Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 02:33 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,693,429 times

Advertisements

The best bet for you is Centre Street also my job was if I wanted it to travel alone to Brockton my thought
I would rather Boston, however I did it and still did live.

I guess I did know Boston however Brockton but near Bridgewater not as well.

Look at it as it is only for one year if that is what you wish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 02:58 PM

Default you did speak the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
I wanted to add something. Check this to understand what your budget for housing truly is! Hope it helps.

Arizona Salary Paycheck Calculator | Payroll Calculator | Paycheck City
I did try to help but Boston was out of my income budget.
also if she is so well qualified, I guess I would just work with a lesser drain on the income.
however, the famous quote"I no Nothin" Hogans heros, also I really can not see public housing

Old 05-19-2013, 03:13 PM

I was thinking maybe further out towards Plymouth with the computer bus?
Yes, if her husband is home and will do the day job with the kids.
then add the cost of the bus? Also I really can not see her getting public housing in the Boston area
why she does not live here, never did pay income here and there is a long line and not the best to be place.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
I do wish you to find what you are looking for, but your budget is not supporting anything but worst kinds of housing options. There are lead issues in many apartments around here. With young kids, you will be very undesirable tenant. There is big competition for housing everywhere in the immediate Boston area, and landlords often prefer to deal with people who are less "hassle" and have no families.All young families, even with lot bigger budgets, have had same issues around here. Check some of the threads.
You need more money if you think you will want to stay close to your job, or to move far out of Boston, have longer commute in, and hope that your employer will subsidize some of your commuting costs. I do think that you are very brave to try this, but I also think that you are not fully aware of costs of living around here, and unless you are earning more or your husband is working, you will barely be able to feed your kids with all other expenses you will have.
I would get in touch with HR ASAP and see what they can help you with. I do think you should negotiate more money, or rethink this whole thing. Your salary does not support family expenses in this area, unless you are willing to live in crime and drug infested slum. Sorry if this is very negative view, I do think you should be very careful and aware. Good luck!!
You made me laugh why way back I did grow up in the project and had fun why I was 4 yrs old
Yes, Boston is way different but I do recall going to see James M Curley and getting a famous Silver
dollar, and also the Boston Brinks person who gave my dad a kitten for me. yes Roxbury Crossing where my dad did work.

That was Boston way back when: I also do say since I am long gone and see the good times you did good!

Last edited by maggiekate; 05-19-2013 at 04:57 PM..

Old 05-19-2013, 04:42 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
You made me laugh why way back I did grow up in the project and had fun why I was 4 yrs old
Yes, Boston is way different but I do recall going to see James M Curley and getting a famous Silver
dollar, and also the Boston Brinks person who gave my dad a kitten for me. yes Roxbury Crossing where my dad did work.

That was Boston way back when:
Nice memory. Always fun to hear a new perspective about an area.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:54 PM

Default Boston as a kid

Yes in was fun and the ice cream man, I guess then it was a different place and mostly a safe place!
always we would ride the T to root for the last place Red Sox at Fenway, no money so we did the free
bleachers for kids! I guess it was called Group day so we just made up the name and did go to
our bleacher seats in April and cold it was and not so smart we were.

Last edited by maggiekate; 05-19-2013 at 07:05 PM..

Old 05-20-2013, 12:04 AM

24 posts, read 43,082 times
Quote:
I do wish you to find what you are looking for, but your budget is not supporting anything but worst kinds of housing options. There are lead issues in many apartments around here. With young kids, you will be very undesirable tenant. There is big competition for housing everywhere in the immediate Boston area, and landlords often prefer to deal with people who are less "hassle" and have no families.All young families, even with lot bigger budgets, have had same issues around here. Check some of the threads.
You need more money if you think you will want to stay close to your job, or to move far out of Boston, have longer commute in, and hope that your employer will subsidize some of your commuting costs. I do think that you are very brave to try this, but I also think that you are not fully aware of costs of living around here, and unless you are earning more or your husband is working, you will barely be able to feed your kids with all other expenses you will have.
I would get in touch with HR ASAP and see what they can help you with. I do think you should negotiate more money, or rethink this whole thing. Your salary does not support family expenses in this area, unless you are willing to live in crime and drug infested slum. Sorry if this is very negative view, I do think you should be very careful and aware. Good luck!!
Thank you so much. You are right, this is really hard. I am very concerned. I have talked to my boss and the HR to negotiate the salary, but with no luck. They do have a fixed salary for all the post-docs in the division. However, they are willing to pay around 50% of the transportation fees, and other good health benefits.

I found few 'good' apartments in areas like West Roxbury, Malden, Brighton with a price range $1500-$1800 including the heat and hot water. We are calling and setting up appointments to see after 10 days. We will keep looking... Thank you!

Old 05-20-2013, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
The best bet for you is Centre Street also my job was if I wanted it to travel alone to Brockton my thought
I would rather Boston, however I did it and still did live.

I guess I did know Boston however Brockton but near Bridgewater not as well.

Look at it as it is only for one year if that is what you wish.
We have found a couple of two-family homes, apartments near Centre Street in West Roxbury. The price is reasonable actually. We will see and keep looking Thanks a lot for the recommendation.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:13 AM

Quote:
I wanted to add something. Check this to understand what your budget for housing truly is! Hope it helps.

Arizona Salary Paycheck Calculator | Payroll Calculator | Paycheck City
Thank you. That's a great estimate.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:52 AM

27 posts, read 54,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallydoe View Post
Thank you very much. I have never looked in Somerville. The problem is to walk from/to the nearest orange line station to my work, which is Roxbury Crossing. Based on some advice in this forum, I don't feel comfortable walking from/to Roxbury Crossing, that's why I am excluding using the orange line. I am looking for substitutes, like buses, who drop me at Brigham circle near my work.
Don't limit yourself to the MBTA routes... LMA has their own shuttle for employees that picks up all over the city. I used to see it all the time when I would catch the bus in Central Sq. Check it out here: Shuttle Information | MASCO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston