Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2013, 08:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,730 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I are looking to rent a place anywhere in the Allston-Brighton neighborhood. The catch is that we have two young children and brokers have been relunctant to show us places because of lead. Does anyone have experience figuring this out? We come from NYC where the concern is just about peeling lead paint but here it seems to be about any lead at all.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 09:54 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,236,102 times
Tight regulations, and liability will make it unlikely that you will be let in the old non-deleaded place. There is no way around it, except to find a kid-friendly place which is akin to a lottery win nowadays. You might need to expand your search. Lead laws in MA have made renting with young kids a nightmare. There are places around but you need to dig deep, and be very fast. All the best.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:17 AM

95 posts, read 269,097 times
Having recently gone through this myself - the deal is usually this: MA law makes landlords liable for any high lead levels in children up until age six (I think - someone correct me on this if you know better than I), and further, if children under the age of six are to live in a place you own which is not deleaded (or built prior to 1978, which is most of the housing stock in Boston), you must do some type of lead remediation prior to their moving in which can be anything from encapsulation to a full-on lead abatement depending on the results of an inspection.

As a result, most landlords would really rather not bother on this front as it is expensive and time consuming. Furthermore, they aren't really allowed to raise the rent post-facto on a place, so they'll end up paying a lot of money to get the lead out for the same return on a tenant. So this is the reason why a lot of brokers are reticent in showing. LLs will usually find some reason to deny your application if you do manage to apply to rent the place in these cases, as they know you likely will not feel like spending the time or money to build a housing discrimination case against them when you are trying to find a place to move into in two months.

All of this is to say that it is tough, no bones about it. Not impossible, as lots of people have children here in Boston and not all of them own - but it will take some strategic planning and thinking. Firstly, is there any reason that you need to be in Brighton/Allston? Aside from the fact that neither of these neighborhoods are all that great for a small family (undergrad central - summer isn't too bad but once September 1 hits, you'll have quite a different experience), they are also probably the least likely areas (aside from Oak/Washington Square near the Newton border) to have LLs wwho have done or are willing to do lead abatement. Most of the apartments in this area are designed for undergrads who don't care about a crappy apt and are probably going to crap it up further, so most landlords just try to keep their places at the bare minimum of inhabitable space, and some not even this. You'll have better luck if you move west towards Newton ($$$), northwest towards Watertown ($$), and maybe south towards Brookline ($$$$). Of the three, Watertown is probably the most affordable, and it was where I recently found my own lead-free apartment.

You'll also need to be a bit ruthless if you do find a lead-free place you like. There is no going home to talk it over for a day with these places, as it will be gone when you call back! People regularly bring a checkbook to showings and cut a deposit on the spot if they like the place, so be prepared to do this! My wife and I talked everything out about what we wanted and such ahead of time so that when at the showing we could do a five minute huddle to be sure we were on the same page and be ready to take it. Best of luck, stay vigilant on craigslist, consider some of these other areas and you'll be able to find something I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston