering doing a travel assignment in Richmond in the next few months at the Naval Medical Ctr.....okay, so I know where you are coming from. Those same areas in Richmond are similar in a sense to that area in Boston. I would walk around in a group, sure...but again, as a single woman I don't take chances.
Thank you for this advice and good luck in Richmond!

Quote:
I have travelled and lived in many cities....in my opinion, living around college students is safer. I hope that you can visit around the Longwood area to get an idea of what's best for your family before signing a lease. Good luck, and enjoy Boston! It is such a beautiful city!
Thank you much. I will highly consider this and yes, I will visit the Longwood area and live in a hotel for at least a week before I sign any lease. I am trying to collect as much info as possible to help me with my search.

I have two questions for you please:
1- What if I live in West Roxbury and take the bus (route 39) instead of the orange line? This bus (39) will drop me in Brigham Circle (where my work is), so I won't need to walk from/to Roxbury Crossing.
2- Is Forest Hills station in West Roxbury safe? I know it is a bit far from the downtown and the low income housing in Longwood/Roxbury.

Thanks a lot..

Old 05-17-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
many so called moons ago I did live in Roslindale and did travel to school Notre Dame Acadamy
once there when in H.S. we had a murder on the campus anyway the school did move to Hingham.
I also did go to Mission Hill and never did feel afraid but that was along time ago.
never felt afraid either at Roxbury crossing, however at night I am not sure.
at school we always did walk in a group never alone. Mostly Boston but for some places are safe.
Mostly since you will only be here for a short time find what you enjoy and can afford.
Thank you maggiekate for taking the time writing all those comments.
Yes, I should be careful about my commuting as I will have a typical full time work and you know winter nights!

Quote:
JP near the pond nice but count on big money to rent and then add the heat.
JP also is right off Centre Street they all just run together and one never knows
when you zip from the 02132 into the 02131 .
West Roxbury is maybe the best for some that Boston has. Also if you are going to focus on the Perfect
there is none. The hard part is you are only here for a short time and a car as you said is best
for weekend trips. I really did like Mission Hill near the famous shrine and often would go a dentist there however
I am not so sure how good it would be for you. Also in winter it does get dark early so factor that into your trip.
Yes, JP rentals near the pond exceed my budget. I will keep looking at nearby areas as you mentioned. Thank you!

Quote:
I do agree with you and did from Hyde Park to Mattapan often as a 8 year old kid.
just ride the bus, once I also did wish to move to Baltimore but did relocate to the sunshine state.

I have been gone awhile and do agree winter it gets dark at 4 even when I got a job in Roxbury
which I was not allowed to take. We had a police office so told to walk us to the T.
You gave her great advice and the truth. Also on her budget not lots with a car in winter and snow? Heat also is very costly and often not included. I love and miss Boston but do enjoy the sun better
Yes, that was a great advice. I will highly consider that.

Quote:
If you live in Richmod why not take a few days to travel into the Boston area then you get to see for youself. I also do think you may get a flight into Rhode Island or Logan. then get a car and decide. Super rich JP by the pond however it is big money. also look at the crime maps etc in Boston I did forget if you do have a car and rent in winter the plow and no on street parking is allowed. so ask where you put your car and parking is real hard in the city and costly. also if it is cold the heat is super high and many places make you pay.
MA also called taxachussets makes you pay on the service you do get. so check this all out as best you can. Boston at least to me and once I wanted to live near Williamsburg is not too bad and I think it is a great place to be.
I will be finishing some work here in Richmond and will move to Boston at least one week before I sign any lease.
Thank you for letting me know that in winter no street parking is allowed. I didn't know about this before. I will look carefully in all the areas around my work (Brighton/Allston), JP, WR, and will decide.

Thank you and enjoy the sun shine!

Old 05-18-2013, 03:10 AM

27 posts, read 54,064 times
Don't rule out the other side of the river! You could get a nice place in your budget near the orange line in Somerville (or closer to the red line if you don't mind transferring through Park St.). I would much rather be in Somerville than the Boston neighborhoods to the south. Plus, having a car in Somerville is easy compared to other areas in Boston... I think my resident parking permit was only $20 or so last year and you can park just about anywhere. Somerville is very dense (most people per sq. mile in NE), so it is definitely not semi-suburban, but rent is reasonable (I paid $1650 for a 3bd on Somerville Ave near Central, about 1/2mi from Porter Sq.), it is safe, and there is good access to transit if you pick your spot well.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:34 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
Quote:
1- What if I live in West Roxbury and take the bus (route 39) instead of the orange line? This bus (39) will drop me in Brigham Circle (where my work is), so I won't need to walk from/to Roxbury Crossing.
Brigham Circle is very safe. I have walked through there late at night as a lone female with no fears. Between the students and the late night hospital staffers, there are always many people walking around or waiting for the train or busses in that area of Hungtington.

You might also want to consider Malden and Medford both on the Orange line (Oak Grove, Wellington). Malden is very international.

Allston is more rowdy than dangerous. I even have a friend from another country who had small children while living there with her husband tell me she loved living there.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igknighted View Post
Don't rule out the other side of the river! You could get a nice place in your budget near the orange line in Somerville (or closer to the red line if you don't mind transferring through Park St.). I would much rather be in Somerville than the Boston neighborhoods to the south. Plus, having a car in Somerville is easy compared to other areas in Boston... I think my resident parking permit was only $20 or so last year and you can park just about anywhere. Somerville is very dense (most people per sq. mile in NE), so it is definitely not semi-suburban, but rent is reasonable (I paid $1650 for a 3bd on Somerville Ave near Central, about 1/2mi from Porter Sq.), it is safe, and there is good access to transit if you pick your spot well.
Thank you very much. I have never looked in Somerville. The problem is to walk from/to the nearest orange line station to my work, which is Roxbury Crossing. Based on some advice in this forum, I don't feel comfortable walking from/to Roxbury Crossing, that's why I am excluding using the orange line. I am looking for substitutes, like buses, who drop me at Brigham circle near my work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston