Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2013, 05:07 PM

208 posts, read 247,205 times

Advertisements

so i will be vising boston on the 8th this coming sat.. my other half will be down there on thursday as him and his nephew have a fishing day trip planned on friday. i am arrving in south station. mid morning. we will have a rental car to get around the city somethings i would like to do and see..

does boston have an open air food market like nyc something where you can get local foods and such..

any discount shopping places for women not looking for boston stuff. just maybe a summer casual dress

i love georgetown cupcake and have been to the nyc location. i do want to bring cupcakes home as i am a hobby baker and obessed with cupcakes they run 15 for a half dozen and 29 for a dozen but is there like any other cupcake places that top georgetown cupcakes.?

any places were you can get homemade ice cream i hate ice cream shops that import ice cream from well know sources like hersheys or turkey hill. i want the real stuff made on premises it could be ice cream or gellato

there is this burger joint in cambridge its called mr bartleys burgers i saw them on some food channel and the food looked amazing. is the food really that good it looked inexpensive.. is there a place in the same price range that has craft burgers ( burgers that are unique and dressed up with different toppings) no five guys no mooya nothing on those lines i can get them in ct any time . I want something different

i do love the italian section of the city going to hit them up...

last time i was in the city we stayed over night at the parker house. we went to fanuell hall area and the south end. and ended up going to watertown for dinner at this armenian resteraunt
and the food was amazing. we saw the harbor. not looking to do any musemus or anything that will cost $$ to get in ..

we also ate at union oyster house another time we were in the city...
i have a day in the city and leaving later at night to head back home

we are on a budget as far as late lunch dinner goes.

we are also open to a place that has maybe small plates for a resonable price
no aisian food and no mexican

we like italian, bbq, american, seafood middle eastern, greek armenian, and irish/english pub fare
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 09:11 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,254,112 times
First, why get a rental car if you are spending the whole day in Boston? Use the T - much more efficient and much cheaper.

Second, just be aware that on Saturday (really all this week, but Saturday will be the biggest day) is Gay Pride in Boston, including a parade from Copley to City Hall and then a festival at City Hall Plaza. It will be very busy and lots of people roaming around that area and nearby Faneuil Hall and such. Yet another reason to take the T around.

Now for some specifics:

(1) Haymarket (near the North End) has a huge public farmer's market. Lots of fresh produce, fish, etc.
(2) Bartley's Burgers is near Harvard Square (off the Red Line). That is pretty 'out of the way' with the other things you wanted to do (Haymarket, Faneuil Hall, North End). You may want to consider if that is a definite must for your short time in the city.

Good luck!

Old 06-03-2013, 09:30 AM

283 posts, read 989,984 times
Really, a car is the LAST thing you want. Ride the T and wear your walking shoes.. Read this as well http://www.lonelyplanet.com/usa/boston

Old 06-03-2013, 10:03 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
For one day in Boston I say hit the Freedom Trail and you'll get your best one day experience.

I think Boston sorely lacks for ice cream. Shop for clothes in NY not Boston.

Different burger? Well, with one day in Boston, burger usually doesn't make my agenda - I pig out on seafood at Quincy Market. But I if I have a few days, I most definitely want to get a burger from B-Good. Quite unique. Low fat, healthiest burgers on the planet. Several unique ideas - so yum. Fries are not fried but baked. I swear it might be good for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyechica View Post
so i will be vising boston on the 8th this coming sat.. my other half will be down there on thursday as him and his nephew have a fishing day trip planned on friday. i am arrving in south station. mid morning. we will have a rental car to get around the city somethings i would like to do and see..

does boston have an open air food market like nyc something where you can get local foods and such..

any discount shopping places for women not looking for boston stuff. just maybe a summer casual dress

i love georgetown cupcake and have been to the nyc location. i do want to bring cupcakes home as i am a hobby baker and obessed with cupcakes they run 15 for a half dozen and 29 for a dozen but is there like any other cupcake places that top georgetown cupcakes.?

any places were you can get homemade ice cream i hate ice cream shops that import ice cream from well know sources like hersheys or turkey hill. i want the real stuff made on premises it could be ice cream or gellato

there is this burger joint in cambridge its called mr bartleys burgers i saw them on some food channel and the food looked amazing. is the food really that good it looked inexpensive.. is there a place in the same price range that has craft burgers ( burgers that are unique and dressed up with different toppings) no five guys no mooya nothing on those lines i can get them in ct any time . I want something different

i do love the italian section of the city going to hit them up...

last time i was in the city we stayed over night at the parker house. we went to fanuell hall area and the south end. and ended up going to watertown for dinner at this armenian resteraunt
and the food was amazing. we saw the harbor. not looking to do any musemus or anything that will cost $$ to get in ..

we also ate at union oyster house another time we were in the city...
i have a day in the city and leaving later at night to head back home

we are on a budget as far as late lunch dinner goes.

we are also open to a place that has maybe small plates for a resonable price
no aisian food and no mexican

we like italian, bbq, american, seafood middle eastern, greek armenian, and irish/english pub fare

Old 06-03-2013, 10:09 AM

283 posts, read 989,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
Shop for clothes in NY not Boston.
No sales tax on clothing/shoes in Massachusetts.. And what would be the dif b/w cloths in NY and Boston? None of it is made is the USA anyways..

Old 06-03-2013, 12:12 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Having a car for visiting is definitely more trouble than it's worth. You can walk most places, or take the T. Much better use of time and money. You will not find anywhere to park and you'll spend way too much renting a car.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:12 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,171,291 times
I'll echo the others about ditching the car...

For ice cream I would definitely recommend Toscanini's in Cambridge (near the Central stop on the Red Line; one stop from Harvard).

Old 06-04-2013, 06:55 AM

208 posts, read 247,205 times
thanks for the info let me clear up some confusion. my other half is going into the city on thursday and is renting a car till sat they are heading up fishing on friday to plymuth and his nephew does not have a working car anymore. he got a steal of a deal on the rental car.

we are not going to to the fanulle hall area as we have been in that area many times before and have no desire to see it i do want to get to newbury street ( georgetown cupcake but i want to do that right before we return the car to the airport. i did mention to him he might want to return the car on friday night but his nephew is just outside of boston and he said its easier for him to have the car till saturday evening

Old 06-07-2013, 10:49 AM

125 posts, read 195,012 times
My wife and I just spent 2 full days exploring Boston for the first time, never regretted not having a car once. To get a quick overview of the city's history take a trolley tour, we learned and saw so much. Never had a bad meal once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston