Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 12:51 AM

1 posts, read 8,430 times

Advertisements

Since moving here recently, here's what I've noticed:

1:30 last call rule
Forceful and idiotic state laws
Introverted culture
Cliquish nightlife to a fault. no one talks to each other
No clubs to go to after 2 AM.
Very few fun places to go that are 24x7

The streets feel dead early most nights, and there just aren't that many fun places to go. I have a good job here and like the City, but I wish the nightlife wasn't so incredibly bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 05:52 AM

2,710 posts, read 6,075,552 times
Since this is a 1st post, I suspect this is a troll thread, but I'll reply anyway.

The short answer, IMO, is 'no'. But it really depends on what you look for as far as nightlife goes. Everyones tastes vary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krehnlin32 View Post
Since moving here recently, here's what I've noticed:

1:30 last call rule
Althoigh it depends on the liquor lic, in Boston generally last call is 2am, and patrons have until 2:30 to leave the venue. Same with most cities.
Quote:
Forceful and idiotic state laws
I won't argue this one, but every city/state has what could be viewed as 'idiotic' laws. Look at NYC for example.
Quote:
Introverted culture
Matter of opinion.
Quote:
Cliquish nightlife to a fault. no one talks to each other
Again, matter of opinion.
Quote:
No clubs to go to after 2 AM.
Rise goes to 6/7am. Right now that is the only legal venue. There are other options (usually with full bar) that go just as late, or later, but I won't get into that on a public forum. Do some research.
Quote:
Very few fun places to go that are 24x7
Define 'fun'. Unless you have a $500 a day coke habit, I doubt you're going 24/7. If you do, and you are, move to Vegas. Boston isn't right for you.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:54 AM

70 posts, read 185,132 times
hahaha ^^^ Good one Cliff

I think if you're comparing Boston to other cities in the States, than yeah the nightlife could be a little....slower, I guess.

But Boston isn;t L.A or NYC, or South Beach... the nightlife just isn't that way.

I do agree 100% about the people being in a cliq, I've noticed that when I moved back to the states in 07.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:16 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,291,269 times
Last call in LA isn't that much longer than in Boston.

But yeah, not going to pay much mind to the OP who we'll likely never see again.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:03 PM

11,046 posts, read 12,322,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post

Althoigh it depends on the liquor lic, in Boston generally last call is 2am, and patrons have until 2:30 to leave the venue. Same with most cities.
I've found it to be more the norm that almost everybody is gone by 2 am, last call around 1:30, considerable amount of people gone by 1:45. Have yet to be at a bar until even 2:15 here.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:59 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,585,524 times
Perhaps, you need to try some different kinds of clubs to find friendlier people. I find the smaller unique venues (Irish Pub, Jazz Club, etc.) and the places outside downtown Boston (Somerville, Cambridge) more casual and friendly.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:05 PM

249 posts, read 441,617 times
This obviously isn't a troll thread, and I'm so SICK of everyone screaming "TROLLLLL" whenever someone has ANYTHING bad to say about their BELOVED city! Gahh! People! Lame!

With that being said, while Boston is an incredible city, anyone who says the nightlife is -great- clearly has not traveled to some prime nightlife locales.

Boston is very much like Seattle in its nightlife in that, these people are not of the true party ilk, but rather responsible little nerds who obsess over degrees and hence why they go to the big-name universities that permeate the cityscape.

Nerds and Geeks don't party hard or late.

And stay away from L.A. as the nightlife is similarly overrated.

San Francisco on the other hand has insane nightlife and plenty of venues open very, very late.

Highly underrated party city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Since this is a 1st post, I suspect this is a troll thread, but I'll reply anyway.

The short answer, IMO, is 'no'. But it really depends on what you look for as far as nightlife goes. Everyones tastes vary.

I won't argue this one, but every city/state has what could be viewed as 'idiotic' laws. Look at NYC for example.
Matter of opinion.
Again, matter of opinion.
Rise goes to 6/7am. Right now that is the only legal venue. There are other options (usually with full bar) that go just as late, or later, but I won't get into that on a public forum. Do some research.
Define 'fun'. Unless you have a $500 a day coke habit, I doubt you're going 24/7. If you do, and you are, move to Vegas. Boston isn't right for you.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:14 PM

55 posts, read 101,749 times
Hey there,

I lived in Boston for nearly a decade, most of it in Jamaica Plain near Forest Hills. I wouldn't say Boston has no nightlife, but it is very dependent on where you live. I found most people (myself included) rarely left the neighborhood they lived in unless it was for something specific, like a show in Cambridge or whatnot. Since the bars close AFTER the public transportation stops, and the fact that it takes AN HOUR AND A HALF to get from, say, Forest Hills to Davis Square (on the subway; it's 30 minutes, roughly, via car or a bit more by bike), there doesn't seem to be much of a point. Boston felt very much like numerous cities within a larger one, and for the most part, were as separate. That said, most neighborhoods have their own charm and haunts, so there really wasn't much of a call to venture too far unless I felt like it, and I was always able to find something pretty awesome. I was also lucky that many of my friends lived within walking or biking distance, though perhaps that speaks to the way subcultures form in Boston.

It has its positives and negatives, but overall, I kind of loved my old neighborhood. I had wonderful neighbors, a rad landlord, and inexpensive rent ($1100 at the most, and that was for a 1000 sq. ft. place with a sweet back porch). It's all about how you look at it.

--L

Old 06-26-2013, 05:37 PM

2,710 posts, read 6,075,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the12ronin View Post
This obviously isn't a troll thread, and I'm so SICK of everyone screaming "TROLLLLL" whenever someone has ANYTHING bad to say about their BELOVED city! Gahh! People! Lame!

With that being said, while Boston is an incredible city, anyone who says the nightlife is -great- clearly has not traveled to some prime nightlife locales.

Boston is very much like Seattle in its nightlife in that, these people are not of the true party ilk, but rather responsible little nerds who obsess over degrees and hence why they go to the big-name universities that permeate the cityscape.

Nerds and Geeks don't party hard or late.

And stay away from L.A. as the nightlife is similarly overrated.

San Francisco on the other hand has insane nightlife and plenty of venues open very, very late.

Highly underrated party city.
I called 'troll' because of the OP's thread count. I have no problem with someone bashing Boston. It's has its faults, as we all know, just like any city. But for a first post? It's the calling card of an internet troll.

I agree Boston's nightlife isn't great. I'm all in favor of extending the entertainment lic til 4 or 6am. For one thing, it would ease the rush for cabs at 2am, and then inevitable fist-a-cuffs that ensue. But it's hardly the 'worst nightlife of any major city'. Again, good nightlife is subjective.

Also, I completely agree with you on LA and SF. SF IMO (I love house music btw) is one of my favorite party/club cities in the country. Great scene out there.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:27 PM

6,522 posts, read 6,668,140 times
With public transportation closing down in greater Boston around 1:00 am it makes an extensive nightlife difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston