Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 08:10 PM

16 posts, read 39,726 times

Advertisements

Looking to put up a roof deck at my primary residence in Boston where I have roof rights...any recommendations on where to find good architects and/or contractors?

What's a rule of thumb per sq. ft for a normal deck in the Boston area -- anybody done one recently?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 05:53 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpertyhigh View Post
I built one last year in South Boston on an existing condo. I used Abacus Builders, and the architect that drew the plans was Tim Johnson. I originally had wanted a head house so when you walk up the stairs you can just walk up to a top floor landing out onto the deck. Those plans were denied by ISD. After 9 months of back and forth, we came to an agreement to allow me to put in a roof hatch (scuttle) at the top of my back stair case, essentially cutting a hole in the roof. Abacus had done this a few times before and you can see mine and other roof decks on his website.

I interviewed about 12 contractors; only 2 wanted the job. Of the two, they both were very similar in price. Spent a lot of time customizing the railing, trex wood, lighting, electrical, etc. Its a 144 square foot deck area, built with Trex synthetic wood and iron railing, and a 10' x 3' walkway that connects the hatch to the deck. The hatch was a huge expensive in it of itself - $5k. Total price was $23k. It's a very expensive deck but they are almost requirements now for resale on top-level Southie condos.

Hope this helps.
Is yours the Middle St Roof Deck? Looks like real nice work, although the local view leaves much to be desired - not much to look at. I'm sure it looks awesome at night with downtown lit up.

Roof Deck question - when it comes time to replace the roof, how will they deal with the portion that is under the deck?

Old 04-19-2014, 06:58 AM

3 posts, read 13,208 times
Default Roof deck hatch

Hi there. Thanks for your post on your roof deck experience. Has been very helpful in making our decision to redo ours. Will likely reach out to Abacus next week. Anyway, do you mind sharing the name/brand/builder of the domed roof hatch you used. Ours needs replaced. Thanks again.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:53 AM

Default Roof hatch thanks

Thanks for the reply. No problem on the timing, this is an October project for us. Your feedback will certainly help - appreciate it. No need for the pics - your video is all I need. Thanks for doing that as well.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:51 PM

974 posts, read 1,896,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpertyhigh View Post
. I originally had wanted a head house so when you walk up the stairs you can just walk up to a top floor landing out onto the deck. Those plans were denied by ISD. After 9 months of back and forth, we came to an agreement to allow me to put in a roof hatch (scuttle) at the top of my back stair case, essentially cutting a hole in the roof.

Hope this helps.
Did you get buy-in and approval from your neighborhood association before approaching ISD? I see a number of roof decks in Andrew with head houses. I wonder what made your request so different?

Did you need to rewrite your condo docs, too?

Thx!

Old 05-18-2014, 11:39 PM

974 posts, read 1,896,941 times
Thanks for the info! Looking to do this in a few years - I hope!

Old 07-02-2014, 05:39 AM

Default Builder reference

FPH - do you mind sharing the name of the other builder that gave you a quote in addition to Abacus? I'll have architect drawings next week and would like to get a minimum of two pricing options. If you'd prefer to send privately, you can email stormydlm@yahoo.com. Much thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston