Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 10:22 AM

417 posts, read 733,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movelady View Post
I am a resident in the Boston area.

I just wrote a long response, but realized that it's totally irrelevant. I'll message you with all that stuff, instead.

Your question is irrelevant right now. You have more important things to think about. Your husband hasn't applied yet! You don't even know if he'll get an interview! Not to be a downer or anything, but you're getting ahead of yourself - this isn't the time to consider geographic factors and rank cities against each other. Once he's done interviewing (and he should interview anywhere/everywhere that's unlikely to directly cause you depression/illness), then you should ask this question about those cities.

First step: apply.
Second step: interview.
Third step: ask this question again if it will help him/you put together a rank list.
it's never too early to consider areas/possibilities and think out what can/cant work out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 03:04 PM

8 posts, read 10,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringMom3 View Post
it's never too early to consider areas/possibilities and think out what can/cant work out.
Good point.
I suppose all I had to go on (re: advice) was my own experience - the advice given to my entire medschool class was to apply broadly and then narrow things down once interview offers start coming in.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:41 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,554,983 times
His list is still too large--we are trying to decide what to cut and (hopefully) what places to decline interviews if he gets more than expected. The Boston program is a real reach, but it honestly is for everyone who applies. In most of the other programs on the list, the cost of living is doable...it's hard to know about Boston.

He focuses on the programs...I focus on how I'm going to raise 2 kids there and maybe continue working/telecommuting I've posted on a few other city data boards re: cities on our list that I don't know much about or find intriguing and the answers I have gotten have been immensely helpful. I cant see him declining an interview in Boston (heck, it would be a fun visit!), but now he knows it might be wise to ask where people are living, parking, how they are commuting, etc.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:44 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
How much would we have to worry about whether or not an apartment is deleaded?
Make sure it's deleaded or forget it. If there's one piece of advice you ever listen to, let it be this one.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:50 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,554,983 times
How common is it for apartments to be deleaded?

Old 08-01-2013, 04:11 PM

387 posts, read 915,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
How much would we have to worry about whether or not an apartment is deleaded?
The short answer is: a lot. It's against the law for a landlord to rent to a family with children unless the place is deleaded. You may find (as a friend of mine did recently) that a realtor says he or she has tons of listings, but when you show up with a kid or a pregnant belly, the answer is everything's taken. Deleading is expensive, so landlords don't want to be forced to do it.

At your price point, with the deleading issue, your choices would be very slim. If your husband ends up choosing Brigham and Women's, you'll need to contact a real estate agent and start on the apartment search months in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston