Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 11:34 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times

Advertisements

I hate commuting on the T during rush hour and I'll be a recent grad most likely working down there. I have a small dog and a car. I prefer to have street parking but I would rent a spot if I needed to. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 12:23 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
East Boston is only a few stops from there on the Blue Line (which I imagine is less crowded than the others, it can't be that bad), it will be far cheaper than anyplace else that close. Anything within a 30 minute walk will be prohibitively expensive (or a hood and still expensive).

Old 07-11-2013, 01:15 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
East Boston is only a few stops from there on the Blue Line (which I imagine is less crowded than the others, it can't be that bad), it will be far cheaper than anyplace else that close. Anything within a 30 minute walk will be prohibitively expensive (or a hood and still expensive).
Hmmm, is it possible to walk to downtown Boston from East Boston?

OP, what exactly is your budget? You're asking for a lot here: a cheap, dog friendly apartment within 2 miles or less of Boston's main business center. I would imagine that the options would be crazy few and incredibly far in between. Oh, and you'll be a recent grad who will likely not be starting off with a high salary but may possibly have debt.

With that list, East Boston would be the best option, but Eastie isn't all that cheap when you take into account how much of it has gentrified. Oh, and don't forget the tolls. You will have to pay every time you want to drive into the city. Not a lot, but it adds up over time.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:51 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Probably Mission Hill or the Fenway, but even then you might need a roommate to make it affordable and 30 min might be pushing it or impossible if you end up working at the Seaport end of town, with all the other people walking to work, traffic lights and cars. I did see a few tiny studio apartments advertisement for around $1,300 in the part of BackBay closer to Kenmore awhile back.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:43 AM

866 posts, read 2,628,526 times
If you don't need an urban environment, you could live in Hull. The commuter boat takes you to Long Wharf near the financial district in 20 minutes. It's much more enjoyable than the T. And rents are much more reasonable.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:52 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,113,588 times
I walk from my place in Southie to Downtown Crossing daily and it takes me exactly 30min, door to cube. I imagine Charlestown would be in the same $ range.

As others mentioned, East Boston would be a cheaper alternative, but you won't be walking. Although the Blue Line is far more dependable than the Green.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:51 AM

316 posts, read 724,124 times
I would move to East Boston and deal with the blue line. I lived in Winthrop for a year and had no issues with T access, and of course it's even easier from Eastie. You'll have plenty of opportunities for beach walking with Revere and Winthrop at your doorstep. The neighborhoods around Wood Island and Orient Heights have not really gentrified the way Jeffries Point has and could offer a safe, affordable alternative to more expensive places in Boston.

South Boston, as Cliff suggested, is another good choice. I lived there for many years. The only problems I find are that it is very expensive now and that parking is kind of a nightmare. It also, in my opinion, has lost a lot of its sense of neighborhood. The area is very transient now - one batch of financial district professionals after another, and hardly anyone says hi when you're out and about. It used to be much more friendly (though there were other issues then of course - this is just an observation.)

Old 07-11-2013, 08:20 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,113,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professeurpablo View Post
It also, in my opinion, has lost a lot of its sense of neighborhood. The area is very transient now - one batch of financial district professionals after another, and hardly anyone says hi when you're out and about. It used to be much more friendly (though there were other issues then of course - this is just an observation.)
Agree fully with this. It's become Allston for the post grad/yuppie crowd. Pros and cons as mentioned.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:12 AM

2,502 posts, read 4,436,759 times
Why can't you guys just answer the OPs question, instead of telling him to take the T when he said he doesn't want to?

I got on google maps and mentally drew a 2-mile circle around the financial district. Cheapest areas will be Charlestown and South Boston, although you might luck into an affordable dump in the South End or Bay Village. In theory you could even walk from a few areas of Cambridge, but those areas won't be cheap. Eastie would be good but it's not walkable, so take it off the list.

Any affordable dumps in the North End?

Old 07-11-2013, 11:25 AM

316 posts, read 724,124 times
Jackson, I will speak for myself here, but I suggested Eastie because the OP used the word "cheapest". I don't think you can really talk about anything being cheap within that radius without mentioning East Boston. Also, as others have mentioned, the blue line is not as horrid during rush hour as the other lines on the T (or buses for that matter - the #7 going to Southie at rush hour, for example, is horrendous, and there will be days when the OP won't want to make the trek on foot (think ice, snow, torrential downpours, etc.))

For what it's worth, I did suggest Southie as well. It's probably a distant second as far as affordability goes. Nothing else that is walkable to downtown is remotely affordable, leave alone the cost of renting a parking place or dealing with street parking in any of the potential areas. Shudder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston